Author Topic: Random 1000s in 2013  (Read 16745 times)

Re: Random 1000s in 2013
« Reply #50 on: 06 January, 2013, 09:57:39 pm »
Sounds like a good option Graham, I'll look into it some more and pm you.

« Reply #51 on: 06 January, 2013, 10:33:17 pm »
Liking the look of 1000 du Sud....LEL dates couldn't work for me, so quite interested in doing this instead....would need to get some more training done on hill climbing though...
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

« Reply #52 on: 06 January, 2013, 11:12:23 pm »
Having failed to get entry to LEL, I too am looking for a replacement and overseas is always most attractive.

Akin, well done on the ride, esp after Mille Alba.  What did you do re ride schedule/accommodation/travel?

grahamG, happy to share the berlingo and fuel costs etc if you want, I just need to avoid early aug2-14.

Those are roughly the dates I have to avoid (3-16 for me I think). This is sounding like an ideal alternative for us in the SW - drive down to Plymouth for ferry to St Malo, and then it's only another 4 hours drive to the start town.... and there's a lovely bit of seaside not far away for a day or two's post-ride recovery ;)

I am also interested in this as an option so keep me updated if your plans develop anymore.

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
« Reply #53 on: 07 January, 2013, 09:59:52 am »
Having failed to get entry to LEL, I too am looking for a replacement and overseas is always most attractive.

Akin, well done on the ride, esp after Mille Alba.  What did you do re ride schedule/accommodation/travel?

grahamG, happy to share the berlingo and fuel costs etc if you want, I just need to avoid early aug2-14.

Those are roughly the dates I have to avoid (3-16 for me I think). This is sounding like an ideal alternative for us in the SW - drive down to Plymouth for ferry to St Malo, and then it's only another 4 hours drive to the start town.... and there's a lovely bit of seaside not far away for a day or two's post-ride recovery ;)

I am also interested in this as an option so keep me updated if your plans develop anymore.

Steady on, if there's any more of the Filthy posse throws their name in, we might have a put a request in for the bus ;)
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

Euan Uzami

« Reply #54 on: 07 January, 2013, 11:19:40 am »
quite liking the look of this menigoute as well actually  :thumbsup: looks fairly civilized. nice to see I might not be the only english person!

GrahamG

« Reply #55 on: 07 January, 2013, 11:23:30 am »
I'd even suggest it was relatively 'easy' compared to some of the other options. Total climb in the region of 9000m max and the max gradient according to ride with gps is 11.6%.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #56 on: 07 January, 2013, 11:34:19 am »
I'm still sceptical of these figures:

10,000m is only 1000/100km. and therefore relatively OK, no?
Depends how they count them. The tendency over here is to use GPS tracks to count every ripple in the tarmac.
Over There, where they have proper long hills, 'climbing' is often just the height of all the 'main' ascents added together.

The ridiculous 1200 that Salvatore DNFed this year had a 'reasonable' official climbing figure.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #57 on: 21 January, 2013, 07:13:18 am »
There's a 1000km ride just shown up in my FB feed over in the Netherlands.
Zoetermeer - Paris - Zoetermeer http://www.mrpbp.nl/pagina58.html
Easy to get to from the port and as it's at the start of July it could be an option if you didn't get into LEL or if you did it could be a good training ride  ;D

Rich

Euan Uzami

« Reply #58 on: 21 January, 2013, 09:39:52 am »
On 1000s overseas, do they count as calendars or perms for AUK points?
and how do you log them on AUK, do you have to register them before the ride?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #59 on: 21 January, 2013, 09:52:15 am »
Overseas BRMs are calendar events and AUK points must be claimed by the rider, generally by supplying a scan of the brevet card or link to an official list of finishers.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #60 on: 21 January, 2013, 11:01:27 am »
I'm getting more and more interested in the German 1000km ride from Berlin. I just have to a) persuade Mr Smith and b) get the funds. Nothing minor then!

Details here:
http://hansebrevet.wordpress.com/
and this is what Ralf said in response to my query
Quote from: Ralf
The ride is unsupported, so no accomodation is organized by me. Starting
in Berlin, the ride  mostly follows the coast of the baltic sea from the
polish border (island of Usedom) to the former german-german Border
at the city of Lübeck, from where the riders had back to Berlin.
Accomodation at the start and finish is no problem, because the ride
starts at the Amstelhouse, which is a hostel (linked from my website). I
don't arrange any accomodation for the participants, thats their
responisability. Accomodation during the ride shouldn't be difficult,
because there are a lot of hotels en route (the whole coastal area is
quite touristy).
The area the ride covers is quite beautiful, I will put some fotos on
the website these days. You go through some nice towns that were part
of the Hanse (medieval trade organisation led by Lübeck) which a lot
of beautiful brick buildings. Some roads are cobblestone (but not many)
so don't choose the slimest tires.
A GPS track is prowided, If you need a translated roadsheet, I would
provide one if you sign in on time.
As you can see, his English is very good and he's very helpful.
If I could persuade anyone else to come along we would maybe be able to share transport costs? Mr Smith doesn't do ferries so it'd be a long drive from the Chunnel. Space for 2 solos and their riders on/in the Volvo.

« Reply #61 on: 21 January, 2013, 11:13:00 am »
Now that looks like a really good one. It's lovely round there. I could be very interested in that :)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #62 on: 21 January, 2013, 11:17:45 am »
HK and I have this on our tentative list. It is a bit too far away for us to book leave yet.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

GrahamG

« Reply #63 on: 21 January, 2013, 11:46:34 am »
Henry and I are definitely doing the Menigoute SW France 1000km - room for one more in the car (probably more applicable to SW riders as we'll be ferrying from either Plymouth or Portsmouth).

« Reply #64 on: 21 January, 2013, 12:52:44 pm »
Overseas BRMs are calendar events and AUK points must be claimed by the rider, generally by supplying a scan of the brevet card or link to an official list of finishers.

An official ACP homologation number will also be enough. There can be problems however for later rides when results come in after the AGM. In fact, this is only a concern for the top point chasers and those in the top 6-7 of the top 3 clubs.

Angstbremser

• Zwei Minuten einwirken lassen
  • not the nature of Audax
« Reply #65 on: 22 January, 2013, 06:42:56 pm »
Hello,

as for 1000k rides, I've got another one here:

http://www.openrunner.com/index.php?id=2044524

It runs from west of Milan down to Liguria, then on to Piemont, over to the north Italian lakes, even for a bit through the Italian part of Switzerland and back to Milan. It is supposed to take place from May 23 to May26.

Beats the hell out of northeast Germany IMHO, but there seems to be next to no information available at this moment.

Ciao, Gernot

GrahamG

« Reply #66 on: 25 March, 2013, 09:43:01 pm »
Hello,

as for 1000k rides, I've got another one here:

http://www.openrunner.com/index.php?id=2044524

It runs from west of Milan down to Liguria, then on to Piemont, over to the north Italian lakes, even for a bit through the Italian part of Switzerland and back to Milan. It is supposed to take place from May 23 to May26.

Beats the hell out of northeast Germany IMHO, but there seems to be next to no information available at this moment.

Ciao, Gernot

I've done some of that route on tour - I found the drivers to be arseholes around that part of Italy/Switaly but otherwise a nice and varied route.

Reviving this thread, I'm rather undecided still as Henry is unable to make the menigoute ride so leaving my options open to include considering being part of the 1000 du sud contingent or going for the Spanish one in June just for a change of scenery and a lingual challenge!