Author Topic: Garmin Edge Touring  (Read 7415 times)

Garmin Edge Touring
« on: 30 August, 2013, 08:06:57 am »
What’s the heads up on the Garmin Touring??
http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/08/garmin-touring-computer.html

NOTE; “Minimize ascent”….

"Garmin has pre-loaded the unit with free maps from Openstreet "

Re: Garmin Edge Touring
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2013, 09:13:00 am »
Great that Garmin are working with Rainmaker to get some real world input into designs. I'm still waiting for the Bryton Rider 60 to appear - it was announced in May but has yet to appear anywhere - this has all of the above and more, inc bluetooth and optional OS maps. The Garmins hit very attractive price points, but having read of so many software issues, I'm wary about parting with any cash.

« Reply #2 on: 30 August, 2013, 09:21:13 am »
Well that's the end of AAA if you can minimise ascent on the fly . 

« Reply #3 on: 30 August, 2013, 09:24:55 am »
30/8/13, Assumed quality Issues; “but having read of so many software issues”.
30/8/13, Market Launches; “I'm wary about parting with any cash”

Take that away Mr Garmin.

Chris N

« Reply #4 on: 30 August, 2013, 10:30:19 am »
Well that's the end of AAA if you can minimise ascent on the fly .

::-)

Perhaps you should go and find something more constructive to do.  Go for a bike ride?

« Reply #5 on: 30 August, 2013, 11:26:28 am »
If they'd done an AA version, I would be interested. As it is, Etrex 30 with OFM still seems to me to be the faff-free setup.

As a premium strava user, I can already make "avoid hills" routes easily if I wanted to (I don't - I wish they would do a find hills version).

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 30 August, 2013, 12:17:08 pm »
It looks like a simpler/cheaper version of the Edge 800/810.
Seems its the same hardware, but simplified software. ie most of the training features removed. The Edge Touring Plus supports a heart rate monitor, but not cadence.
Plus a few extra features for route planning.
Good to see some 'official' support for OpenStreetMap. I wonder if its a special customised version, and can you update it, or add other areas etc?

Though still the same non-replaceable batteries, not really the best option for touring.

« Reply #7 on: 30 August, 2013, 08:37:33 pm »
If you run a dynamo they are great for touring.  Was away for 5+weeks ,never used mains power.
Used a usb-werk and never ran out, just charge another cache  battery then charge the garmin at night.
Also have the tout terrain plug +  tried it without extra battery but it cut out on some climbs  (lost external power warning )
 Like the design will buy a very short usb cable for it, Heard they will have a battery soon, hope it  fits down the steerer tube like cable to dynamo.

« Reply #8 on: 03 September, 2013, 08:10:10 am »
It looks like a simpler/cheaper version of the Edge 800/810.
Seems its the same hardware, but simplified software. ie most of the training features removed. The Edge Touring Plus supports a heart rate monitor, but not cadence.Plus a few extra features for route planning.
Good to see some 'official' support for OpenStreetMap. I wonder if its a special customised version, and can you update it, or add other areas etc?

Though still the same non-replaceable batteries, not really the best option for touring.

This is because it is aimed at the older generation who are concerned about their 'dicky ticker'; and have enough experience to know how fast their cranks are turning for best effectiveness.

« Reply #9 on: 09 September, 2013, 01:13:18 pm »
Do you mean me?

« Reply #10 on: 10 September, 2013, 05:04:03 pm »
Just found this on ctcshop/wiggle. Seems like a good price too, £175.
http://www.ctcshop.org.uk/garmin-edge-touring-gps-cycle-computer/

« Reply #11 on: 10 September, 2013, 05:31:58 pm »
Woo hoo...

I get CTC discount....

« Reply #12 on: 16 November, 2013, 07:56:42 am »
Go Outdoors have the Edge Touring / GB Discoverer 1:50k bundle for £280.

I thought it was pre-loaded with OSM cycle mapping ???

I suspect, that with GB Discoverer loaded, the unit retains the ideology that amateur leisure cyclists are scared of main roads.
I suspect with OCM mapping loaded, its worse.

I do really like the 'No motorways' option automatically engaged when 'By bicycle' is selected, and being given the option of what types of road I prefer.
Garmin tend to make the user's mind up for them, to a point when the only way of getting a decent direct route is to pre-plan to the minutest detail.
Garmins are not terribly good at ad-hoc route planning without a computer connected.

