Author Topic: Audax Repair kit  (Read 6019 times)

Audax Repair kit
« on: 24 October, 2022, 07:36:02 am »
To start with apologies if this should be elsewhere on the forum, I wasn’t too sure where to post it.

One of the heaviest things I carry when I do audax is my repair kit.  I wish I could make this slightly lighter, however, dont think I can really take anything out.  I ride fixed gear and do rides over 200k.  I would welcome any suggestions of things I can change or drop to try to make this as efficient as possible.

It consists of -
2 inner tubes
Electrical tape
Small amount of chain lube
Zip ties
Spare chain link
Latex gloves
Tyre levers
Multi tool
Gerber dime for pliers
Patch repair kit
15mm spanner

260A3312-998E-47ED-80E3-4EB6AF63EE83 by Tim B, on Flickr

Re: Audax Repair kit
« Reply #1 on: 24 October, 2022, 08:40:03 am »
I find you sometimes don’t need any of your kit until you don’t take it with you. Sometimes I never use oil, so omit it when I think the ride will be pretty dry, but then it takes up so little space. I’ve known people ride with only one spare inner, no repair kit, then get a double puncture, so your two inners is sensible, especially as some patches (your instant ones?) can be hard to fix in the cold. I carry a spare tyre, in the early days a slither of tyre. On our work bikes we have Halfords multi tools which include a 15mm spanner which I’ve used successfully to remove wheels, which could save you weight/space, if that is a concern.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2022, 08:44:27 am »
Check your bike over before you ride and you won't need all those multi-tools.

« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2022, 09:20:11 am »
I'd maybe chuck in tyre boot patches, a proper spoke key and a gear cable for longer/more remote rides, and Pedros tyre levers because they're the best, but that's about what I take.

Oh, and throw in one of these (or maybe a couple and give them away as and when to other riders) - https://www.wiggle.co.uk/tufo-valve-key?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360406920&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=base&gclid=CjwKCAjw79iaBhAJEiwAPYwoCGFTG8MP3YiBQ6_k997bjgdBnTEWdLWmV94VTGQJqqrxGy2Typ13thoCjvAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2022, 09:43:26 am »
Don't think there'd be much use for a gear cable there ;D

You could get a lighter spanner and multitool, and when do you really need to use the pliers? I can only think of a handful of times I've needed a set.

« Reply #5 on: 24 October, 2022, 09:49:04 am »
You could lose a tyre lever? I only ever carry two.

But I don’t see anything excessive here. It seems about the right amount of stuff.

« Reply #6 on: 24 October, 2022, 09:50:28 am »
I'd add a tyre boot - takes up very little space and weight.

When I had a fixed gear bike, I had a stubby 15mm spanner instead of a full-length one, like so.

« Reply #7 on: 24 October, 2022, 09:55:22 am »
You can improve your roll of tape by winding it around an old credit card. I'd also consider adding a spaceblanket and, if you are riding into the night ,a headtorch.  I'd also up the number of cable ties as its surprising how many times you install the first one incorrectly.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 24 October, 2022, 09:57:23 am »
Replace the spanner with a Jethro Tule.  Lose the Gerber pliers, potentially carry only one tube, though two tubes may still be senible.
 Consider ditching the oil and tape.

Oh, and definitely replace those crappy Lezyne patches with some proper ones.  Especially do this if you go down to one tube - you want some patches that reliably stick.

« Reply #9 on: 24 October, 2022, 10:16:47 am »

You could get a lighter spanner and multitool, and when do you really need to use the pliers? I can only think of a handful of times I've needed a set.

They're good for snares though but, like when we had to be self-sufficient on that Belgian ride...

« Reply #10 on: 24 October, 2022, 10:37:14 am »
I’d keep the Gerber multi-knife-pliers thing. I’ve rarely needed the pliers but have used the knife and or tweezers to pull slithers of metal and stubborn thorns out of my tyre

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #11 on: 24 October, 2022, 10:40:59 am »
that's pretty much what I have.  Obvs I only take the spanner when riding fixed, and instead of a mulit-tool it's the 3 main hex keys I use, and a 8/10mm spanner, and a chain tool (it's seen plenty of use to justify, not least when I did LEL), plus a tyre boot.
no pliers but I don't in general used quick links, I take spare links for the fixed. If geared then I merely remove the offending (broken) link. [note to self - need to update spare links as I*'ve put a new chain on the fixie]
lock, lights, spare batts ... coin to open the lights to change the batts
*fsvo 'I'
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #12 on: 24 October, 2022, 10:42:05 am »
Thanks for all of the useful comments.  The puncture repair kit is an instant one and probably isn’t the best.

