Author Topic: Gavin and Stacey - Tomsks New 400 Perm  (Read 5431 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Gavin and Stacey - Tomsks New 400 Perm
« Reply #25 on: 09 April, 2019, 10:07:28 pm »
Well done that man!  Have we fully inducted you into the ACME fold?  By which I mean have we made you eat a pickled egg on a Wednesday evening?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #26 on: 09 April, 2019, 11:32:31 pm »
Well done Dean - it's a tough ride  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #27 on: 10 April, 2019, 03:01:52 pm »
Well done that man!  Have we fully inducted you into the ACME fold?  By which I mean have we made you eat a pickled egg on a Wednesday evening?

So far I have managed to avoid the induction ceremony ;D
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #28 on: 10 April, 2019, 03:30:04 pm »
Well done, Dean, and a great write up too. I'm impressed when people remember their ride in detail.

Interesting that you started early in the day. That's probably a good strategy for the ACME Ten Tonnes, but for Gavin and Stacey my preference would have been to start late in the day, get the night section out of the way whilst still fresh, then enjoy the Welsh scenery in the light. Actually, a 3pm start might work better if getting a train straight back, rather than stopping in the Barry Butlins (if it is still there).

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #29 on: 10 April, 2019, 03:55:51 pm »

So far I have managed to avoid the induction ceremony ;D

We’ll need to get this situation resolved at some point!

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #30 on: 10 April, 2019, 04:53:36 pm »
Well done, Dean, and a great write up too. I'm impressed when people remember their ride in detail.

Interesting that you started early in the day. That's probably a good strategy for the ACME Ten Tonnes, but for Gavin and Stacey my preference would have been to start late in the day, get the night section out of the way whilst still fresh, then enjoy the Welsh scenery in the light. Actually, a 3pm start might work better if getting a train straight back, rather than stopping in the Barry Butlins (if it is still there).

Well other than the controls I only remember the other place names as I took a photo and the geo-tag told me.

As for the early start, I wanted to be home on Sunday afternoon.  :)
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #31 on: 10 April, 2019, 09:35:02 pm »

I'd probably look for 3pm start too, with a premier inn/travelodge booking at 200km getting 5 hours in a bed and setting off at dawn feels like it will give a similar total time, with higher moving speeds and less suffering. 3pm start means 6pm finish, so setting off again at 6 gives 12 hours for the second 200 which seems feasible to me. The compensation for riding 400 as a solo perm is that intermediate control times are less rigid.

Pushing through the night solo is very impressive, chapeau Deano

Although I can't see myself ever doing a 400 perm, definitely my least favorite distance. I was very skeptical on hearing of someones plan to make PBP 3 400km sections. Even though it did allow checking into a hotel for 2 nights at 400/800km. 4 300km sections seems much better, but that means going all in on the 84 hour schedule

Eddington  127miles, 170km

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #32 on: 11 April, 2019, 09:57:19 am »
I started not long after 3 when I rode it (on a Tuesday) and found some of the climbs out of the Welsh towns were too busy, might be different on a weekend though.  Ponty was the worst for me plus there was no footpath to walk along.  I think I based my start time on breakfast at Tewkesbury 'spoons.

I thought I had done a proper write up on strava but see I just made a few lines and that's it!
https://www.strava.com/activities/1576264151
Regards,

Joergen

rob

« Reply #33 on: 11 April, 2019, 11:16:22 am »
On the 1000 I hit Barry in rush hour twice - Friday breakfast and evening.

I found the Welsh traffic a bit much.