Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 851341 times)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #5625 on: 21 June, 2019, 08:44:02 pm »
A new pair of "Audax" tyres for my Audax bike to replace the less than 1,600km Durano Plus with perished / cracked sidewalls and less than 1200 Michelin Pro 4 Endurance with tread peeling off.

Went for the cheap and cheerful option, Bontrager AW1 Hardcase with ye olde worlde wire bead. Ok, so it won't be as plush as high end tyres, but I've had a gutfull of buying expensive "posh" tyres which just don't last...

Certainly heavier (400g) than the pro 4 Endurance, but only 15g heavier than the Durano Double Defense I was also considering. However I've lost faith in Schwalbe since they seem to suffer from premature aging and perishing of the side wall..

So let's see how long these Bontragers last...

--edit -- The Bonty AW1 Hardcases weigh up at 366g and 371g each on the kitchen scales! You can tell I live alone...

If they are like the Bontrager Hardcase Light's that came with my Trek singlespeed, then they will be pretty much bullet proof, but the ride will feel a bit dead. I ran the rear tyre of that set down to the threads without puncturing. The front one is still going.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #5626 on: 22 June, 2019, 04:14:31 pm »
A new pair of "Audax" tyres for my Audax bike to replace the less than 1,600km Durano Plus with perished / cracked sidewalls and less than 1200 Michelin Pro 4 Endurance with tread peeling off.

Went for the cheap and cheerful option, Bontrager AW1 Hardcase with ye olde worlde wire bead. Ok, so it won't be as plush as high end tyres, but I've had a gutfull of buying expensive "posh" tyres which just don't last...

Certainly heavier (400g) than the pro 4 Endurance, but only 15g heavier than the Durano Double Defense I was also considering. However I've lost faith in Schwalbe since they seem to suffer from premature aging and perishing of the side wall..

So let's see how long these Bontragers last...

--edit -- The Bonty AW1 Hardcases weigh up at 366g and 371g each on the kitchen scales! You can tell I live alone...

If they are like the Bontrager Hardcase Light's that came with my Trek singlespeed, then they will be pretty much bullet proof, but the ride will feel a bit dead. I ran the rear tyre of that set down to the threads without puncturing. The front one is still going.

Can't be as wooden feeling as my current Durano Plus though

BrianI

« Reply #5627 on: 29 June, 2019, 02:05:41 pm »
First ride on them today. Not quite as "plush" as the old Michelin 25mm Pro 4 Endurance (which measured up at 25.6mm on my Ambrosio Evolution Rims). Not as harsh though as the 25mm Durano Plus. 

The Bonty AW1 hardcase measure up at 24.5mm on my 14mm internal rims.

Pleased with the tyres so far.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5628 on: 29 June, 2019, 02:49:03 pm »
a rear wheel for the M5 ( I just do not have any time to build one myself right now)
Spare tyre to take on tour with me
Spare pads for the BB7s, again for tour.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5629 on: 06 July, 2019, 12:21:56 pm »
I've just stocked up on Panaracer Pasela 25s, 2 at £17 each and 4 at £19 each.

« Reply #5630 on: 06 July, 2019, 05:39:19 pm »
From where?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5631 on: 06 July, 2019, 06:21:09 pm »
Bought two aldi cycle computers for £2.49 each and some aldi cycling gloves.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #5632 on: 06 July, 2019, 06:29:57 pm »
Last week I bought a messenger bag like this:

From a charity shop...

« Reply #5633 on: 06 July, 2019, 07:13:31 pm »
A frameset, 29x25mm rims, BB, BB wrench, seatpost, headset, set of hub adaptors for thru axle. Now mostly assembled, rims to be done on Wednesday.

« Reply #5634 on: 07 July, 2019, 08:57:04 am »
From where?

Amazon (price gone back up now and not cheap) and Chain Reaction (no stock now)
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/panaracer-pasela-pt-road-tyre/rp-prod53957
I bought up what was available at those prices but then I have been checking prices for a long time. Chain Reaction might restock at the same price but usually they're £22.50 which is what I paid for the pair on my bike now.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #5635 on: 30 July, 2019, 06:39:34 pm »
A Park Tool BBT-29 from Wiggle.

I tried to buy local.  I have a BB tool from the good old days before Shimano decided to shrink the spline on their higher end HT2 BBs.  I also have one of those crappy plastic adapters that Shimano give you to fit the older tools.  I also have a recalcitrant BB, fitted by a shop in Miami, that laughs at the piece of plastic crap.

"Hello" I say to LBS #1 (the one with an H), "Do you have HT2 BB tools in stock?"

Nope.

"Hello" I say to LBS #1 (the one with a W), "Do you ... "

Yes, but only the larger spline.  The guy claims that tools for the smaller spline don't exist, and gives me another of the plastic PieceOfCrap shims.

Except such tools do exist and I've just ordered one from Wiggle ...

Look, I know that shops can't keep everything in stock.  This is a tool for the high end version of Shimano's main BB system though, and both these shops sell loads of high end bikes - the shop with a W is a LOOK dealer among other things, and the shop with an H is frikkin' ginormous.  I recently had a similar experience trying to but quick-link pliers though.  Is it really that hard to stock some fairly basic tools?

