Author Topic: [HAMR] 16th March - Day 75  (Read 6220 times)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
[HAMR] 16th March - Day 75
« on: 16 March, 2015, 05:06:40 am »
5:05 GMT and the tracker has not awoken yet.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Re: 16th March - Day 75
« Reply #1 on: 16 March, 2015, 05:24:45 am »
5.24 and *I've* not awoken yet.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2015, 05:27:48 am »
Twitter says he's setting off.

Vince

« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2015, 05:36:53 am »
Still in MK and heading towards the M1, th.ough we know he won't be using it because it's too slow
216km from Marsh Gibbon

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2015, 06:47:59 am »
We could see a lot of trips to the fens, or many visits to March in March this week - by the look of the Countryfile weather forecast last night the winds are mostly coming from the north-east.  But not frost or rain. 

Steve has just done his first series of 4 back to back double centuries.  Today, he should do his 50th 300km ride for the year which would bring up 200 virtual AUK points.  He is 13 days ahead of Tommy Godwin.

Keep it going Steve!
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 16 March, 2015, 07:48:26 am »
Good idea keeping the day n° in the title.

@CET interesting stats, ta.

@Steve: Bon courage. And bangers.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 16 March, 2015, 07:56:59 am »
A good day for a double century, I reckon. I'd do one myself but I've got a dental appointment and I can't find the screwdriver.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #7 on: 16 March, 2015, 09:02:23 am »
Have a good day Steve  :thumbsup:
Eddington Number 75

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #8 on: 16 March, 2015, 11:57:03 am »
Go Steve!
Getting there...

« Reply #9 on: 16 March, 2015, 12:00:02 pm »
Hope you have a good day Steve.  You were totally my inspiration to get round a 200 miler (323 kms) yesterday, especially when the going was tough into a headwind, or after I had crashed and had to limp home bruised and battered.  Kept thinking 'what would teethgrinder do' and the answer was 'get on with it'......and then I got home and realised the full answer would be 'get on with it, then get up the next day and do it all over again, and again, and again'.  So so amazing! 
Does not play well with others

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #10 on: 16 March, 2015, 12:05:32 pm »
Rabbit, you are a lion! Chapeau!

Vince

« Reply #11 on: 16 March, 2015, 12:24:08 pm »
Rabbit, you've reminded me that, actually, riding 200 miles a day isn't at all normal for mortals - I've certainly become blasé with 'only 206 miles today' type thoughts. So need to have a quick

Go Steve

and a

Go Kurt

for good measure.

<passes Rabbit the Germolene> GWS
216km from Marsh Gibbon

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12 on: 16 March, 2015, 12:45:13 pm »
i did 285km yesterday which seemed like a long day on a bike (and i was knackered at the end..), but not as long as Steve is doing every day.

GO STEVE!!

« Reply #13 on: 16 March, 2015, 12:51:37 pm »
Has anyone plotted Steve's daily average speed's so far?  With Steve already doing ~350km @ 25-26km/h, I was wondering to what extent people feel Steve will increase his average speeds to get more miles and his sleep in -  as the weather gets better?  Perhaps his body would adapt to slightly less sleep.

Go Steve!
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #14 on: 16 March, 2015, 12:58:59 pm »
I'm not entirely sure the extent to which Steve's body will adapt to extremes has been properly tested. Speed over 24 hours (Mersey Roads) has, and from memory he kept up approximately 20 mph throughout. How little sleep does he need? Well, he did without sleep when he broke the AUK points record to the extent that he was riding over 1000k a week, with two night rides during the week, and then going to work.

I suppose when the weather warms up we will find out.

« Reply #15 on: 16 March, 2015, 01:10:19 pm »
Increase in speed requires an increase in power to the square of the difference.

17 is 1.0625 x 16.
1.0625 ^2 = 1.1289.

There is 12.89 % more power required to get 1 mph faster.

There is 26.56 % more power required to get 2 mph faster to 18 mph.

To get from 16 to 32 mph requires a 400 % power increase.

16 mph is Steve’s Max Effectiveness speed.

Any slower, he won't get the miles in. Any faster, he'll have to take on more CHO as fuel, at regular intervals, which will mean stopping more often.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #16 on: 16 March, 2015, 01:40:06 pm »
There are a few other factors to consider. 

