Author Topic: Something rotten in the state of football?  (Read 5232 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Something rotten in the state of football?
« Reply #25 on: 28 September, 2016, 12:39:40 pm »
If the Feds tried that sort of thing it'd be laughed out of court but then one has come to expect most Filthy Lying Journalist Scum, when they hear the phrases "stitch-up", "exclusive" or "front page", or the chink of ready money in large quantities, to reach for the rule book and throw it away.

It's different from cobbling together copy from press release, Wikinaccurate articles and good old-fashioned Lie, but still doesn't show the FLJS concerned to have a more developed set of morals than Warren Clarke Big Sam.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #26 on: 28 September, 2016, 01:05:02 pm »
Well, he showed his true colours and has got what he deserved, but I'm never really comfortable with these undercover journalists though. They've set him up good and proper. Sure, Allardyce dug his own grave, but the journalists gave him the spade. Pretending to be people they're not and representing a business that doesn't exist is as morally dubious as Big Sam himself...

Character is what you do when you think nobody is looking.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #27 on: 28 September, 2016, 01:16:05 pm »
If the Feds tried that sort of thing it'd be laughed out of court but then one has come to expect most Filthy Lying Journalist Scum, when they hear the phrases "stitch-up", "exclusive" or "front page", or the chink of ready money in large quantities, to reach for the rule book and throw it away.

It's different from cobbling together copy from press release, Wikinaccurate articles and good old-fashioned Lie, but still doesn't show the FLJS concerned to have a more developed set of morals than Warren Clarke Big Sam.

I suppose it's different when it's a politician on the receiving end, then? Or at least, only those deemed doubleplusungood by the P&OBIerati?  Apparently, the ends justify any means then, because something... something... profit! party political advantage "public interest". I'd say that corruption in what some claim is our national game has a definite public interest angle.

Had Sam Allardyce possessed a working moral compass and told the "Far East businessmen" (the 21st century's Sheikh Yerbouti) to bog off, the story would be how Big Sam was a rare island of probity in a corrupt sport.

And it doesn't take Nostrodamus to work out what would have happened if the journalists had straight-up asked Big Sam about corruption...

Journo:   Hello, Mr Allardyce, I'm from the Telegraph and have been looking into allegations of far-ranging corruption in the transfer market. I was hoping I could ask you a few questions on the subject.
Big Sam:   Fire away.
Journo:   Have you ever been offered bungs as part of a transfer?
Big Sam:   Nah...
Journo:   Ever heard of any dodgy business practices in English football?
Big Sam:   Nope.
Journo:   Even the merest waffer theen suggestion?
Big Sam:   No comment...
Journo:   Ah, well... our sources must have been mistaken then. Thank you for confirming that English football is as pure as the driven snow. Have a nice day!
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #28 on: 28 September, 2016, 01:59:35 pm »
Ex-England boss Sam Allardyce has said "entrapment has won"

:sick:
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #29 on: 28 September, 2016, 03:12:39 pm »
Well, he showed his true colours and has got what he deserved, but I'm never really comfortable with these undercover journalists though. They've set him up good and proper. Sure, Allardyce dug his own grave, but the journalists gave him the spade. Pretending to be people they're not and representing a business that doesn't exist is as morally dubious as Big Sam himself...

Character is what you do when you think nobody is looking.
Yes, you're right; but on the other hand, it's not a crime to think about a crime.(or even to talk about it, strictly speaking!)

There is something a little nasty about putting temptation in front of people - there needs to be evidence of past misdeed before _I_ could be comfortable with doing such a thing.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #30 on: 28 September, 2016, 08:45:03 pm »
I must admit I was reminded of the fable of the frog and the scorpion.  He's a football manager; that's just what they do.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #31 on: 28 September, 2016, 08:57:30 pm »
I don't apologise for having absolutely no sympathy.  Those of us in the North-West who support rubbish teams are well-acquainted with the Allerdyces' high coefficient of greed - yes, it's a family affair:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Allardyce

In other news:-

Rochdale 1  Bolton 0

« Reply #32 on: 28 September, 2016, 09:40:13 pm »
"Words fail me. The spin from the FA is" What a bargain ,half a million quid  less than we paid Woy"

Those were my words when Sam was appointed. The FA knew about his propensity for taking bungs , they knew he was a second rate manager but still thought that he was somehow going to turn round the fortunes of a team that had loads of talent but no cohesion or plan. His most vital asset was his British passport.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #33 on: 28 September, 2016, 09:43:52 pm »
The FA needs to swallow its pride and hire a German :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #34 on: 29 September, 2016, 08:45:03 am »
I don't apologise for having absolutely no sympathy.  Those of us in the North-West who support rubbish teams are well-acquainted with the Allerdyces' high coefficient of greed - yes, it's a family affair:-

Rochdale 1  Bolton 0

The DT clearly picked on him for a reason.  Like shooting fish in a barrel.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #35 on: 29 September, 2016, 10:06:32 am »

Rochdale 1  Bolton 0

It seems remarkable that someone so totally worthless has their own Wikipedia page. It isn't complimentary. The author of that page must have a serious axe to grind.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #36 on: 04 October, 2016, 07:29:37 am »
Gareth Southgate?

Good luck with that, pal.
Move Faster and Bake Things