I’ll check out the Halfords tool and have a look at smaller multitools and the jethro tule.  Certainly plenty of things to consider.

Many thanks.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #13 on: 24 October, 2022, 10:49:40 am »
I'd keep your Crank Brothers multitool tbh, it's an excellent one. 

I've found that the Lezyne self-adhesive patches tend to come unstuck after a while.  The time they came unstuck in the middle of Alligator Alley in Florida was rather unnerving, and I wouldn't like to particularly like to trust them down a steep hill on fixed. 

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14 on: 24 October, 2022, 10:51:36 am »

They're good for snares though but, like when we had to be self-sufficient on that Belgian ride...

So it was you, was it?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/13/pet-detective-says-stolen-giant-rabbit-is-still-hot-and-a-smuggling-risk
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #15 on: 24 October, 2022, 10:55:52 am »
My tool kit looks much the same (no spanner no pliers but I now carry a folding tyre having had a couple of DNFs where a tyre boot wasn't enough).  + definitely a head torch on overnight rides. 

Im a cautious soul so my rule of thumb is to carry 1 spare tube per 100km plus 1 extra, though I adjust that if I know there are bike shops on the route. 

Massive respect for creative reuse of what I assume is the little soy sauce dispenser that you get when buying some types of sushi - perfect for the job!     

« Reply #16 on: 24 October, 2022, 10:58:45 am »
Massive respect for creative reuse of what I assume is the little soy sauce dispenser that you get when buying some types of sushi - perfect for the job!     
The little bottles that vape liquid come in are great too (and much easier to fill). I got mine off Deano.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17 on: 24 October, 2022, 11:04:33 am »
Check your bike over before you ride and you won't need all those multi-tools.

Pretty much that, plus for longer distances when I'd put a new chain & cassette on a couple of 100 km beforehand and relube the day before.  You can always use the old ones later for less significant stuff. For 1000k & over, new tyres & cable inners, or at least make sure they're not frayed in the shifters.

I still carry a mini Opinel (very sharp), a mini screwdriver and a pair of folding scissors. They weigh half nowt and are great for opening wrappers made of Kevlar when you're 800k in and missing three nights' sleep.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #18 on: 24 October, 2022, 11:13:09 am »

That's true, how else will he catch his haggis?

« Reply #19 on: 24 October, 2022, 12:02:42 pm »
I think it's all been covered.  I'd be tempted by a lighter spanner, carrying specific tools rather than a multitool (Just the ones that fit the bike, probably little weight saving but better tools), I only need one tyre lever, have never had any need for tape, one tube and proper repair kit (inc unopened glue and in a zip loc bag). I also carry spares - brake pads/blocks (I've had a disc brake pad part company with the backing), seatpost bolt (had one snap) couple of screws (inc for cleats) - and there's always some cash in the toolkit.
Think that's about it, whatever you feel comfortable with, though I'm skeptical you'll notice any efficiency gain  +/- 300g of tools.

« Reply #20 on: 24 October, 2022, 12:10:04 pm »
It’s worth remembering that the kind of person who says you don’t need to carry tools if you check your bike properly will also be first in line to tell you you’re an unprepared moron for not carrying a full toolkit when something does go wrong.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #21 on: 24 October, 2022, 12:22:30 pm »
With a targeted toolkit like that I'd say bulk is a bigger enemy than weight.
I find the Zefal flat tyre levers take up much less space in a bag
I carry small woolftooth quick link pliers which conveniently also carry quick links internally, i've never so far found a need to carry proper pliers on the road but no doubt will at somepoint now I've said that!

Also, more zip ties, you can never have enough of them!

« Reply #22 on: 24 October, 2022, 12:37:12 pm »
Don't think there'd be much use for a gear cable there :-D
I've been on rides recently where a rider has needed a new gear cable. They weight nowt, and
take up virtually no space.

ravenbait

• Someone's imaginary friend
  • No, RB3, you can't have more tupperware.
    • Someone's imaginary friend
« Reply #23 on: 24 October, 2022, 12:43:41 pm »
I've been on rides recently where a rider has needed a new gear cable. They weight nowt, and
But OP rides fixed. So he'd be carrying it for other people rather than himself. A brake cable, on the other hand...

Sam
https://ravenbait.com
"Created something? Hah! But that would be irresponsible! And unethical! I would never, ever make... more than one."

« Reply #24 on: 24 October, 2022, 12:46:33 pm »
But OP rides fixed. So he'd be carrying it for other people* rather than himself. A brake cable, on the other hand...

Sam
*Always be prepared to help other riders.