Author Topic: Bike mount for new Etrex 10/20/30  (Read 19786 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Bike mount for new Etrex 10/20/30
« Reply #25 on: 23 January, 2013, 05:02:03 pm »
The Garmin mount is very very good (though silly money for what it is).  I don't see how the RAM mount could possibly be better.

I can see that it might conceivably give some additional protection against being kicked when mounted on the boom of a recumbent, but I'm inclined to agree.  The new style Garmin mount holds the GPS extremely securely.

« Reply #26 on: 23 January, 2013, 08:51:15 pm »
Just ensure that you have fixed the GPS securely in the mount. I didn't but the GPS survived bouncing down the road with the batteries coming out!

« Reply #27 on: 24 January, 2013, 06:31:01 am »
Cool, cheers for the feedback folks. The Garmin mount is a lot slimmer and less bulky than the RAM one too, which I also like
The other Robw, not the wobbly one

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 24 January, 2013, 11:29:03 am »
Just ensure that you have fixed the GPS securely in the mount. I didn't but the GPS survived bouncing down the road with the batteries coming out!

I use a lanyard around the bars as backup.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #29 on: 24 January, 2013, 11:40:21 am »
I bought one of these from ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Bike-Handlebar-Locking-Strap-GPS-Mount-for-Garmin-eTrex-10-20-30-/121001237542?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1c2c3c5c26

Seems to be fairly strong although you need to use a bit of innertube to help mount it on the bars. I tend to keep the ball joint arrangement loosely tightened so that any knocks mean it moves rather than breaks. But its quite a bargain at £13 its a bargain compared to some of the other options. My etrex 20 fits into it with a tight and satisfying click.
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #30 on: 24 January, 2013, 06:43:14 pm »
It seems a bit of a faff, but I've used one of these:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/proline-space-adaptor-handlebar-mount-accessory-bracket-prod8461/
to hold both the bracket for the extrex and the Ixon (ie Smart-like) lamp bracket - I've put one on the mtb, and one on the 'bent. Seems even sillier on the 'bent cos that in turn's sitting on a mech-post mounted accessories (?) bar from ICE, but on the spare side of the bar will sit a modified Lumicycle lamp, with the Ixon as a backup.

FWIW, getting the Ixon/Smart bracket on is a real faff, I've since bought a screw-up, rather than cam-based lookalike from PBK but it only really lends itself to one orientation of the proline bracket. But at least there's enough room to get the etrex orientated correctly.

A mate seems to have trouble with the mount moving on his mtb bars with his Oregon, but it's heavier and he hasn't wrapped the handlebar with some inner tube, which I reckon gives the zip ties a bit more purchase.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Bike-Handlebar-Locking-Strap-GPS-Mount-for-Garmin-eTrex-10-20-30-/121001237542?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1c2c3c5c26

Hmm, that's just what I wanted this time last year !

« Reply #31 on: 24 January, 2013, 07:26:46 pm »
It seems a bit of a faff, but I've used one of these:
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/proline-space-adaptor-handlebar-mount-accessory-bracket-prod8461/
to hold both the bracket for the extrex and the Ixon (ie Smart-like) lamp bracket - I've put one on the mtb, and one on the 'bent. Seems even sillier on the 'bent cos that in turn's sitting on a mech-post mounted accessories (?) bar from ICE, but on the spare side of the bar will sit a modified Lumicycle lamp, with the Ixon as a backup.

FWIW, getting the Ixon/Smart bracket on is a real faff, I've since bought a screw-up, rather than cam-based lookalike from PBK but it only really lends itself to one orientation of the proline bracket. But at least there's enough room to get the etrex orientated correctly.

A mate seems to have trouble with the mount moving on his mtb bars with his Oregon, but it's heavier and he hasn't wrapped the handlebar with some inner tube, which I reckon gives the zip ties a bit more purchase.

Hmm, that's just what I wanted this time last year !

Useful stuff, thanks. Currently experimenting with a Topeak bar xtender - it's working ok, but I like the design of this. Might be worth a look.
The other Robw, not the wobbly one

« Reply #32 on: 26 January, 2013, 09:21:46 pm »
Alrighty, a few piccies of the mounts on the 'bent and the mtb:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46129097@N05/sets/72157632614881167/

Chris S

« Reply #33 on: 08 January, 2014, 10:34:12 am »
As mounted to the bars, the latch end of the mount plate is towards you, push the latch downwards and the GPS away from you. If you haven't got a lanyard on it, put somebody in the slips and gully, to catch it.

Speaking of which - how do you get a lanyard through that teeny weeny hole?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #34 on: 08 January, 2014, 10:39:09 am »
A darning needle is good for encouraging the thin loop on the lanyard round the hole in the bottom of the Etrex.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #35 on: 08 January, 2014, 11:12:39 am »
There's an appropriate needle in the sewing kit in the coffee table, dear. Don't forget to put your glasses on.

