Author Topic: We was middle-aged once!  (Read 1820 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We was middle-aged once!
« on: 09 January, 2014, 03:57:34 pm »
It seems some of today's yoof are eschewing alcohol.
Those interviewed in the clip here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25652991 seem very sensible.
Boy do they seem old!
They appear to be drinking water from reused Geeta's chutney jars.
I am not surprised the local pubs are closing!
I think i was a middle-aged teenager; my younger brother certainly was...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: We was middle-aged once!
« Reply #1 on: 09 January, 2014, 07:24:43 pm »
I was eschewing alcohol before it was cool.

Bloody hard it was, too.  My school friends were the geeky types who (other than the token Muslims) were happy to drink, and even get drunk occasionally, but were mostly happy with a couple of drinks, and weren't too bothered by it - the main point of contention was that I didn't hurry up and pass my driving test.  But I got fed up of having to explain myself to everyone I met who hadn't already got over it.  Loud parties where you couldn't have a conversation were the worst.  I'd just sit there looking bored, and people would keep asking me if I was alright, and what had I taken.

Going to university was also hard, because all the social activities in the first couple of weeks involved getting drunk.  Even societies who actually 'did stuff' kicked off the term with a pub crawl or club night.  Which meant everyone else got a head start on knowing each other.  And again, the explaining myself over and over thing.  I had more confidence to say 'no' to invitations when I knew I'd just be bored, by then.

I think it was hard because I didn't have a "good enough" reason (which basically meant anything short of driving, pregnancy or metronidazole).  The association of alcohol with "having a good time" runs deep in British mainstream culture.  The best policy seems to be to lie.

Good luck to them, I say.

« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2014, 09:44:37 am »
I went through School and Uni knowing I didn't like the tastes of beer and wine so didn't drink it. It was only after Uni I have developed a taste for Single Malts. Fortunately I learnt to drive early and was able at my May Ball to show the car keys to anyone who queiried why I wasn't drinking.

However the Uni sociaties I was involved in, Bridge and Christian Union, were social drinkers where not drinking was not uncommon. Add to that two nights a week at Brass Band rehearsals which were outside of Uni and therefore an older group and again it was easy to explain.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2014, 02:13:08 pm »
Yeah it's much easier not to drink when you don't like beer and wine. I mostly only like whisky based spirits and nasty alcopops which aren't as widely available as beer and wine.  I don't drink very much at all and don't like being drunk after one or two stupid incidents as a late-teen.