Author Topic: Foot pain when I pedal  (Read 1413 times)

Foot pain when I pedal
« on: 03 June, 2014, 06:58:07 pm »
A bit stumped at why I am having this pain when I pedal on my arches. The soles of my cycling shoes are fairly rigid and substantial  (probably too rigid) yet some how the pedals still dig into my feet. This has only just started happening.. I dont know where or how it started to come about. Is it because my cycling shoes dont give me enough arch support when I press down on the pedals and the pressure is now starting to get to my arches and do damage? What do you think do I need some arch supports insoles will they do anything? Any advise would be super thank you guys!

Re: Foot pain when I pedal
« Reply #1 on: 03 June, 2014, 07:11:17 pm »
SPD cleat plates digging in? or Hot foot?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 03 June, 2014, 07:51:05 pm »
A bit stumped at why I am having this pain when I pedal on my arches. The soles of my cycling shoes are fairly rigid and substantial  (probably too rigid) yet some how the pedals still dig into my feet.

Are you saying that you place the arch of your foot on the pedals?
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3 on: 03 June, 2014, 07:58:02 pm »
I had problems like this until I found the right fitting cycling shoes (wide fit), AND the correct footbeds for me.
I would recommend either trying Superfeet footbeds, or maybe the Specialized ones - but make sure that you get the right one for you. Ideally go to Adrian Timmis or someone like him who moulds footbeds for you (and will set the cleats in the right place as part of a bike fit).

Getting it right made cycling a whole lot better and far more comfortable for me.

« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2014, 12:42:31 pm »
I think we need more info:

Types of pedals
Type of shoes
Where on the pedal do you position your foot?
Exactly where does it hurt?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2014, 01:22:04 pm »
the pain is located in my arch the pedal seems to be digging into it. The pedals are flat.. im a newb to cycling so dont know how to name different types of pedals. sorry. the pain also is on my shins I think it could be shin splints. I wear just some old trainers when I cycle (should really buy some more ones) they are flat inside so not doing much though they do have a thick sole. Oh and I use mostly my toes to pedal as if I put the pedal in between my arch of the foot that when it hurts most. One of my friends has told me I should try some arch supports and recommended http://inthenameofsport.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=54, what do you guy say about them? are they too cheap and only custom soles work or what?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2014, 01:53:15 pm »
The pedal should be under the ball of the foot, never the arch; partly because if the pedal's under the arch your toe can catch the front wheel, but mostly because you have greater efficiency and control when it's under the ball.

Purpose-made cycling shoes have extremely rigid soles to provide support, and provision for fitting cleats that mate to quick-release pedals. You may not feel like going that way just yet - the first outing in cleats can be a bit scary. You can go halfway, though, by fitting a set of strapless toe-clips like these to your flat pedals. These will keep your foot in the right place and allow you to lift the pedal with your foot as well as just pressing it down. At the same time, it will remain easy to take your foot off the pedal.

With flat pedals and clips you should be OK pedalling in trainers, but if you want to get into serious road- or mountain-biking then proper shoes and cleats will give you greater efficiency and more comfort.

Hope this helps.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2014, 07:12:21 pm »
Try lower gears (less pressure on your foot).  Most people new to cycling ride in far too low a gear.

Trainers won't give you the support you need if you are putting much effort into your cycling. The soles simply aren't stiff enough. You can get away with soft shoes like trainers but only if you ride in really low gear.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2014, 07:42:31 pm »
If you want to stick with flat pedals for longer rides (I know a few folk who do), swap your pedals for something with large platforms. Google for "grip king" for one version.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #9 on: 04 June, 2014, 11:32:05 pm »
Try lower gears (less pressure on your foot).  Most people new to cycling ride in far too low a gear.

ITYM high

« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2014, 07:29:58 am »

ITYM high
Whoops yes, I did mean 'high'.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2014, 08:11:41 am »
Most important of all is not to pedal with the arch of your foot. Think about walking: when you walk, you push with the ball of the foot. It evolved to transmit force from the leg muscles to the ground. The arch evolved to transmit the same force to the ball.  The arch isn't a bearing surface: putting pressure on it will hurt and can eventually damage it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight