Author Topic: I am unreasonably pleased to have received this!  (Read 2912 times)

Beardy

• Shedist
I am unreasonably pleased to have received this!
« on: 15 August, 2018, 09:33:33 am »
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Re: I am unreasonably pleased to have received this!
« Reply #1 on: 15 August, 2018, 09:39:50 am »
Congrats.  :thumbsup:   I hope their was a pre-paid Visa card attached.    Does 40 get you a free meal at the Tower ?   
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2018, 09:43:18 am »
Congrats.  :thumbsup:   I hope their was a pre-paid Visa card attached.    Does 40 get you a free meal at the Tower ?
Thank you.

The visa card is there, but i'm grappling with the system to 'manage my card'. I'm also going to have to be pretty smart in spending it, because they expire 1 month after you leave apparently.

And no one has said anything about a meal at the Tower either :(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2018, 09:44:32 am »
Copy and paste the BBCode from Flickr after clicking on the "share" arrow.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2018, 10:13:13 am »
I just dumped any Rewards stuff onto my Amazon account & leave it there.   Spend it later.

Good food & views at the Tower, but small portions,  we had to go & get something else afterwards.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #5 on: 15 August, 2018, 10:16:10 am »
Can you have a word in the ear of your Chief Execrable Officer, and get him to sort out the numbskulls at Openreach who inadvertently disconnected our broadband 5 weeks ago and haven't worked out how to reconnect it?

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #6 on: 15 August, 2018, 10:27:22 am »
Can you have a word in the ear of your Chief Execrable Officer, and get him to sort out the numbskulls at Openreach who inadvertently disconnected our broadband 5 weeks ago and haven't worked out how to reconnect it?
Ah, Openreach. We're not allowed to talk to anyone in Openreach. Apparently being able to do so is bad for the customer, or so the rules from Ofcom say.

Personally I don't think it is possible to have effective competition in utilities because they are, by there very nature of distribution, natural monopolies. But that's the subject of an essay I shall possible write once I'm on the outside

« Reply #7 on: 15 August, 2018, 11:34:54 am »
congratulations

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8 on: 15 August, 2018, 11:43:16 am »
I'll never make it to 40 years.  Theoretically I could but you don't see anyone over 55 in our place, except directors and low-grade cannon fodder.  Anyway, by 62 I'd be £1500 better off per month as a pensioner than as an employee!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #9 on: 15 August, 2018, 02:34:05 pm »
I made ten years last year, that would put me at 73 to make 40 years.  Who knows?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #10 on: 15 August, 2018, 05:32:25 pm »
I spun my last employment out for a couple of months to get my 25 year certificate, then retired after 40 years in the business and many, many thousands of miles of travel and many, many, many nights away.  The company had changed hands a couple of times over the last 10 years, but the (fairly modest - but it's the thought that counts) monetary rewards stayed in place for those achieving the 5 yearly milestones.  Until the last change of ownership, a few months before I left.  I was hoping to buy a new Barbour jacket with my reward. I did, but I had to pay for it.

Skinflints. 

It had been a really, really good employer and I was proud to work for them. Glad I left when I did.

« Reply #11 on: 15 August, 2018, 05:48:51 pm »
I'm aiming for 25 years at our place.
That will mean I get the (trivial) long-service reward, but more importantly we will have paid off the two loans we took out for the caravan and the car required to tow it.
Whether I will be able to afford to retire at that point is a question I have not yet dared ask (it's about 16 months away).
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #12 on: 15 August, 2018, 06:57:47 pm »
I think I'm 12annabit years in, and the FTE salary is less than the job I left in December 1999 - although of course I'm on about 2/3 of full time hours, and 3/4s of that because of the term time only thing.  If I don't find something better in the meantime I'l probably have to stick it out for another few years but when the tax credits and the child support fizzles out I reckon I'll be pretty skint (even if both the kids bugger off) so it'll be bugger off to find full-time minimum wage somewhere if I can get it.  I doubt I'll ever be able to afford to retire!

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #13 on: 15 August, 2018, 10:12:41 pm »
And I reckon clocking up 40 years in anything takes some work - so well done, and I hope that the next chapter is a good'un, whatever it ends up being about :)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #14 on: 16 August, 2018, 12:10:41 am »
Nobody is going to present me with a long service award, i admire your fortitude.  :thumbsup:

Astonishingly, I've just worked out that the bike shop is the longest period I've ever held down a single job*! Scary...

*Although I worked for CarPartsBigCo between 95 & 04, I did something else in 98.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #15 on: 16 August, 2018, 06:30:26 am »
Thank you for your kind words. Oddly, although I am stupidly happy to receive the long service recognition1, it seems to me that the actual act of working for a firm for 40 years is due more to habit and laziness than anything else.

BT have had the best years of my life, but then they have also provided me with opportunity and training/education to exploit that. It’s been a symbiotic relationship, which all the best careers are I suppose. I’ve also had a lot of fun along the way, though as you’d expect with such a long period of them, they’ve been utter bastards to me on occasion as well. To quote Frankie, ‘Regets, I’ve had a few, but then again to few to mention’

1. The included £500 prepaid Visa card might have something to do with this  ;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #16 on: 16 August, 2018, 10:49:39 am »
Congratulations, Beardy. I know what you mean about habit and laziness as I'm prone to the same, but there's nothing wrong with appreciating a bit of stability in your life - having been made redundant twice in the last five years, it's something I'm envious of. That the company still wants you hanging around the place after that long suggests that you have something worthwhile to offer them, so that prepaid Visa is certainly well-earned.

Even if I wanted to stay in my current position until I'm in my 80s, I'd be surprised if the job still exists by the time I'm 50 (I'm 46 now).
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #17 on: 16 August, 2018, 12:21:07 pm »
It's not really 'habit and laziness' – we've all been persuaded that we must must must be forever in motion, clambering up the 'career ladder,' hauling ourselves hand over foot into the rarified heights of management, then moving again and again in pursuit of further gains. Nah. If you find a balance between a job you mostly like (or don't hate) and an actual life where you get to go home in an evening, see the kids, do the things you actually want to do, while getting paid enough to do them, why not stick with it? Your job isn't the most important thing in life and I'm not sure why we've made it so, it's another of those modern cons. I feel a bit sorry for the people who work all hours, sit up till midnight for pointless conference calls, interrupt their holidays, etc. They're handing their life over to someone else.

I could get paid more if I moved on, and there's days of corporate BS when I think about it (but there's security in the big machine and any other similar sized mothership with have similar BS), but mostly I have a reasonable balance of the things that are important to me and when I power down my machine in the evening, it's over.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #18 on: 16 August, 2018, 12:44:20 pm »
ian, you are absolutely correct in every respect.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
« Reply #19 on: 16 August, 2018, 10:13:26 pm »
Congratulations!
Looks like they have not skimped toooo much on the rewards too.  Glad that you appreciate honours and hope they serve you well.
My employer tried to give me a long service award (£200 which works out to about 0.2p per hour worked  ::-)) a couple of years ago too - I asked them to give it charity.  Boy! did that open a can of worms!  ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20 on: 17 August, 2018, 08:26:32 am »
Congratulations!

Mentioned the clock to Mrs T and she praised BT's originality. Still, £500 is £500, innit?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #21 on: 17 August, 2018, 08:55:59 am »
I am please to report that Dr Beardy (Mrs) has been giving some considerable thought to the conundrum of what we should spend my long service bonus on. I don’t know what I would do without her thoughtful contributions  ::-)