« Reply #13 on: 29 November, 2013, 01:09:37 pm »
Chris Juden doesn't give it a sparkling write-up in the CTC magazine.

Oh well, keep the TomTom.  :-\

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 29 November, 2013, 01:18:21 pm »
He makes a very good point about OSM-derived mapping.  It's inherently inconsistent about road/path/track types, because it's a mixture of people's local knowledge and judgements, and is liable to lead you on a Sustrans adventure if you route for foot or bicycle.  Not that that isn't sometimes useful, but I think I'll stick to City Navigator maps.

« Reply #15 on: 21 April, 2014, 05:55:01 pm »
Can somebody explain the maps thing?

I don't know anything about GPS but am thinking of getting one. The Touring looks good to me as I'm really not fussed about heart rate, cadence, how many calories it thinks I've burnt or any of that nonsense - I just want to know where the fuck I'm going.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #16 on: 21 April, 2014, 09:55:01 pm »
He makes a very good point about OSM-derived mapping.  It's inherently inconsistent about road/path/track types, because it's a mixture of people's local knowledge and judgements, and is liable to lead you on a Sustrans adventure if you route for foot or bicycle.  Not that that isn't sometimes useful, but I think I'll stick to City Navigator maps.

While still using City Navigator maps the routing results were a lot worse as compared to OSM mapping. What completely is missing on the CN Maps are the bikepaths along motorwaybridges etc. So while there's a perfeclty sensible shortcut over a bridge the CN often wanted to lead me to the next bridge, 20km in the other direction.
So OSM for me now.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #17 on: 21 April, 2014, 10:58:54 pm »
The Touring looks good to me as I'm really not fussed about heart rate, cadence, how many calories it thinks I've burnt or any of that nonsense - I just want to know where the fuck I'm going.

A GPS will tell you where you are, and (if you're moving) which way you're headed, and how quickly.
None of that is map-dependent, but you can add a map into the mix, and it can be good, bad or indifferent.  The GPS can interact with meta-data within a map to give you really useful information such as "Turn round, when possible."

OSM maps get mentioned a lot here, they are free and in my book they are 'indifferent' verging on 'good'.  You can't argue with the value for money.
OS maps are also possible, but on a GPS they are expensive, and crap.  Even if they are free (see Garmin Touring) the other still applies.
Garmin's own maps are expensive, and 'good'.
A mix of Garmin and OSM mapping is ideal, and easily achievable on a Garmin Touring model, I think.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #18 on: 22 April, 2014, 07:26:20 am »
I'd back up Frankie's outspoken views :)   on OS on GPS.

My Etrex 20 came with a free small sample.

Me being a bit thick I had to call Garmin support and had a mini row with them initially - I thought I'd been denied my freebie.

I'm so glad I did as on seeing it in all its pictorial glory it convinced me that it was worse than useless  compared to OSM.

OS paper maps are of course a thing of wonder but that's an entirely different application.

I now mainly use the openfietsmap OSM variant on an Etrex 20 - the OP could save a fair amount of money by going down that route I think.

<edited for typo brainstorm - no change to sense>

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #19 on: 23 April, 2014, 11:44:59 am »
Map first on somewhere like ridewithgps and use OSM maps. By pre mapping you can use google earth images to check the roadsurface and the paths for obstructions. I am more keen on this now having had some "interesting" adventures when led down sustrans paths or muddy, uncyclable ditches as sections of them are.

« Reply #20 on: 23 April, 2014, 09:57:07 pm »
‘Cycle touring’ is going out on a bicycle and ending up where your fancy takes you. The day’s destinations might change during the outing.

To label something ‘touring’ and still expect the user to pre-plan their route is a bit retrograde in the SatNav stakes.

« Reply #21 on: 07 December, 2014, 11:42:01 pm »
Anyone using one of these?

Is the mapping any good?

The maps and general data seem pretty much perfect for me, I'm not too interested in training and HRM, I have a watch for that if I really want it from my running days.

« Reply #22 on: 08 December, 2014, 09:52:29 am »
I got one in January, mainly to record group rides so I know where I've been!

Haven't had any problems, once I'd gleaned info on here on how the various files and terms relate to each other, though I still don't fully understand, and I'm not convinced that anyone does.

The supplied maps are fine for me. Mine also came with a GB OS set of maps on a separate memory card.  The standard maps are clearer because they have less info, and if you are following directions, they only work with the standard maps.