Poll

Help me decide

Yes
No
You can have mine, I'm sick of the furry bastard

Author Topic: The Chronicles of Pete  (Read 72152 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Shall I get a cat?
« Reply #50 on: 06 July, 2014, 01:19:57 pm »
We keep the bedroom door shut.

"OK, it's just the two Raptors, right?  You're sure the third one's contained?"

"Yes, unless they figure out how to open doors."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #51 on: 06 July, 2014, 01:20:52 pm »
I have already foiled his evil plans by not having any carpets.  :demon:

That doesn't help.  He'll shred the wall/door instead.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #52 on: 06 July, 2014, 01:37:54 pm »
The last cat once made his feelings known by taking a crap on the shower mat, then folding it into a neat little catshit Cornish pasty, ensuring that the next user of the shower didn't see it until they went to shake it out.

I'm not sure why we got rid of the shower mat not the cat.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #53 on: 06 July, 2014, 05:12:32 pm »
Mouse traps are easier...
Ten years of mouse infestation and if only someone had suggested that before! What a fool I've been!

I hope there was an exaggerated hand to forehead slap with that. :-*

I love furballs, but getting one for mice, from experience is not a great idea.  Step cat was scared of mice, the cat ran behind me...others have not caught the mice just played with them till she was bored.  Then the mouse was still in the house.  The other would bring them them in, along with loads of other gifts, such as slow worms, frogs, toads, birds and even a warm chicken breast and lamb chop.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #54 on: 06 July, 2014, 05:14:01 pm »
This seems sensible.

May I also suggest an evening feeding time?  That way he's marginally less likely to pester you in the morning (traditionally by shredding the carpet outside the bedroom door, if they can't jump on your head).
I have already foiled his evil plans by not having any carpets.  :demon: The shelter say they feed him morning and evening, so I'll carry on that way. The good thing is, because the shelter feed the cats on whatever cat food people have donated, none of the cats get the chance to be fussy. So my plan is to buy several varieties of food and alternate them so he doesn't get used to one thing and start turning his nose up at the cheaper varieties.  ;D

Ha ha ha ha ha ha, you think that you are in charge...... :facepalm:

Just wait till the 3am singing the song of his people when he decides that he wants food/attention/litter is not up to standard.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #55 on: 06 July, 2014, 05:47:42 pm »
The only time I've been free of mice was for a few months when Harry was visiting regularly. The new neighbours' dog has terrified Harry out of this stair and the mice have come back. Traps and poison haven't worked at all as a long-term solution.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #56 on: 06 July, 2014, 06:22:46 pm »
How is the dog with cats?  How is your new step cat with dogs?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #57 on: 07 July, 2014, 03:45:23 pm »
Well, my colleague Norma and I went along to get him this afternoon. Amazon haven't brought my carrier yet, so I borrowed one of Norma's. The rescue person went along to get him and when she brought him up to reception he was yowling. We went to put him in the car and he shifted his (considerable) weight and the door flew off the carrier and he jumped out. So the cat rescue people have lent me a crate to get him home in and I think I will use it for his trip the vet tomorrow.

He really didn't like the car journey home, but has been relaxing more and more with every minute since he got into the flat. He's had a sniff around and found his bowls, flatly refused to get into his bed (I might swap it for a flat one as he doesn't seem to like the igloo one), had a cuddle on my lap, and had a stretch on the floor. He runs to me when something frightens him rather than away from me so I think we're going to be ok.  ;D

« Reply #58 on: 07 July, 2014, 04:25:39 pm »
 :D    TTIUWP !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #59 on: 07 July, 2014, 04:46:00 pm »
:D    TTIUWP !

*rushes to the Gratuitous Cat Pics thread*

*presses F5 a lot*
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #60 on: 07 July, 2014, 06:06:28 pm »
I left him alone for an hour or so while I went for a swim. When I got back he peered nervously round the edge of the sofa and looked a bit anxious, but then we had a cuddle, and now he's eating Tesco rabbit chunks in gravy. Pics later.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #61 on: 07 July, 2014, 07:43:43 pm »
This is Pete, just after he arrived.

