Author Topic: Have I discovered a flaw in the design of Brooks saddles?  (Read 3819 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Have I discovered a flaw in the design of Brooks saddles?
« Reply #25 on: 21 April, 2017, 08:23:14 am »
I would say, not so much saddle height, but the angle of tilt.I have had a Spa nidd now for prob 4 years, and maybe 25-30 000 km. It's great, but I'm always fettling it. If I don't ride for a few weeks, and then go out, it will feel a bit wrong. I have the saddle perched upon a Nitto SP72  Jaguar seat post,with long layback and twin bolt adjustment, allowing infinite fettlement. I find if I turn the front bolt 1/2 turn to angle the nose down a tad, I'm faster, but less comfy, with more weight on my hands, but when I go  back to where it was, or even back 1/2 turn the other way ( nose up) , it gets more comfy but slower. I came to the conclusion that its down to the angle of the pelvis, ( hips), and too much nose up feels like riding a 'bent.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #26 on: 21 April, 2017, 09:25:21 am »
I'm a strong believer in nose tilted down - which seems very unfashionable these days.  I agree it does put more weight onto the arms but to me that's a price worth paying in exchange for a) less weight on the bum and b) more power transfer.
Most of my riding these days is touring with groups of 16 or so others, and I'm often left speechless at the majority of hammock-like nose-up saddles I see.  Instruments of exquisite torture, I presume.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #27 on: 21 April, 2017, 09:33:56 am »
I prefer my saddle to be more or less flat but will err towards nose down if the adjustment on the seat pin doesn't allow flat. 

Having repaired one of the broken B17's I note now that the saddle is much firmer.   Clearly when a tension bolt is failing it goes all floppy giving the perception of the leather stretching.  I'm now debating whether to fit it back on the bike to see how it feels.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 21 April, 2017, 05:26:01 pm »
I'm a strong believer in nose tilted down - which seems very unfashionable these days.  I agree it does put more weight onto the arms but to me that's a price worth paying in exchange for a) less weight on the bum and b) more power transfer.
Most of my riding these days is touring with groups of 16 or so others, and I'm often left speechless at the majority of hammock-like nose-up saddles I see.  Instruments of exquisite torture, I presume.

Pragmatically, when I have to use a saddle, I favour genital pain over not being able to use my hands.  For me the best compromise is usually found with it flat, but I suppose men can get away with a more nose-up position, so I don't blame them!

My limited experience of B17s is that while the width is good, they either put far too much pressure in the wrong places, or are so nose down I'm sliding off the front of them.  I seem to get on better with saddles that have a cut-out.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #29 on: 22 April, 2017, 07:49:11 am »
I prefer my saddle to be more or less flat but will err towards nose down if the adjustment on the seat pin doesn't allow flat. 

Having repaired one of the broken B17's I note now that the saddle is much firmer.   Clearly when a tension bolt is failing it goes all floppy giving the perception of the leather stretching.  I'm now debating whether to fit it back on the bike to see how it feels.

Must say mine is 'visually' flat but 1/2 turn on the front bolt 'feels'different, even tho Visually it is no different what so ever.

If its an older saddle, ie one you probably wouldn't sell on, try drilling a couple of holes in either flap, and gently lacing it up with a small( or 2 linked) zip ties, to pull your flaps in a bit. Not only does it stop your flaps spreading, but it also slightly changes the shape of the top, making it more supportive. Take a look at pics of a Spa Nidd, mine is still laced after 4 years, and holds perfect shape, yet I see fellow riders on a B17 and the flaps are stuck out, as it the are sitting on a squashed bird.  When I adjust mine, its not because its uncomfy, but because I haven't been on it for a while, it just feels odd. I should leave well alone really.