Author Topic: Why do I feel so dreadful?  (Read 12548 times)

simonp

Re: Why do I feel so dreadful?
« Reply #25 on: 22 May, 2016, 05:50:32 pm »
I've always been a bit dubious about using the phone camera. I've got a strap, so might be tempted to try it out.

« Reply #26 on: 22 May, 2016, 06:51:22 pm »
I've tried the s health app, and have sent an email around to a couple of friendly sensor people to see if they have some kit I can play with.

If all else fails, I'll dig up some old Floyd on France episodes on YouTube and see if it rubs off.

Samuel D

« Reply #27 on: 22 May, 2016, 06:56:36 pm »
If all else fails, I'll dig up some old Floyd on France episodes on YouTube and see if it rubs off.

Now you’re talking. A glass of wine at lunchtime goes a long way to complete happiness.

« Reply #28 on: 23 May, 2016, 01:09:36 pm »
HRV seems to be one of those things where variability is important. You probably need to do it for a few weeks but a rising HRV on waking seems to be the aim. Must be done immediately you wake up for best results. You could try sleeping with a Bluetooth HR strap?

simonp

« Reply #29 on: 23 May, 2016, 01:16:02 pm »
I'm trying out that app. rMSSD was 61 this morning, using the Wahoo TickRX strap. Will be a few days before I have a baseline.

Chris S

« Reply #30 on: 25 May, 2016, 07:35:39 am »
My rMSSD has been increasing throughout this year - started around 22 in January and was 72 this morning. I'm led to believe this is a good thing - but really I don't know; interpreting results seems to be statistical fu.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #31 on: 25 May, 2016, 08:57:03 am »
my personal view is that there are things in your diet that i would not consume (only in emergency, perhaps) - powders, sweeteners etc. i like the food as it comes from the nature and with minimal processing. i'm an advocate of the balanced diet, broad range of food in moderation, preferably organic (junk food doesn't count as food). sleep is very important for recovery, my sleep quality has improved after i stopped drinking coffee. drinking 2-4l of water a day is important too. i hope you feel better soon doc! :)

« Reply #32 on: 25 May, 2016, 10:41:15 am »
Well, I'm feeling better, but pulling one thing out of it would be hard.

1. Not ridden my bike for 6 days
2. Not added any sweetener to food
3. Swapped soy protein supplement for whey
4. Slept a lot (average sleep for the last 7 days up to 7h55m).

I feel pretty good about doing Three Steps to Severn at the weekend. I've really wanted to get on my bike again for a couple of days, which is a good sign. All being well, I'll be riding at the weekend.

« Reply #33 on: 25 May, 2016, 11:12:10 am »
I've really wanted to get on my bike again for a couple of days, which is a good sign.

A really good sign! All the best Dr M., and keep taking care of yourself.

(All too often, the less I ride, the less I'm eager to ride.)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #34 on: 25 May, 2016, 12:41:57 pm »
Aaah... the 'Bouncing like Tigger' state that I can't define but does signify recovery.
Hooray! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

« Reply #35 on: 25 May, 2016, 12:59:48 pm »
I think it's because he had a full fat breakfast ;)

« Reply #36 on: 25 May, 2016, 03:42:19 pm »

Truth.

« Reply #37 on: 26 May, 2016, 07:23:12 am »

Now you’re talking. A glass of wine at lunchtime goes a long way to complete happiness.

Not if one's already on Chlorpromazine.

« Reply #38 on: 26 May, 2016, 10:24:24 am »
Thanks - I find rest hard, but Steve A's description of the need for rest for adaptation rings true albeit at an infinitesimally small level compared to his.  I've felt like I'm grinding to a halt, not getting fitter.

Comparing yourself to others and thinking you should be doing more, when YOU should be doing less is an easy trap to fall into IMO. My daily mileages last year were small beer to what I can do on a standalone day. I was never riding hard, because I wasn't able to and even if I was, one hard day when I had to keep going for a year would have been overdoing it.

Likewise, I've started training with a coach. My training is based on my limits, not my expectations nor what other athletes are capable of. Also what I do is based on the current situation.
I abandoned my training ride on Sunday because my power output fell below what I was aiming for and I felt off. I eased right off and groveled to the nearest town, where I threw up, then checked into a hotel. I could have ridden home but it would have been very tough and done a lot of damage that would have taken a long time to recover from. It wouldn't have been any benefit to my fitness. I would have done if I had a job to go to, then spent the rest of the week recovering. What I did was to rest up ASAP and recover as fast as possible so that I could resume training. The following day, I was scheduled for a rest day anyway so I took that, then the next day I got straight back onto my schedule and did a good day, considering I couldn't prepare for it as well as if I were at home.
I also cut last night's ride short. I did a turbo session in the morning and did the toughest option my coach gave me. I could have done my full ride last night, but it could very well have been to the detriment of today's ride. I may even still have to take the easy option today because I am still tired from the turbo session, then I have a rest day on Friday. If I find today easy, then I know to go a bit harder next time. I'm still tired and will need a recovery day, so I'm still getting ahead. Riding hard too much just sends you backwards. As Michael Hutchinson once said, make your hard days hard and your easy days easy otherwise it all becomes a constant mid range effort and has a lesser effect. Doing the easy days is often the hardest thing.
I like what FBOAB said about there not being overtraining, more a case of under recovery. Its the recovery that gets you fit. If you're unable to meet the target, then it's probably because you've done enough already.
The other saying I've heard is that anyone can train like a pro, but we can't recover like a pro.

« Reply #39 on: 26 May, 2016, 08:39:57 pm »
This may be stating the obvious, but if you are finding it harder on the flat now it suggests that some of your weight loss has been muscle and you have lost power ( although your overall weight loss has been enough to increase your power to weight ratio, hence the improvement on hills)
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

« Reply #40 on: 27 May, 2016, 06:53:49 am »
Being a lower mass for the same frontal area, air resistance is having an easier job of slowing you down.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #41 on: 27 May, 2016, 01:29:45 pm »
Being a lower mass for the same frontal area, air resistance is having an easier job of slowing you down.

Indeed; kites vs bombs innit?

Dr Mekon is a kite and getting more kite-like.

« Reply #42 on: 27 May, 2016, 04:41:33 pm »
Thanks - I find rest hard, but Steve A's description of the need for rest for adaptation rings true albeit at an infinitesimally small level compared to his.  I've felt like I'm grinding to a halt, not getting fitter.

Comparing yourself to others and thinking you should be doing more, when YOU should be doing less is an easy trap to fall into IMO. My daily mileages last year were small beer to what I can do on a standalone day. I was never riding hard, because I wasn't able to and even if I was, one hard day when I had to keep going for a year would have been overdoing it.

Likewise, I've started training with a coach. My training is based on my limits, not my expectations nor what other athletes are capable of. Also what I do is based on the current situation.
I abandoned my training ride on Sunday because my power output fell below what I was aiming for and I felt off. I eased right off and groveled to the nearest town, where I threw up, then checked into a hotel. I could have ridden home but it would have been very tough and done a lot of damage that would have taken a long time to recover from. It wouldn't have been any benefit to my fitness. I would have done if I had a job to go to, then spent the rest of the week recovering. What I did was to rest up ASAP and recover as fast as possible so that I could resume training. The following day, I was scheduled for a rest day anyway so I took that, then the next day I got straight back onto my schedule and did a good day, considering I couldn't prepare for it as well as if I were at home.
I also cut last night's ride short. I did a turbo session in the morning and did the toughest option my coach gave me. I could have done my full ride last night, but it could very well have been to the detriment of today's ride. I may even still have to take the easy option today because I am still tired from the turbo session, then I have a rest day on Friday. If I find today easy, then I know to go a bit harder next time. I'm still tired and will need a recovery day, so I'm still getting ahead. Riding hard too much just sends you backwards. As Michael Hutchinson once said, make your hard days hard and your easy days easy otherwise it all becomes a constant mid range effort and has a lesser effect. Doing the easy days is often the hardest thing.
I like what FBOAB said about there not being overtraining, more a case of under recovery. Its the recovery that gets you fit. If you're unable to meet the target, then it's probably because you've done enough already.
The other saying I've heard is that anyone can train like a pro, but we can't recover like a pro.

Thank you for that reply - having taken 8 days off, my bounce has come back - it's lovely to want to be back on the bike again. I plan to try to be more variable in my efforts - and use a diary. Easy and hard. We'll see. 

« Reply #43 on: 05 June, 2016, 11:52:30 am »
So, gastro problems solved, feel good. Heart rate happy to go up again. The big change - stopping taking omeprazole. I'm prescribed it because the mucolytic I'm on, as well as making my mouth incredibly sore, gives me rotten heartburn. I've had a week off and am using gaviscon as required. Going to see my consultant to if we can do anything different. The sore mouth is a pain, the heartburn is a pain, but the gastro problems are just impossible to deal with whilst riding a lot. Feel so much better, sore mouth and heartburn notwithstanding.

Wish I didn't need the drugs, but going from 6 chest infections a year, to ~1, and given I'm prone to complications, I suspect that long term, it'd be something I'd regret.

« Reply #44 on: 05 June, 2016, 04:50:09 pm »
How long have you been on the Omeprazole?  You reduce Vit B12 absorption with omeprazole and if you have been taking it for a few years then it would be worth having a VitB12 level done.

Chris S

« Reply #45 on: 05 June, 2016, 05:34:49 pm »
How long have you been on the Omeprazole?  You reduce Vit B12 absorption with omeprazole and if you have been taking it for a few years then it would be worth having a VitB12 level done.

What Chris is trying to say is - "Eat you Marmite like a good boy."  :D

« Reply #46 on: 05 June, 2016, 08:32:51 pm »
A couple of years. Not had it checked, but am a habitual Marmite knife licker.

According to my pharmacist, my vit D levels should have been checked, and I should be prescribed something different to the OTC stuff.

According to various people, I should have had physio to be taught a breathing technique to clear my chest.

Additionally, I came back "Leeds anaemic".

Instead of any of this being raised at the last appointment, the chest clinic, which is more horrible than an early 90s benefits office, discharged me because they don't listen to their answer phone messages. I really hate going. The paeds CF clinic my kids go to is so much nicer.

Will arrange being rereferred tomorrow.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #47 on: 05 June, 2016, 08:55:46 pm »
Doing Mille Pennines in July, riding with mates who are usually first home on anything on two wheels. Wanted not to be the old man slowing everyone up so...
late as usual BUT - is there any reason you have to ride with people who want to be the first ones back? - just pick a slower group to ride with (it works every time with me :-D).
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #48 on: 05 June, 2016, 09:35:23 pm »
I think this was his approach for the Three Steps to Severn.

« Reply #49 on: 06 June, 2016, 06:55:13 am »
Not at all. Thinking was "ooh that will make it fun. Fun plus stories, and certain to make it around". Had I known throwing your self at the ground was part of your repertoire, I may have reconsidered.

Also, you are quicker than me  on the flat. My heart rate dropped on the hills. I suspect your FTP is higher than mine.

Trying to ride with fast people makes me more focused on looking after my health when I'm not riding. I did a season with a neighbour who didn't put the miles in and got slower. It made audax too trudgy for me, and I stopped trying/training.