Author Topic: Brooks B17 aged advice please - what to do with the lace?  (Read 1855 times)

Brooks B17 aged advice please - what to do with the lace?
« on: 21 February, 2013, 04:07:47 pm »
I've had various models of Brooks over the past few years, but have found only the B17 to suit me (will have a Team Pro and a Swift probably going up for sale soon).

The other B17s I've had have been the standard model (apart from a B17 Select adorning my 'best' bike), and so none have had the lace holes.

I've just acquired an unused B17 'aged', complete with holes and the lace already threaded through. It's brand new and will need the ususal break-in; however, somewhat embarrasingly, I'm not sure what to do with the lace. Should I remove it until break-in is complete, or keep it in but tied loosely, or should I tighten it more firmly?

Not really sure what to do so any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Brooks B17 aged advice please - what to do with the lace?
« Reply #1 on: 21 February, 2013, 04:19:13 pm »
Same as for the Brooks Imperial saddles; tie it just tight enough that the saddle doesn't change shape from the laces. They act as a restraint against saddle deformation (side flaps flaring) when you sit on it.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 21 February, 2013, 04:54:52 pm »
That's a matter of personal preference.

If you feel the saddle is too stiff for you, loosen the laces, or even take them off completely. On the other
hand, if you feel that you sink into the saddle too deeply, tighten up the laces and you'll feel the saddle gets stiffer.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 21 February, 2013, 07:00:09 pm »
The Aged saddles have a treatment that makes them quite soft from the start. It is unlikely that removing the laces would be a good idea with regards to durability.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 21 February, 2013, 08:03:33 pm »
The Aged saddles have a treatment that makes them quite soft from the start. It is unlikely that removing the laces would be a good idea with regards to durability.

That's exactly what the man at Brooks told us when we had the visit to the factory ... I have an "aged" here and although it's still BNIB it's noticeably softer that the BNIB ordinary black B17 that I also have.

Rob

« Reply #5 on: 21 February, 2013, 11:03:46 pm »
(will have a Team Pro and a Swift probably going up for sale soon).

No help whatsoever on the laces - but may I express an early interest in the Swift?

« Reply #6 on: 22 February, 2013, 02:36:59 pm »
Thanks all - jsabine, I'll drop you a line when I'm about to sell (need to get a few other things sorted first). The Swift is only 18 months old, has a good 'patina' but one or two scrapes and a v. slight ding on one of the seat rails. As a result, I won't be asking a great deal of cash for it. After 2,000kms+ though, it just doesn't suit m rear end & has ben replaced with a B17.

« Reply #7 on: 22 February, 2013, 03:31:00 pm »
I'll drop you a line when I'm about to sell .... it just doesn't suit m rear end & has ben replaced with a B17.

Cheers ...

I'm sort-of going the other way - been reasonably happy on a Pro, but a Swift just seems that little bit more suited (or I am more suited to it), so switching a couple of bikes over. Pre-scuffed is welcome as it saves my feelings of guilt.