Author Topic: Inspector George Gently  (Read 2250 times)

Inspector George Gently
« on: 06 May, 2015, 09:21:07 pm »
Anyone else watch it?

I'm not paying much attention to the plot (it's like a County Durham version of Erin Brockovich), but it's great fun trying to spot the locations in north east England. Lots of Hartlepool in this episode (the Headland and the beach at Seaton Carew), and they just had a car go over Bollihope Common :D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Inspector George Gently
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:26:19 pm »
No relation of Dirk?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:40:20 pm »
Now there's a programme that needs making. A Mackem Dirk Gently.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:45:29 pm »
I didn't recognise the Hartlepool scenes.I spent a lot of my childhood holidays at Beaconsfield and Watson Street at my Grandad's place, and passed many days on the beach and by the paddlie next to the breakwater.

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:47:11 pm »
there has been aDirk gently TV series - the guy from Green Wing played the character.

« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:48:42 pm »
It was definitely the Headland, you could spot those old houses near the pier. And there was a scene inside a pub, which I think was the Fisherman's Arms, going by the views out the window.

Seaton Carew was the beach, looking across Teesmouth to Redcar Steelworks. It's a great view.

« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2015, 09:58:50 pm »
there has been aDirk gently TV series - the guy from Green Wing played the character.

Aye, Stephen Mangan. Such a shame it was cancelled.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9295997/BBC-cancels-Dirk-Gently-drama.html

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2015, 10:01:44 pm »
It was definitely the Headland, you could spot those old houses near the pier. And there was a scene inside a pub, which I think was the Fisherman's Arms, going by the views out the window.

Seaton Carew was the beach, looking across Teesmouth to Redcar Steelworks. It's a great view.

Last time I saw my grandad he was in a home in Seaton Carew. I was on a touring/walking holiday in Scotland. We travelled down to Lindisfarne and I asked my mates if they minded calling in on the way home so that I could see him. Previously I'd had very close cropped hair, at that time i had long hair and a scruffy beard. When he opened the door he looked at me and after a few seconds there was a smile on his face - 'Ian! the hair's grown, but the smiles the same.' I noticed some cards on his TV. Phoned home and discovered it was his birthday. My mates all clubbed together, we bought him a pack of Capston Full Strength and a bottle of Newcastle Brown and after finding a campsite (Sedgefield Race Course) and eating we went back to see him. His face when he saw his birthday present was a picture. 'How did you know it was my birthday?' We spent a long night chatting and I remember him saying 'Don't expect anything when i go, I came in with nothing and I'm leaving with nothing'. when he died and his will was done, my dad got some cash. it didn't even pay the petrol money from Stafford to Hartlepool. I laughed. I got his Sunderland to Darlington race walk medal - thanks for bringing back the memories Deano :)

« Reply #8 on: 06 May, 2015, 10:12:30 pm »
:)

IanDG

• the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #9 on: 06 May, 2015, 10:16:19 pm »
By the breakwater in Hartlepool -4 generations of Gilberts

img353 by windy_, on Flickr

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10 on: 07 May, 2015, 06:46:31 am »

Aye, Stephen Mangan. Such a shame it was cancelled.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/9295997/BBC-cancels-Dirk-Gently-drama.html

Do not go, Gently, into that...

Oh bugger I'll get me coat.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #11 on: 31 October, 2017, 01:45:31 am »
Tonight was the final episode. Somewhat miffed that it played out the way it did. Plot full of holes and stereotypes and not a patch on the previous plots.

What was unforgivable was the denouement shamelessly ripped off from Get Carter. Admittedly the aerial tramway has long gone but the sea looked just as black...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 31 October, 2017, 07:02:41 am »
What was unforgivable was the denouement shamelessly ripped off from Get Carter. Admittedly the aerial tramway has long gone but the sea looked just as black...

No, no, that's an homage.
</media_ponce>
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #13 on: 31 October, 2017, 08:46:49 am »
They were probably relying on 'people' not remembering a British fillum from 1970.

Fat chance when said fillum features Britt Eklund playing with herself...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.