« Reply #5636 on: 03 August, 2019, 06:38:27 pm »
Catlike Kilauea helmet in medium- hope it fits me big noggin :/

BrianI

« Reply #5637 on: 16 September, 2019, 09:06:48 pm »
A pair of 110mm 17 degree stems to go on my road bike & touring bike. Since my laparotomy, I don't seem very comfortable in my usual position n the bikes (which have 100m 6 degree rise stems). This should bring the bars approximately an inch higher which should just do the trick.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5638 on: 17 September, 2019, 12:10:53 am »
Not today, but an assortment of recumbent-specific consumables that have to be obtained from ABROAD, where the FOREIGNS might hike the cost of shipping after brexshit.  To say nothing of duty or exchange rates.  (If this turns out to have been a poor investment, I'll be very happy.)

Also a Toplight Line Plus to replace the 4DToplight Multi on the Streetmachine, where the self-untapping Jesus screw is hanging by a thread.  And a couple of those nice Widek brass bells with the reversible mechanism.

Phil W

« Reply #5639 on: 17 September, 2019, 12:18:05 am »
Some stuff for a recumbent bike build. I won't get fully in to the build till early November but wish avoid complications of Brexit, should it happen end of next month.  So similar to Kim really.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #5640 on: 17 September, 2019, 10:23:16 am »

These are all from a favourite German bike shop, bike24

To convert the Galaxy from North Road bars to dirt drops
      Ritchey Comp Venturemax Road 31.8 Handlebar - 2019 - BB Black
      Ergotec Quill 1" - 1 1/8" A-Head Adapter for Threaded Fork
      Procraft SL 31.8 Stem 17° Length: 80 mm

The Genesis Datum front Derailler is severely worn and will break soon
       Shimano 105 FD-5801 Front Derailleur 2x11-speed - silver

For general tubeless use
       ORANGE SEAL Endurance Tubeless Sealant Refills - 16 oz / 473 ml

Going to try making the Surly KM more off roadish
       Michelin Wild Race'R2 Tubeless Performance Line Folding Tire - 29" x 2.25 (57-622)

Let's hope this lasts longer than the one it replaces
       Busch + Müller Lumotec IQ-X Front Light

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5641 on: 17 September, 2019, 10:36:21 pm »
A new FNRTTC compliant cap from Walz, to replace the Robert Smith trademark infringing one that I left on a train a couple of months back.

Actually I bought it two weeks ago but il postino only brought it today.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5642 on: 18 September, 2019, 09:38:10 am »
A towbar mounted rack to alleviate the need to play 3-D tetris with the recumbent in the back of the landy.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #5643 on: 18 September, 2019, 09:29:48 pm »
I've finally stumped up for a Redshift Stopshock stem.
Part of the delay in going for it was deciding what length to get.
After fitting Ultegra 8020 hydro shifters to the Dirty Disco, I've been trying to find the best bar position; the tops of the hoods are much longer than the previous Chorus shifters.
If the new stem is a bit long, I'll just have to work on my flexibility although I still won't be able to do Tuesdays.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5644 on: 22 September, 2019, 01:52:34 pm »
Another track frame, an Australian Jim Bundy this time.  I had most of the parts to make another one, you see  :-[
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #5645 on: 23 September, 2019, 05:52:46 am »
Jim Bundy made decent custom frames but I’m surprised one of them made it out here. An Aussie must have run out of cash.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

« Reply #5646 on: 23 September, 2019, 10:11:14 am »
Brought over by a previous owner, apparently.  Looks very genuine - they have a distinctive extended seat tube.

« Reply #5647 on: 23 September, 2019, 12:51:46 pm »
2 x 700x30c Schwalbe Winter spiked tyres (SUMMER IS OVER! WINTER IS COMING!)

My existing 35mm versions would be too tight on the new commuter so giving the 30c versions a go. Found them for only £21.99 each at SJS Cycles.

Will probably get rid of the old ones on here assuming all is ok (and possibly they generic wheels they are on too - prefer to just have to swap wheels rather than faff with tyre swaps).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5648 on: 23 September, 2019, 09:43:07 pm »
New rim for the fixer. The old one had worn thin, giving a bump when braking as the rim had deformed at that point. I measured the thickness with my iwanson gauge and it was a shade over 1mm at the deformed section. More exciting was measuring the width across the braking surfaces with and without the tyre inflated. There was an increase of 0.8mm on the original 18mm as the ssides of the rim splayed out.

I was after an Ambrosion Excellence but these are hard to come by, so I  settled on an Ambrosio Evolution. ERD is about the same, so a straight swap should work.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

rogerzilla

« Reply #5649 on: 25 September, 2019, 07:56:58 pm »
The Jim Bundy track frame turned up.  Shock horror, it's perfectly straight.  Even more shock horror, it's only 4lb 4oz with fairly fancy ace of clubs lugs and an extended seat tube.  Fantastic piece of framebuilding - perfect mitres.

Paint isn't too bad, although it deserves a refinish, so I'll build it up and ride it for a bit until the weather closes in.