Author Topic: You know you're middle aged when  (Read 186102 times)

Re: You know you're middle aged when
« Reply #175 on: 21 March, 2016, 06:25:15 pm »
....at room temperature, your testicles hang lower than the tip of your flaccid penis.

Thanks for making me feel like a teenager again fuzzy.   :thumbsup:

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #176 on: 21 March, 2016, 07:26:36 pm »
when you post on the "You know you're middle aged when thread " and immediately think you'd better check all 7 pages to make sure you haven't been repeating yourself....

Haven't you said that before? 

Actually, I'm the same.  I always worry about that.   So much so, that I've often not posted something 'just in case'
Imagine the wonderful, interesting stuff you've all been missing out on.  ;-)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #177 on: 21 March, 2016, 07:49:54 pm »
Don't worry Basil; you've simply forgotten that you've already posted it so we're not missing out.   :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #178 on: 30 March, 2016, 10:07:39 am »
Owing to crappy radio reception in the bedroom I have to tune to anything that makes a suitable level of noise to wake me in the morn (the buzzer is the sort of harsh sound that I imagine in any other circumstance would be used to herald the end of the world, not what I need at 8.30am, it's Wednesday, not God calling out the final judgements and we all know the Rapture will be on a Friday). This process of suitable radio signal acquisition is not improved by the fact that I live on the side of a steep valley and stations from the metropolis come and go and I'm really scared of Classic FM and Smooth. For every 10 seconds of classical music I have to scream for 20. As for Smooth, it's like narcolepsy. I could slip into coma and never wake up. Let's not even talk about about LBC.

But I made a bigger mistake. I found Radio 1. This, the internet informs me, is music for the younger generation. Sorry, 'music'. This is why I'm middle-aged, I'm now reduced to putting the word music in quotes. I did get through about 20 minutes this morning which solely consisted of terrible rap songs with singy choruses (come on, didn't that Eminem chap do that – better – when I was a lad) and unaccountably the dental drill screech of Whitney Houston, presuming echoing all the way from The Great Beyond. Or it could have simply been the collective screams of the tormented. How do you tell?

This means I've turned into my dad. Call this music? he'd say, and I'd run before he managed to manifest Celine Dion.

On the plus side, I'm still on that island of middling years were I don't have to listen to Adele, that warbling curse of the young and old, and generic shopping mall soporific.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #179 on: 30 March, 2016, 10:50:55 am »
Lt. Col. Larrington (retd.) and I have an agreement: I don't complain about him having Radio 3 on all day and he doesn't complain about anything I have playing in the motor-car.  Last year he was heard to comment favourably on both GY!BE and the tinklier bits of The Doors but I can't see him ever becoming a fan of The Stooges.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #180 on: 30 March, 2016, 10:58:37 am »
When people talk of "that Enema(??) chap" and you've heard the name but couldn't spell it, don't know what kind of stuff he sang (played), don't want to and would really rather listen to Chopin.

Played on the banjo.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #181 on: 30 March, 2016, 02:09:39 pm »
Owing to crappy radio reception in the bedroom I have to tune to anything that makes a suitable level of noise to wake me in the morn (the buzzer is the sort of harsh sound that I imagine in any other circumstance would be used to herald the end of the world, not what I need at 8.30am, it's Wednesday, not God calling out the final judgements and we all know the Rapture will be on a Friday). This process of suitable radio signal acquisition is not improved by the fact that I live on the side of a steep valley and stations from the metropolis come and go and I'm really scared of Classic FM and Smooth. For every 10 seconds of classical music I have to scream for 20. As for Smooth, it's like narcolepsy. I could slip into coma and never wake up. Let's not even talk about about LBC.

But I made a bigger mistake. I found Radio 1.

When I first moved to Canterbury, I illicitly spent a year living in my then partner's student room, on account of a general lack of alternatives.  Anyway, they had discovered a system for guaranteed wake-up that involved a loud clock-radio on the far side of the room, not quite tuned into Radio 1.  Nothing like the distorted tones of Craig David and Zoe Ball to get you out of bed in a hurry...   :hand:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #182 on: 30 March, 2016, 02:41:05 pm »
I detest Classic FM. It plays a lot of nice music with nice presenters and it's very nice. It's like being locked in a National Trust tea room and force-fed scones till you vomit into a pseudo-Victorian tea towel. Unfortunately Mrs Cudzo likes it, though she does at least understand my objections. I do like Radio 3, though I don't like everything it plays. It has nice stuff and challenging stuff. I've never heard of Smooth and that's probably for the best. Radio 2 seems to have the exact same music and the same DJs that Radio 1 had when I was 15. My alarm clock is just a beep-beep-beep on my phone. That's what phones are for, surely?

Back on topic, I reckon that's grumpy enough to be middle aged, don't you?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #183 on: 30 March, 2016, 03:50:20 pm »
Classical music just ain't my thing. I'm not great at getting up in a morning, I like to rise slowly from the murky somnolent depths. Too quickly and I might get the mental equivalent of the bends. That requires the radio turned low and music that's mostly inoffensive. If it's something like classical, I just turn it off before ever actually surfacing. That's not a bad thing, because thought leadership is more contingent on tidy hair than being up before 10am. But still, sometimes I have important stuff to do. Feeding the cats. That sort of thing.

To be honest, all radio seems to suck. I try to get the thing that was XFM but it comes and goes from the bedroom. You can't listen to it for long because the playlist seems to consist of about six songs. I may just give up and use my iPhone like my wife.

