Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1753135 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #5000 on: 29 April, 2014, 07:43:04 am »
Just thought ...

Tomsk, which way will you go? Perhaps we can meet en route.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5001 on: 29 April, 2014, 10:05:38 am »
My possible laney route to Billericay is either: Easters, Willingale, Blackmore, Fryerning, Ingatestone & Buttsbury....OR: Easters, Roxwell, Highwood, Mill Green [Viper?], Fryerning, Ingatestone & Buttsbury. OR then again via Writtle and Margaretting Tye.....

I may well go a more main-roady way back, through Stock, Galleywood and Chelmo.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5002 on: 29 April, 2014, 10:39:43 am »
 ;D

It would be helpful if you could pick one of your 3 options.  Otherwise I will be playing route roulette!

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #5003 on: 29 April, 2014, 11:40:45 am »
;D

It would be helpful if you could pick one of your 3 options.  Otherwise I will be playing route roulette!
I hope you're not advocating forward planning  :hand:

:D
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5004 on: 29 April, 2014, 11:43:21 am »
;D

I am  :thumbsup:  Now that the Oaky is an ocean away we can forward plan with gay abandon  :D   :smug:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5005 on: 29 April, 2014, 11:47:24 am »
I have had a text from OD and a PM from DTB about this jaunt. I think I'm game - although I will be relying on a train home on the grounds that I'm getting up at silly o'clock on Thurs and driving to Maidstone.

Edit: for a small fee I could be persuaded to take the assembled co. to my birthplace, which is but a gnat's crotchet from the High Street of Billericay. Del's already seen it so he's excused.  :P
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5006 on: 29 April, 2014, 11:50:21 am »
 :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5007 on: 29 April, 2014, 12:07:44 pm »
The Coach & Horses is an old Grays pub. Their last issue of beer form the old Chelmsford brewery was in December 1972. I partook, although on that occasion an 18-year-old Bagger home from his first term at college got very pissed with old school chums in Chelmsford. I have been to the C & H - once, I think, and certainly oer 40 years ago.

I didn't recognise the Blue Boar. I see it's a Wetherspoon's as it's new  - for a given value of new. I see on their website that it opened on 3rd May 2000. I wondered if it was in the old Woolworth's site (closed Jan 2000) but it's not. That's where the Iceland shop is, a bit further up the high street.

« Reply #5008 on: 29 April, 2014, 01:05:44 pm »
I am  :thumbsup:  Now that the Oaky is an ocean away we can forward plan with gay abandon  :D   :smug:
You dumped Regulator years ago!  ;) Is Oaky on holibobs? Bet that was planned with lots of forwardness!
As you've seen Wow is a possible.  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5009 on: 29 April, 2014, 01:12:16 pm »
Our Oaky is in Pittsburgh showing the Colonials how to migrate datacentres or some such.  I don't think we'll be seeing for a while - alas.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5010 on: 29 April, 2014, 01:36:33 pm »
Don't they have any CAMRA pubs over there?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5011 on: 29 April, 2014, 01:41:17 pm »
Don't they have any CAMRA pubs over there?

I don't think they do. The Colonial beer scene is on the up. They have lots of craft breweries. But it's all kegged or bottled, when we were over there last summer I found nothing cask or bottle conditioned. And it's all served cold  ::-)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5012 on: 29 April, 2014, 01:48:51 pm »
Of course, it might be possible to set up a franchise called CAMERA: Colonial Arm(s) of the Mid-Essex Riding Association.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #5013 on: 29 April, 2014, 02:27:40 pm »
;D

You have my blessing to plan away and be as gay as you like in your abandon!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #5014 on: 29 April, 2014, 03:18:19 pm »
Our Oaky is in Pittsburgh showing the Colonials how to migrate datacentres or some such.  I don't think we'll be seeing for a while - alas.
Pennsylvania, can we have a "Guess How Much Mass Oaky Has Gained" prior to his return?  ;D

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #5015 on: 29 April, 2014, 03:47:07 pm »
;D

Ok, how about a rendezvous at the Viper for 20:30? ETA Billericay: 21:15??

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5016 on: 30 April, 2014, 07:23:24 am »
OK folks, if there are any Witham riders out there thinking of joining the ride this evening I have prepared a route.  I will be leaving the Spa Road roundabout at 1900hrs and meeting Tomsk at The Viper, Mill Green at 2030hrs as mentioned above.  I anticipate it will be Thursday before we get back.

« Reply #5017 on: 30 April, 2014, 12:52:07 pm »
Working  :'(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5018 on: 30 April, 2014, 11:35:34 pm »
A splendid evening's bonhomie. Many thanks to Del for his patient company on the way out and equal thanks to Oscar's Dad for his generous contribution to the exchequer. Many thanks to Tomsk for all the good deeds he has done that have passed without recognition. There was no one else to thank so I will stop now other than to say that I am on the train.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5019 on: 01 May, 2014, 11:46:39 am »
Last night, which was a very good night, we learnt that Wow is a big fan on the daytime telly quiz show "Pointless". Make of that what you will.

« Reply #5020 on: 01 May, 2014, 12:37:01 pm »
It was a fun night, except that Adnams Explorer which kept repeating on me on the ride home. I have the coffee table sized book and with that and one of the maps I can stop my coffee table from wobbling. I Left with Tomsk and OD and a couple of miles later shouted to Tomsk that this was my turn, he must have heard because he hasn't written a "what happened to you guys?" post. Shortly after OD left I came across several rabbits, one of which tried to run away in the direction I was going and kept crossing and recrossing the road in front of me. On Warren Road, which is quite near Brock Hill, I came across four badgers milling around the centre of the single lane road. They watched my light and then cleared off into the nearby woods, making a hell of a racket on their way through the undergrowth. I didn't run into any of them!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5021 on: 01 May, 2014, 01:02:05 pm »
Last night, which was a very good night, we learnt that Wow is a big fan on the daytime telly quiz show "Pointless". Make of that what you will.
I don't call 5.15 "daytime telly". It is slap bang in the middle of Children's Hour.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5022 on: 01 May, 2014, 01:08:07 pm »
In my book evening telly starts at 6pm  :P

Del's report reminds me that I had a badger encounter. One ran alongside me for a few yards at about 15mph. Fortunately it dived into the undergrowth rather than crossing my path or trying to bite my wheel as happened to Huggy recently on TMNH.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5023 on: 01 May, 2014, 01:17:54 pm »
Was the badger in possession of a baton that it was trying to hand you?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #5024 on: 01 May, 2014, 01:56:06 pm »
Was the badger in possession of a baton that it was trying to hand you?

Ohhh, it was a baton!  I thought Mr Badger was just pleased to see me!

By the way, I still want to see you on "Pointless"  I know you said you know nothing about popular culture so wouldn't do well but surely there is a fellow yacfer that could partner you in infill your knowledge gaps.

Hands up who wants to go on "Pointless" with Wow?