Author Topic: York Rally 2017  (Read 14517 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: York Rally 2017
« Reply #50 on: 16 June, 2017, 09:23:28 am »
Or, if you are camping in Naburn, fancy a bite at the Blacksmith's on thurs evening?

« Reply #51 on: 16 June, 2017, 12:45:58 pm »
Due to having to attend a family funeral my plans have changed and I shall be travelling up by train on Friday. Therefore I shall not be camping near York on Thursday night. See you all next week.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #52 on: 16 June, 2017, 01:50:14 pm »
Bugger 'em... Booked it.
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #53 on: 16 June, 2017, 02:08:37 pm »
Or, if you are camping in Naburn, fancy a bite at the Blacksmith's on thurs evening?

Don't like assuming hospitality (you know me) and assumed you might have a houseful, so booked the site at Millbridge. Besides, I haven't had a chance to do any camping this year, and it gives me an extra night as I have to go back on Sunday for work Monday (I normally stay till the Monday morning)

A bite at the Blacksmith's would be superb! Are you doing CAIK for the Saturday?
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #54 on: 21 June, 2017, 08:59:24 pm »
Any plans for a night ride if the weather allows?  Really enjoyed the last one which I think Crinkly organised.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #55 on: 21 June, 2017, 09:15:42 pm »
Any plans for a night ride if the weather allows?  Really enjoyed the last one which I think Crinkly organised.

Yes, we're going to Hull on Friday night: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=103010.0

« Reply #56 on: 21 June, 2017, 09:31:10 pm »
Oooer.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #57 on: 23 June, 2017, 11:09:30 am »
ETA York station 13:06
I've made a last minute decision to do the silly night ride as well.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #58 on: 23 June, 2017, 01:47:37 pm »
I've made a silly last minute decision not to change my plans, so I'm staying at home until babysitting kicks in on Sunday.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #59 on: 23 June, 2017, 02:06:05 pm »
Sadly, I will not be joining people at all at the cycle rally.
However, this is for the best of reasons; I am travelling down to see step-daughter & granddaughter in their new house. Twill be the first time I've seen them in months.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #60 on: 23 June, 2017, 02:07:42 pm »
At York station with the Clarionettes. I think we are heading. Of in search of tea

MalRees

• Hayes - centre of no known universe
« Reply #61 on: 23 June, 2017, 02:41:02 pm »
If energy levels are good, LittleWheel and I are planning to drive across tomorrow evening.... Would be great to say hello - it's been too long since we camped YACF style. Not sure how much riding will be possible, but look out for a couple of Moulton TSRs and maybe my old Mal Rees tourer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #62 on: 23 June, 2017, 03:59:59 pm »
Starting off the weekend crammed into the vestibule of a Voyager with a group of Dutch people who obviously think about as much of the dangly bike spaces as I do...

MalRees

• Hayes - centre of no known universe
« Reply #63 on: 23 June, 2017, 04:22:32 pm »
Stroopwaffels required to ease the tension.....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #64 on: 23 June, 2017, 06:06:24 pm »
Escaped the train, made it to the rally field, found a several of YACF/ALCers and am now pitched up and resting my legs a bit pre-FNRttC

« Reply #65 on: 23 June, 2017, 07:59:09 pm »
Have a great time at the rally all . :) fund's are to low for me to come this year  :'(
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #66 on: 24 June, 2017, 09:06:02 am »
Team FNRTTC have just arrived in Hull & are sitting down waiting for breakfast

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #67 on: 24 June, 2017, 10:26:53 am »
Excellent! Please pass on my fraternal greetings!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #68 on: 24 June, 2017, 06:21:42 pm »
Team advanced sleep deprivation are giving the wacky races Clarion's Local ride a miss...

« Reply #69 on: 25 June, 2017, 07:58:36 am »
It's a cold but dry morning. The queue for the showers is too long.
My Exped pillow has failed again! I think its still under warranty after the last one died!

« Reply #70 on: 25 June, 2017, 10:37:03 am »
The bastard bike thieves have visited again. At least 2
Taken last night, from very close to where we are camped.

« Reply #71 on: 25 June, 2017, 01:50:29 pm »
Couldn't make the weekend camping this year, but managed to get up for a few hours yesterday.  Train up from Derby and rode home into the wind, should have done it the other way round!
It seems to have very much transformed from a show back to a Rally, anyone visiting for a wide range of trade stand and exhibitors might have been disappointed, they seemed very thin on the ground.  However a better ride program than I ever remember seeing, more talks organised and generally plenty of activity.   All of which looked like they were getting good levels of participation.
It leaves me more determined to make sure I get the time off to make a weekend of it, but doubt I'd go for just a day again.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #72 on: 25 June, 2017, 10:15:03 pm »
Back a couple of hours ago after ******** Thameslink. Line closed from St P, no onward transport offered. Left to find my own way through bits of London I hardly knew. Ended up via Oxford St, Marble Arch and Hyde Park Corner, all a bit of a shock after York. I will be complaining about the attitude of the staff, particularly a **** of a security guard who insisted on misgendering me despite four corrections.