1) In cold weather the body needs to burn fuel just to keep warm - this impacts performance and also requires more stops.

2) There is an optimum temperature for muscle performance on a bicycle - most of the studies I have seen look at extreme efforts (eg 25 and 50 mile time trials) where the athlete generates more heat - and (from memory) conclude on about 12C - but the temperature would  IMHO be higher for endurance cyclists - operating at a much lower intensity.  The ideal temperature varies between individuals but my legs work best at about 20C.  Nearly all of Steve's riding has been at temperatures much lower than ideal so his legs will not work optimally.

3) Extra clothing, particularly tights v shorts, no matter how stretchy modern materials are, exerts drag on the muscles as they work.  So when Steve can ride in shorts he will get a small performance boost.

4) It is more mentally tiring to ride at night, when there is less perception of speed and more concentration required - there may also be brain chemistry factors going on.  As the days get longer and Steve spends less time riding in the dark, he will get a speed boost.

I can't speak for Steve, but based on my personal experience, there's between 1 and 1.5mph extra speed in the summer from the factors above.  (Stripping out other factors such as a tendency to do more miles and therefore be fitter in the summer).
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #17 on: 16 March, 2015, 01:45:05 pm »
Keep on rolling Steve.

We have a local butcher who makes awesome sausages.   Perhaps in a few weeks you'd like to drop in to us in Rugby for a plate of sausages and whatever you fancy with them?   :thumbsup:

I wonder if Steve has a favourite sausage?

« Reply #18 on: 16 March, 2015, 01:49:36 pm »
I wonder if Steve has a favourite sausage?

Currently, I think it's probably Lincolnshire.

« Reply #19 on: 16 March, 2015, 02:00:55 pm »
When/why would it be anything else?

Justin(e)

• On my way out of here
« Reply #20 on: 16 March, 2015, 02:10:32 pm »
Hope you have a good day Steve.  You were totally my inspiration to get round a 200 miler (323 kms) yesterday, especially when the going was tough into a headwind, or after I had crashed and had to limp home bruised and battered.  Kept thinking 'what would teethgrinder do' and the answer was 'get on with it'......and then I got home and realised the full answer would be 'get on with it, then get up the next day and do it all over again, and again, and again'.  So so amazing!

I'm thinking that would make a great tattoo
WWTGD

« Reply #21 on: 16 March, 2015, 02:15:31 pm »
There are a few other factors to consider. 

1) In cold weather the body needs to burn fuel just to keep warm - this impacts performance and also requires more stops.

2) There is an optimum temperature for muscle performance on a bicycle - most of the studies I have seen look at extreme efforts (eg 25 and 50 mile time trials) where the athlete generates more heat - and (from memory) conclude on about 12C - but the temperature would  IMHO be higher for endurance cyclists - operating at a much lower intensity.  The ideal temperature varies between individuals but my legs work best at about 20C.  Nearly all of Steve's riding has been at temperatures much lower than ideal so his legs will not work optimally.

3) Extra clothing, particularly tights v shorts, no matter how stretchy modern materials are, exerts drag on the muscles as they work.  So when Steve can ride in shorts he will get a small performance boost.

4) It is more mentally tiring to ride at night, when there is less perception of speed and more concentration required - there may also be brain chemistry factors going on.  As the days get longer and Steve spends less time riding in the dark, he will get a speed boost.

I can't speak for Steve, but based on my personal experience, there's between 1 and 1.5mph extra speed in the summer from the factors above.  (Stripping out other factors such as a tendency to do more miles and therefore be fitter in the summer).

For interest.

Marmite Geoff’s ‘Two Battles’ and ‘Tinsel and lanes’ were the same route. One was in Spring and the other in December.

I ride the December event in 10 hrs 20, and the Springtime event without all the clothing layers, in 9 hrs 40.

That’s a 1.4 kmh increase due to less clothing.

« Reply #22 on: 16 March, 2015, 02:20:51 pm »
Too many variables to compare the same ride 4 months apart and base the speed increase on clothing

« Reply #23 on: 16 March, 2015, 02:35:56 pm »
Too many variables to compare the same ride 4 months apart and base the speed increase on clothing

Then it wasn't.

Just an unlucky guess.

« Reply #24 on: 16 March, 2015, 03:13:34 pm »
138 miles so far today according to the ACH google track, and it's only just gone 3 pm  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others