I needed extra sleep last night because of poltergeists. Scared the Barney Fucking Pyjamas out of me. Huge thump in the night. My wife, bless her, had been tidying at the weekend. Stacked a metric fucktonne of cookery books on the shelf behind the fridge. A shelf screwed into sixty year old plaster. Took me till this lunchtime to discover the actual source of the noise, when I noticed Delia Smith looking mournfully up from beside the recycling bin.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #184 on: 30 March, 2016, 04:13:38 pm »
give me a klaxon or two any day, or everyday if you want me to get up.  Morning radio would just blend into general sleepiness.  Give me ALARM and I'm up and at 'em
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #185 on: 30 March, 2016, 06:34:21 pm »
give me a klaxon or two any day, or everyday if you want me to get up.  Morning radio would just blend into general sleepiness.  Give me ALARM and I'm up and at 'em

The vibrating bastard that wakes barakta has the advantage that it takes you from REM sleep to up and ready to fight off the zombie hoards in a fraction of a second.  Which is admittedly useful when you're expecting a parcel.  Personally, I've found that a gentle preamble in anticipation of horrid noises to come is enough to wake me up with a bit of practice, and on the odd occasion that I want to get up before her, I'll just use a normal beep-beep-beep on my phone.

Of course, you know you're middle-aged when you don't need an alarm to wake up before 10am.  That's even more unnatural than feeling tired at midnight.  Maybe I'll get used to it eventually, but feel free to shoot me if I ever turn into one of those sanctimonious morning people.   :hand:

« Reply #186 on: 30 March, 2016, 06:44:02 pm »
Of course, you know you're middle-aged when you don't need an alarm to wake up before 10am.  That's even more unnatural than feeling tired at midnight.  Maybe I'll get used to it eventually, but feel free to shoot me if I ever turn into one of those sanctimonious morning people.   :hand:
Be careful. It may happen. Suddenly occurred to me a few years ago that I was much better at 'doing stuff' before lunch than I felt I ought to be.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

ian

« Reply #187 on: 30 March, 2016, 06:53:34 pm »
Phew, I still have a hard time getting up before 10am (and can easily do noon). To be honest, there's not much point getting up before noon, I need a riot-control strength shower and IV coffee just to keep upright. I'm at most productive at precisely 2.37 am. I often wake people to tell them this.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #188 on: 30 March, 2016, 07:12:35 pm »
If being on the receiving end of Thought Leadership involves being woken up at audax o'clock by some tidy-haired gin addict then I for one am glad to be an unemployed layabout ;D

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #189 on: 30 March, 2016, 07:31:52 pm »
I've never been good at the sleep thing. I'm still trying to work out whether being middle aged is making the situation better or worse.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #190 on: 30 March, 2016, 07:33:59 pm »
...someone posts a quote on a cycling forum describing Class 47 locomotives as being "heritage locomotives".  A class which you regard as being, if not cutting edge, moderately up to date.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Oscar's dad

« Reply #191 on: 30 March, 2016, 07:41:14 pm »
Was a Class 47 loco also known as a Brush 4?

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #192 on: 30 March, 2016, 07:48:23 pm »
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Oscar's dad

« Reply #193 on: 30 March, 2016, 07:58:46 pm »
Well there we have it folks. Proof if proof were needed that I'm both middle aged and a saddo. I struggle to remember important stuff that happened yesterday but can still remember useless facts from my days as a school boy trainspotter.

Bothered?  Not in the least  ;D

« Reply #194 on: 30 March, 2016, 08:39:17 pm »
..it's too late.
Move Faster and Bake Things

ian

« Reply #195 on: 30 March, 2016, 08:47:30 pm »
Brain trauma is a good excuse for forgetting stuff. No one can argue. I was supposed to be where? When? Oh, did I mention my head. Look, scars. Yep, brain came right out. Doctors had to massage it like wagyu before putting it back in.

I genuinely can't remember four digit numbers, which is a ludicrously specific impediment.

There's probably other stuff but I can't remember forgetting it.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #196 on: 30 March, 2016, 08:52:31 pm »

The vibrating bastard that wakes barakta has the advantage that it takes you from REM sleep to up and ready to fight off the zombie hoards in a fraction of a second.  Which is admittedly useful when you're expecting a parcel.  Personally, I've found that a gentle preamble in anticipation of horrid noises to come is enough to wake me up with a bit of practice, and on the odd occasion that I want to get up before her, I'll just use a normal beep-beep-beep on my phone.

;D ;D ;D

7am is late for me.  These days I tend to find myself anticipating the 6AM alarm by about ten minutes.

I'm also one of those annoying people that can regularly go to bed at midnight and then get up at 5am the next day
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #197 on: 30 March, 2016, 11:21:49 pm »
Reminiscence.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #198 on: 30 March, 2016, 11:52:33 pm »

To be honest, all radio seems to suck. I try to get the thing that was XFM but it comes and goes from the bedroom. You can't listen to it for long because the playlist seems to consist of about six songs. I may just give up and use my iPhone like my wife.

Two things: Radio X - Chris Moyles. Just say no.
You have an iPhone like your wife, and by corollary, a wife like your iPhone? Blimey.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #199 on: 31 March, 2016, 02:40:44 am »
I genuinely can't remember four digit numbers, which is a ludicrously specific impediment.

Tell me your debit card's PIN and I'll remember it for you.