Author Topic: The health and fitness thread about random things  (Read 469707 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The health and fitness thread about random things
« Reply #2850 on: 25 August, 2019, 01:53:42 pm »
Nicotine suppositories might be an effective way of delivering the drug (or might not, I don't know) and clearly harmless (for lungs at least) but probably a challenge for the marketing department.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #2851 on: 25 August, 2019, 03:35:28 pm »
Nicotine suppositories might be an effective way of delivering the drug (or might not, I don't know) and clearly harmless (for lungs at least) but probably a challenge for the marketing department.
I often pondered the most acceptable way to tell people what to do with their 'nicotine sticks'.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2852 on: 26 August, 2019, 08:12:08 am »
Whole new meaning to bumming a cigarette.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #2853 on: 26 August, 2019, 09:23:04 am »

Meet them half way, how about bum vaping? Your friends and family will be overjoyed with your strawberry rubbers scented farts.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2854 on: 27 August, 2019, 11:59:22 am »
Well that was a surprisingly helpful pain management clinic appointment, sensible Plan A and B via GP who they're writing to, and a possible C. No woo in sight. It probably helps it's an ortho hospital where pain management are used to dealing with dodgy bones/joints which the surgeons and physios have done their best on.  Also helpful they understand "syndrome" so the idea of multiple medical nonsenses going on at once.

« Reply #2855 on: 27 August, 2019, 10:10:23 pm »
 :thumbsup: that's good news.

On the less positive side i have over worked my hip at a festival over the weekend. The combination of camping, walking to all the events and lugging the tent and kit in from the carpark field has been a bit much. Today at the Winchester science centre with the nephew was sore.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #2856 on: 28 August, 2019, 11:50:51 am »
Sorry to hear about your hip Matthew, hope you can get some rest and painkillers.  Sadly my hip treatment is "currently lost in hospital admin" and I'm chasing it politely one more time before I send a "formal complaint" as the unnecessary delay is now at 4 months...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2857 on: 28 August, 2019, 03:40:19 pm »
Waiting on tenterhooks here for the result of my pro-BNP test, to see if further cardiac unpleasantness is in the offing. Wasn't in the post today, should be tomorrow, unless the GP forgot to put "cc patient" on the prescription.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if I am due for another go on the table: the beta-blocker-triggered depression that started in June has hit me very hard: +3 kg in 2 months and I feel 10 years older.

« Reply #2858 on: 30 August, 2019, 06:22:54 pm »
Been reading about Vaping Lung for a few months now

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/23/health/vaping-lung-disease-death-illinois-bn/index.html

These numbers are an increase from the 153 potential cases in 16 states that the agency reported Wednesday. At the time, there were no known deaths reported, the agency said.

I suspect this cluster is related to people vaping something other than normal nicotine-containing e-juice.

This. From the news reports I have seen, it's suggested that it might be linked to vaping cannabis or other drugs.

https://gizmodo.com/black-market-thc-may-be-causing-the-alarming-surge-in-v-1837740898

Wrong solvent would be my guess.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2859 on: 04 September, 2019, 08:30:03 am »
Somewhat horrified this morning: I had my first encounter with a diabetic ulcer, fortunately not mine.

Son's missus was diagnosed with diabetes in July, after going to the GP with a cut on her calf that hasn't healed since she got it in February.  It has a 2" square dressing on it now, and the skin around it is flaming red with trails radiating up and down her leg. It hasn't gone too far yet, but it looks to me as if it'll reach amputation country if she doesn't get it in hand before long.

She needs someone to give her a good course in diabetic health. For breakfast this morning she had a big bowl of drinking chocolate @ 48% sugar, with baguette (high glycaemic index) and butter.  Son is also diabetic now: his breakfast was a bowl of chicory with three slices of bread slathered in butter and MrsT's jam.  Everything else they eat is in the same style.  Both of them are obese, and while son does aikido she never moves to speak of.

And there I thought I was living dangerously with patisserie on 80k rides.

« Reply #2860 on: 04 September, 2019, 09:01:19 am »
That is terrifying.

I used to think that I knew about food and diet. Using cronometer has been an eye-opener for me. Days when I don't cycle to work or paddle, my 'normal' food intake is well over what is required. If I ate like that and didn't exercise, I'd be pretty big. (Like my brother I guess, struggling to stay under 110kg instead of hovering around 73kg.)

Days when I cycle and paddle, I don't eat enough. Not enough protein, carbs, very low on vitamins. Malnourished. Before I saw the doc, I was worried I was diabetic.

People, the general populous, don't exercise enough.

