Author Topic: Bike mount for new Etrex 10/20/30  (Read 19740 times)

Bike mount for new Etrex 10/20/30
« on: 04 December, 2011, 05:01:28 pm »
Is it the same as the one listed for the Oregon and Colorado

as here:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-oregon-and-colorado-gps-bike-mount/

and here:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=52424

Need to be sure for obvious reasons - I know a few souls on here have the new Etrex.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
Re: Bike mount for new Etrex 10/20/30
« Reply #1 on: 04 December, 2011, 05:35:30 pm »
Yes.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2 on: 05 December, 2011, 03:55:58 pm »
*cough*

pentagongps on amazon....

« Reply #3 on: 05 December, 2011, 05:39:13 pm »
??

« Reply #4 on: 05 December, 2011, 06:39:18 pm »
If you dig into their Amazon site you'll find the bike mount for Oregon/Colorado at £9.78.  Interestingly doesn't appear (that I could find) on their own website.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #5 on: 06 December, 2011, 11:33:01 am »
Still very expensive for what it is.  Not that you have much choice, and it is a very good secure system.  Just - well, one bit of plastic?

Working on the principle that no bike component should be used unfettled, I have modified mine by sticking a single strip of PVC tape on the slightly concave surface of the mount plate, covering the small rubber pip.  The pip is, I assume, there as an anti-rattle device, but being so grippy it makes the GPS very stiff to remove from the bracket once fitted.  I find the PVC tape makes GPS removal slightly easier, without of course interfering with the latch.

« Reply #6 on: 06 December, 2011, 12:31:58 pm »
Daft question of the day - the mount arrived.

Slotted it on.

Good firm click.

Now can't get it off (and so of course can no longer even get at battery/SD card).

And can't remember whether I slotted it on from the top or the bottom of the Etrex 20! so don't know which way to push.

It's on the Etrex 20 with the "lip" at the bottom with the "Taiwan" mark on the plastic mount at the bottomof the unit, reading right way up from the bottom.

I have put it on the right way haven't I?

Urgent help needed.

« Reply #7 on: 06 December, 2011, 12:43:33 pm »
I've not yet mounted mine, but it does seem a bit stiff - sounds like frankie's tip might do the trick.
You slip the etrex in from the top, the lip to press is at the bottom.

Yeah, it's a stupid amount of money for a poxy bit of plastic - and particularly one that isn't easily demountable between bikes.

I suspect I may have to do some fettling on mine - I thought I could fix it to the boom of the recumbent just between the seat and headset, but in second thoughts it might be a bit close to my thighs. The other alternative is to faff around making up a bracket (probably ply initially, and finally perspex/acrylic) to allow me to mount it off the top of the headset - it's underseat steering so there's no bars at a useful level. And in the case I may be better screwing on the carabiner mount, and saving the bike mount for the mtb.

BTW - this thread might be of interest:
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13073.0
for making a more substantial alternative (or at least, wrt the old Etrex mount)

It's actually for the older Etrex, using a different RAM mount, but there is a RAM mount available for the new Etrex too -
http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/garminetrexmounts/tabid/3927/Default.aspx

but it's not yet available in the UK:
http://www.ram-mount.co.uk/gps-handheld-garmin-c-360_169_659.html
(the part no's RAM-HOL-GA48U)

Bodging a RAM mount on the 'bent might be a better option for me, raised up another 8" the extra width of the mount makes no odds..

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #8 on: 06 December, 2011, 05:11:30 pm »
I have put it on the right way haven't I?

It's a very beefy latch, and a bit like clipless pedals, if you clip everything together without it being firmly fixed to the bike, it's hard to get apart again.

As mounted to the bars, the latch end of the mount plate is towards you, push the latch downwards and the GPS away from you.  If you haven't got a lanyard on it, put somebody in the slips and gully, to catch it.

« Reply #9 on: 06 December, 2011, 05:30:08 pm »
Many thanks - I sorted it a fair while ago but couldn't get on here (some sort of YACF technical glitch) to give the all clear.

At least I know it isn't going to drop off the bike :)

Yep it is overpriced (12.99 from Chain Reaction) and should be supplied with the GPS but it seems effective. May even be able to swap it between bikes if I don't have to do it too often - I have loads of that size of zip tie.

Very pleased with apparent build quality of the Etrex 20.

thanks for the help

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #10 on: 06 December, 2011, 10:08:56 pm »
for recumbent riders - is it not easier just to have gps resting on chest/belly with laynard around the neck? tilt with one hand to check directions every now and then.