The weekend? I arrived on Thursday, and set out for Naburn, to be caught by Jan at the Sun. We rode on together and ate that evening at the Blacksmith's.  The next day, Rachel was on duty at the site, and made sure we got on early to get settled in. I spent that evening having a relaxed meal with Pedaldog in the Fox and Roman, enlivened by our encounter with a very old rallying friend on the way back to the site. I hadn't seen Chris for nearly a decade, and he looked very confused, eyes swinging from face to tits and back again.

I did the longer 'family' 20-miler ride the next day on my own, but what the hell. It was a lovely day, windy, as was the entire weekend, but Ricall Methodists were their usual wonderful CAIK-pushing selves. I sort of extended the ride, and in the end covered about 40 miles, which is far more than I have been doing recently. It left me with Proper Tan Burn Lines. Several of us drank BEER that night and discussed Avignon.

Up this morning to find two bikes gone, within 20 feet of my tent. I suppose it was a hint of how the rest of the day would go. In the end, though, the comment from Paul H is accurate: this was a weekend of friends, old and new, and not a shopping trip. I found myself riding happily to Naburn in company on Thursday, and back on Friday, fully loaded, and even in the wind that was a feature of the weekend, my thoughts were a mixture of delight and some confusion as to how I could ever have stopped doing such a joyful thing.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #73 on: 26 June, 2017, 03:00:33 pm »
Thoroughly strong wind going down to York on Friday made transporting my spare car on top of the car a distinctly nervewracking experience.  A gust at the top of Soutra, whose wind turbines were all switched off, actually managed to shift the Quest about five inches across the car roof, but my three ratchet straps were otherwise having none of it and it didn't go any further.  Torrential rain at Jedburgh eased past the car door seals, which were compressed by the ratchet straps, so my right arm got rained on.

After leaving my campsite on Saturday morning a small group of roadies went past.  I chased them all down and overtook with an excess of several miles per hour.  I meant to ease off to let them catch me, whereupon I would have gradually sped up and broken them, but they weren't playing.  Admittedly perhaps they were at the end of a century ride, and I had (mostly) fresh legs; I brought a Real Pillow, but my air mat was too firm as I'd been too tired lazy to let some air out of it before going to sleep, and then I was woken at 4am by the local wildlife, which I valiantly ignored until about 7.30.

I parked at the BHPC tent and was met by fellow velonaut LeeW, and over the morning I answered more questions from everyone and their dog than I could possibly remember.  How much does it cost?  How fast does it go?  Don't you use a flag?  Do you race?  How does it steer?  Does it take luggage?  Where do you ride it?  Can $randomsmallchild sit in it?  An old guy with a lot of wispy, wiry grey hair asked a lot of questions, but he had a very strong Welsh accent and was nearly deaf, so each of us was hard to understand.  I was completely talked out by lunchtime.  LeeW had the advantage because his Milan has a racecap, so people couldn't see inside it.  I ended up having lunch with Clarion and Butterfly (and Nye, but he was too busy sleeping).  The lentil stew was fab. :)

I thought the rally was a bit down on exhibitors though.  Notably, no Alpkit, no Bikefix, no Circe, and no Mike Burrows1.  Spa Cycles had a great display though, as did two electric bike companies, but I wasn't in a buying mood2.  My impression was of a York Rally with only a few deviant bikes and many touring bikes with faded saddlebags.  Some of the talks had audiences that seemed to comprise entirely retired men with white beards.

I did the Velovision pub ride to Naburn in the evening.  The ride was led3 by Simon-something who is the new Howard Yeomans, and I am reliably informed issue 53 is in the works.  Long live Velovision!  The pub was hoaching], and food took ages.  I didn't see a menu anywhere, so consulted my diary from last year and ordered the same pizza. :)  Finished up about 9pm and had a barnstorming run back to the tent.  The skies cleared for a short time around 11pm, so I managed a few shots of Jupiter.

Sunday morning was spent catching up with more people, including Steph and Pedaldog, and Lee who was just about to leave, and then back to the BHPC tent to field even more questions from people, followed by a not-veggie jumbo hotdog for lunch :-\.  I had a final wander around the tents, and still didn't buy anything bike-related.  The red beast had to go back onto the roof of the car, with Butterfly, Nye and Kim supervising the operation.  Then an uneventful drive home again, with the wind still blowing like crazy.

1  Some in the HPV community reckoned this was a good thing.
2  Of course, if Alpkit had been there…I do 'need' a sort of 500ml pot with a lid.
3  He didn't actually know the way, mind.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #74 on: 26 June, 2017, 04:59:34 pm »
The bastard bike thieves have visited again. At least 2
Taken last night, from very close to where we are camped.

Grahams Bob Jackson was found in York today apparently  :thumbsup: