Author Topic: Garmin 800 turning off or freezing.  (Read 20657 times)

Re: Garmin 800 turning off or freezing.
« Reply #25 on: 13 July, 2013, 08:34:09 pm »
Well that wasn't easy; I've just spent several hours getting tomorrow's audax route onto the unit. For some reason it would only accept two of the legs initially and it took me a while to get the other legs loaded. I'm sure it was much easier on the original.
I shall have a map with me tomorrow as well.......

On a more positive note, the Garmin worked OK on today's ride although the built-in mapping only thinks there is one road in Cheshire.
More news; Evans have found my map card.

« Reply #26 on: 13 July, 2013, 09:10:45 pm »
Well that wasn't easy; I've just spent several hours getting tomorrow's audax route onto the unit. For some reason it would only accept two of the legs initially and it took me a while to get the other legs loaded. I'm sure it was much easier on the original.
I shall have a map with me tomorrow as well.......

On a more positive note, the Garmin worked OK on today's ride although the built-in mapping only thinks there is one road in Cheshire.
More news; Evans have found my map card.

Andrew, you have to tell it you are riding a tandem, and then it accepts four legs.  :thumbsup: :facepalm: ;D

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #27 on: 18 July, 2013, 01:43:07 pm »
I think they get deleted from Newfiles once the GPS has booted up and moved them into the Courses memory??
Stick them in some other folder (as well) - then they might be retrievable in case of need.

A good point for LEL controllers might be for control PCs to have some Garmin software installed - at least the USB Driver and Garmin Connect, and a card reader/mSD adapter.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #28 on: 02 August, 2013, 09:20:04 pm »
My Garmin Edge worked well for about 8 months. Then I increased the length of rides and it clearly took exception to this and the data was corrupted and it developed the switching of/freezing/not turning back on issues.  After reading about the problems you guys have had here I knew I was not alone and was confident in contacting Garmin customer service.

I got my returns number on  monday, and sent it back to Southampton, and had a new device on wednesday.  I tried a 200k on it yesterday and it recorded perfectly AND the battery lasted for 13 hours.

Read all about it here:  http://oldbatonabike.wordpress.com/2013/08/02/garmin-edge-800-gps/

« Reply #29 on: 03 August, 2013, 08:41:51 pm »
So far my replacement unit has worked perfectly, including on a 150 mile ride during the week,
Fingers crossed it stays like this.

« Reply #30 on: 02 October, 2013, 10:13:43 pm »
It's still working perfectly.
After this length of time, the original unit had started giving problems.

« Reply #31 on: 28 November, 2013, 11:56:12 pm »
I now appear to have a different problem.
I've started a new thread about the issues.