« Reply #11 on: 06 December, 2011, 10:13:55 pm »
I found that the screw head that fixes the back cover must be turned right round so that it lies flush. If it protrudes slightly you are in danger of not being able to remove it. I have only tried mine once to see how it fitted.

« Reply #12 on: 07 December, 2011, 10:47:40 am »
for recumbent riders - is it not easier just to have gps resting on chest/belly with laynard around the neck? tilt with one hand to check directions every now and then.

Possibly a bit of a faff/distraction...I suspect it'd be likely to swing off to one side or t'other anyway.
In any case, my close eyesight seems to have dropped off in the last few years -  a lanyard long enough would probably mean it'd be trying to dangle off near my hips !

« Reply #13 on: 06 April, 2012, 07:59:50 pm »
I've not yet mounted mine, but it does seem a bit stiff - sounds like frankie's tip might do the trick.
You slip the etrex in from the top, the lip to press is at the bottom.

Yeah, it's a stupid amount of money for a poxy bit of plastic - and particularly one that isn't easily demountable between bikes.

I suspect I may have to do some fettling on mine - I thought I could fix it to the boom of the recumbent just between the seat and headset, but in second thoughts it might be a bit close to my thighs. The other alternative is to faff around making up a bracket (probably ply initially, and finally perspex/acrylic) to allow me to mount it off the top of the headset - it's underseat steering so there's no bars at a useful level. And in the case I may be better screwing on the carabiner mount, and saving the bike mount for the mtb.

BTW - this thread might be of interest:
for making a more substantial alternative (or at least, wrt the old Etrex mount)

It's actually for the older Etrex, using a different RAM mount, but there is a RAM mount available for the new Etrex too -
http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/garminetrexmounts/tabid/3927/Default.aspx

but it's not yet available in the UK:
http://www.ram-mount.co.uk/gps-handheld-garmin-c-360_169_659.html
(the part no's RAM-HOL-GA48U)

Bodging a RAM mount on the 'bent might be a better option for me, raised up another 8" the extra width of the mount makes no odds..

It is now  :thumbsup:

Frere

« Reply #14 on: 06 April, 2012, 08:23:30 pm »
Cheers- I'll have another look at that...

I did come up with one approach on the 'bent - I have it on a lanyard, but use it with the belt clip, and clip it to the lower end my jersey to stop it sliiping to one side. However. on one occasion I forgot to take it out of the neoprene sleeve first, and the velcro made a nice mess of the crotch of my Lusso longs :(

I think I've managed to get all the 'pulls' back in tho'..which reminds me, I need to swap the velcro for press studs..

Euan Uzami

« Reply #15 on: 06 April, 2012, 09:03:55 pm »
have they come up with a stem mount for it yet?

« Reply #16 on: 06 April, 2012, 09:17:06 pm »
Not sure, figuring what mount to go with the holder atm.

Frere

« Reply #17 on: 07 April, 2012, 08:32:02 pm »
My one for the new Etrex 30 fits on the stem.

« Reply #18 on: 07 April, 2012, 08:56:33 pm »
My one for the new Etrex 30 fits on the stem.

Got a specific item/model number per chance?

Frere

Euan Uzami

« Reply #19 on: 07 April, 2012, 09:58:58 pm »
or a picture of it?

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #20 on: 07 April, 2012, 10:30:32 pm »
The standard Garmin Oregon/Dakota/new eTrex bike mount (as linked in the first post in this thread) can be attached to the stem. You just have to put the zip ties round the other way.
Though it may not fit if you have a particularly short stem, or if the stem is square. And the mount may not be at the best angle to view the screen, there's no way of adjusting it.

« Reply #21 on: 25 April, 2012, 09:20:38 am »
Just ordered an Etrex 20 so wish me luck!

Has anyone used a RAM mount for theirs as in this thread?

The new mounnts have vertical rather than diagonal bolt holes so doesn't quite work in the same way. Any good tips / solutions?

Cheers

« Reply #22 on: 22 January, 2013, 10:00:20 am »
Any updated views on whether the Garmin or RAM mount is better?
The other Robw, not the wobbly one

« Reply #23 on: 22 January, 2013, 10:40:21 am »
The standard Garmin Oregon/Dakota/new eTrex bike mount (as linked in the first post in this thread) can be attached to the stem. You just have to put the zip ties round the other way.
Though it may not fit if you have a particularly short stem, or if the stem is square. And the mount may not be at the best angle to view the screen, there's no way of adjusting it.

On a square section stem with a flat top, roll up an old innertube to squash between mount and metalwork. This will also absorb a lot of vibration.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #24 on: 23 January, 2013, 04:35:22 pm »
The Garmin mount is very very good (though silly money for what it is).  I don't see how the RAM mount could possibly be better.