Chris S

« Reply #36 on: 08 January, 2014, 11:13:42 am »
There's an appropriate needle in the sewing kit in the coffee table, dear. Don't forget to put your glasses on.

:P

I used one of your toothpicks.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #37 on: 08 January, 2014, 06:44:39 pm »
"Darling, can I borrow your toothbrush?"

"Of course" (thinks: that's odd, he doesn't usually ask)

time passes ...

"Thanks for that - the bike runs so much better with a nice clean chain, don't you think?"
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #38 on: 30 January, 2015, 07:09:12 pm »
Resurrecting this thread a bit as it came up in search - I bought some cheap mounts off ebay but they are anything but a firm 'click' in, the unit comes out at the slightest nudge. Am I right in thinking that if I buy a proper Garmin branded mount that it might actually hold it steady as per some of the original posts from a few years ago? 
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #39 on: 30 January, 2015, 07:57:11 pm »
HK's proper ones do, at a silly price for lumps of plastic and zipties.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #40 on: 30 January, 2015, 08:02:06 pm »
Yeah, pricey but works. Especially once you learn the wiggle dismount.

« Reply #41 on: 30 January, 2015, 08:19:36 pm »
Yes it works, well but not perfectly. As already emphasised, use a lanyard. (My lanyard did its job this week.)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 30 January, 2015, 10:48:16 pm »
I've got three of the official mounts, and they all work perfectly.  The only problems I've had are with the one on the Brompton, where the eTrex sometimes gets bashed from below when releasing the stem mounted bottle cage (I think I need the other flavour of Monkii Cage), which is enough to overcome the clip.  That's where the lanyard comes in.

Agree that they're expensive for what they are, but they sufficiently better in use than the old style eTrex mounts that I don't grudge the cost.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #43 on: 31 January, 2015, 09:58:35 am »
Resurrecting this thread a bit as it came up in search - I bought some cheap mounts off ebay but they are anything but a firm 'click' in, the unit comes out at the slightest nudge.

The cheap mounts are all but indistinguishable by looking at them.  My Garmin one has TAIWAN moulded on the back where the cheap ones have nothing, other than that there is no visible difference between them, whichever way you look.  The best guide is the packing they come in.

The pukka Garmin mount has a vice-like grip - too grippy really, I find it very difficult to release the GPS without damaging my hands in the process.  My two cheap copies are worse then useless - the latch just doesn't engage properly - I wouldn't even give them away to my worst enemy.  But some people get on with them alright so there is a theory that it's a matter of sample variation.  But I think they just don't miss what they never had - ie a mount that does the job properly.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #44 on: 31 January, 2015, 03:02:28 pm »
Thanks all, will order proper - buy once, buy right eh?!
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #45 on: 31 January, 2015, 03:08:25 pm »
The cheap ones are more varied. I got three. One is fine on it's own, the other two are too loose, but a couple strips of duct-tape in the middle made them much better, to the extent that one is currently on my MTB and doesn't drop the Etrex.

The one Garmin branded one I bought fist fitted tightly straight from the box though.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #46 on: 31 January, 2015, 03:16:50 pm »
Thanks all, will order proper - buy once, buy right eh?!

Yes. Good call.

You can see upthread that i bought one about three years ago.

I now have three genuine Garmin mounts on three bikes.

All have been firm as a rock.

Now and again the zip-tying lets the thing turn a bit on the bars so that the Garmin needs to be turned a bit.

Buit this can be corrected every now and again (every few months maybe) with a bit of old tube to give the holder a grip and by tightening the zip ties.

But this doesn't mean the unit will come off the bike.

I have total confidence in mine.

Yes the mount is expensive for what it is but look on the bright side.

You save by:

Being able to use standard rechargeable batteries

The Etrex 20 is substantially cheaper than some other (including Garmin) units some folk seem to feel the need to buy

You can use free and excellent OSM maps - I recommend openfietsmap,.

« Reply #47 on: 31 January, 2015, 03:30:39 pm »
I have this mount http://www.ram-mount.co.uk/garmin-etrex-10-20-30-holder-p-1667-c-449.html
I've fixed to h/bar with a plastic 25mm conduit clip with a bit of rubber innertube wrapped round h/bar for grip - very stable & vibration free.

« Reply #48 on: 02 February, 2015, 12:40:06 pm »
Looks can be deceiving.
The Garmin OE mounts will be made from selected grade virgin plastic straight from DuPont, whilst the cheapo copies will be made from any-old recycled mixed up plastics shipped from car breakers yards in Birmingham.

Hing

• fabulous follies
« Reply #49 on: 19 July, 2015, 05:36:31 am »
Got one of Garmin's original from a German site at the barely acceptable single-digit price
Yet to try them but they feel secure with a assuring click. Perhaps the horror stories are about older batches/ knockoffs? Will still attach a lanyard at least at first just to be safe.
weird and wonderful, fabulous folly