Further pics in the GCT.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Shall I get a cat? I got one. He's called Pete.
« Reply #62 on: 07 July, 2014, 08:47:31 pm »
 :)
It is simpler than it looks.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Shall I get a cat? I got one. He's called Pete.
« Reply #63 on: 07 July, 2014, 08:58:18 pm »
Good looking lad that :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

Re: The Chronicles of Pete
« Reply #64 on: 08 July, 2014, 07:58:58 am »
We've had a good night. I went off to bed, and left the bedroom door slightly ajar so that he would know where I was and could come in for reassurance if he needed it. He came in, slept on my feet until about half three, and then went off to the livingroom, came back, meowed loudly and started asking him to follow me in a manner which made me think perhaps Timmy had fallen down a well. I got up and followed him, only to find he was unhappy because there were only biscuits in his bowl. I told him that was it till breakfast and there would be no breakfast at such an unreasonable hour, so he followed me back to bed and slept until I got up. And then he ran through at the speed of light and danced in circles while I dished up his Felix pollack with crunchy crumbles, which is the most digusting thing I've ever smelled. So tonight he's not getting in the bedroom at all!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #65 on: 08 July, 2014, 08:27:42 am »
A very good name if I may say so...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #66 on: 08 July, 2014, 11:26:01 am »
He won't touch the Tesco own brand biscuits, so the rest of the packet can go to the shelter when I take the crate back. I got him some Go Cat ones and he likes those. He's happily using his litter tray so I'm not anxious about leaving him when I go back to work tomorrow. And when he really really wants a head-rub, he stands on his back legs like a meerkat.  ;D

« Reply #67 on: 08 July, 2014, 01:34:35 pm »
"The Chronicles of Pete" ?

He can see in the dark & is good at slashing things up ?   ;D
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #68 on: 08 July, 2014, 04:11:34 pm »
We've been to the vet today. He was a good boy at the vet, tolerated his first injection with only minor protest, and then tried to have a snooze on the weighing scales. He weighs 5.8kg!

« Reply #69 on: 08 July, 2014, 04:37:16 pm »
He runs to me when something frightens him rather than away from me so I think we're going to be ok.  ;D
You are going to be more than ok, that's  a really good sign. Congratulations to you both.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #70 on: 08 July, 2014, 08:24:39 pm »
I'll be glad when he's had his second lot of jabs and he can go out. The stink he made in the litter tray was so bad I had to put my head out of the window.  :sick:

One advantage of having wood floors is that when he wants to scratch, he walks straight over to the scratch mat and scratches there.  :)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #71 on: 09 July, 2014, 12:08:27 am »
Stinky poo is affected by diet.

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #72 on: 09 July, 2014, 11:46:44 am »
Some cat litter is better than others at containing smell and not getting smelly from urine. The better it is at absorbing moisture, the faster it dries out turds.

In my experience, biolet cat litter is the ultimate.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #73 on: 09 July, 2014, 12:28:59 pm »
I didn't let him into the bedroom last night. He cried outside and scratched at the door for a few minutes, but I hardened my heart and kept repeating to myself "Boris is fine on his own all night, Pete will be fine too." He stopped crying after a couple of heart-rending minutes, and when I got up this morning he was asleep on what he has decided is his seat on the sofa.* He woke up pretty sharpish though and started pestering me for breakfast.  ;D

I know the wet food is what's making his poo so very awfully smelly, but he's been used to it at the shelter and I'm not intending to change his diet so soon after a move. Besides, in three weeks he'll have his second jags and be able to go out. What I might do is make sure I have my meal before I give him his, as eating seems to make him want to go, and it's hard for me to eat when I'm trying not to vomit from the poo smell. He's a bit unpredictable when he's scratching the litter too - more often than not he forgets to scratch the litter and starts scratching at the wall in front of him.  ::-)

*This is also bobb's seat. I foresee trouble!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #74 on: 09 July, 2014, 06:11:01 pm »
How is your nose?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.