Looking at the readouts has even changed how MrsC is eating - she feels more comfortable (justified) in eating 1/3 the amount I do when we eat together.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2861 on: 04 September, 2019, 09:31:00 am »
I used to track meals on charts the cardiac unit provided, but it turned mealtimes into a chore and in any case after a few weeks I could pretty well gauge intake vs expenditure.

I was always amazed, though, at the calorie expenditure involved in committee meetings in Strasbourg. Even though I drove there and we did nothing but sitting around a table jawing, I would get home ravenous and, no matter what I then ate, wake up with a roaring headache next day. Doc could never explain it, but I reckon it was some kind of metabolic hangover.

« Reply #2862 on: 04 September, 2019, 09:36:05 am »
Crikey. Makes my post feel like a rather smaller win...
I pulled my back 10 days ago. Today, for the first time since, i was able to ride to the station. I could feel it, but not as pain.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2863 on: 04 September, 2019, 02:25:13 pm »
Good luck with the back - don't test it too much.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2864 on: 04 September, 2019, 04:33:43 pm »
Sigh.

It feels like I've got a case of Epididymitis starting on my left nut :-( I wonder if it is related to my having a catheter for a couple of days when I was in hospital back in mid July? Whatever it is, it certainly feels like I've been kicked in the nut  :sick: Luckily day off tomorrow, so I'll queue up outside my GP for it opening at 8am, and hopefully get an appointment (I'm needing a repeat prescription of anti depressants as well...)
 :facepalm:

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2865 on: 05 September, 2019, 09:43:38 am »
Sigh.

It feels like I've got a case of Epididymitis starting on my left nut :-( I wonder if it is related to my having a catheter for a couple of days when I was in hospital back in mid July? Whatever it is, it certainly feels like I've been kicked in the nut  :sick: Luckily day off tomorrow, so I'll queue up outside my GP for it opening at 8am, and hopefully get an appointment (I'm needing a repeat prescription of anti depressants as well...)
 :facepalm:

Appointment obtained, saw GP, diagnosed with epididymitis, so a weeks course of antibiotics! Perhaps more supportive undergarments might be an idea. Anti depressants now on repeat prescription.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2866 on: 06 September, 2019, 10:34:16 am »
Good luck with the back - don't test it too much.

And after giving that advice my old sacroiliac trouble is moaning and occasionally stabbing. Even using the clutch in the car gets a cheery wee "cuckoo!".  After the original injury I was off the bike for a month and another two months of swearful comments in my log before it settled down.

Aye well, sitting around doing SFA for a week or two will help my duff ankle.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2867 on: 11 September, 2019, 10:39:59 pm »
Trump wants to ban flavoured vaping. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trump-vaping-deaths-ecigarettes-ban-flavors-a9101841.html I'm sure he's correct in saying the flavours a big part of the appeal to kids, but are they actually the harmful part? There's so much in vape, erm, vapour that it doesn't seem anybody knows.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #2868 on: 11 September, 2019, 10:58:24 pm »
Just wait until he hears about cigarettes. He's going to be livid.
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2869 on: 11 September, 2019, 11:29:10 pm »
This is getting a tad POBI but IMHO:
Vaping is Big Tobacco's foot in the door for the next generation of consumers.
Until now it was seen as less harmful than cigarettes and a good way to wean established smokers off cigarettes so was not discouraged.

Now we Have Deaths POTUS Must be seen to Do Something.

Tobacco in any form is harmful and its sale is only allowed to continue because Big Tobacco has commercial and political Influence.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2870 on: 11 September, 2019, 11:52:07 pm »
AIUI vapes don't contain tobacco. Presumably the nicotine in them is extracted from tobacco but could also be from other sources. In a way this is more disturbing...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2871 on: 11 September, 2019, 11:53:21 pm »
I reckon a vaper (vapour?) is more likely to take up smoking than a non-vaper, thobut, even if there's no nicotine involved.

Presumably USAnian vaping restrictions could be easily circumvented by molishing the appropriate gubbins into a handgun...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2872 on: 11 September, 2019, 11:54:55 pm »
Nicotine is addictive. Its actual origin is academic.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2873 on: 11 September, 2019, 11:55:48 pm »
Nicotine is addictive.

...but in itself Mostly Harmless.  The problem comes from the common delivery method.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #2874 on: 11 September, 2019, 11:57:25 pm »
I reckon a vaper (vapour?) is more likely to take up smoking than a non-vaper, thobut.
Perhaps/probably. Essentially the same thing from the commercial point of view (ie. a nicotine consumer, along with the other "novel forms" such as heated tobacco) but obviously different health implications.

Presumably USAnian vaping restrictions could be easily circumvented by molishing the appropriate gubbins into a handgun...
dont.give.them.ideas