Author Topic: Utilitarian Adventures  (Read 152518 times)

Re: Utilitarian Adventures
« Reply #575 on: 22 May, 2019, 09:26:42 pm »
Bravo!!
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #576 on: 23 May, 2019, 11:24:52 am »
And original goggles were found 20 minutes later

« Reply #577 on: 23 May, 2019, 11:38:40 am »
And original goggles were found 20 minutes later
But of course !
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #578 on: 15 June, 2019, 03:40:30 pm »
So far this weekend my utilitarian cycling has included a xydle to a event about climate change put on by a really inspirational 13 year old girl and met the principal of the school who said that he had a tourer and said take the bike inside as too nice to leave outside

Then today a trip to get webbing and buckles to make replacement straps for the girls buoyancy aids then to get some gardening vouchers then to a 1st birthday drop in picnic thing

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #579 on: 15 June, 2019, 04:42:36 pm »
Sounds like the kind of person who should be in charge of a school!  :thumbsup: Puzzled about the buoyancy aids though. I mean, we have had a lot of rain but if you need buoyancy aids for the gardening...  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #580 on: 07 July, 2019, 01:55:02 pm »
Apart from cycling to school with little Joe this weeks only utilitarian adventure was a trip into the city center on the Circe Helios in cargo mode to collect a new suit.  Perhaps not a trip many would imagine to warrant a cargo bike but the advantage was being able to lay the new suit out on the large rack thus avoiding a scrunched up mess on arrival home.

« Reply #581 on: 13 July, 2019, 05:52:32 pm »
Trying to clear some junk out of my loft so I've more space to put junk up there.   :facepalm:

A mixed load of old wheels , tyres, a crap frame, old stools & chairs, a knackered record player, old duvet, pillows & bedding, 2(!) vacuum cleaners.  All had to be dragged out of the loft & carried down 8 flights of stairs.

That meant 4 trips to the dump with the Carry Freedom trailer.  I'm a bit knackered now.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #582 on: 26 July, 2019, 07:45:00 am »
Much curtailed list of errands last night asamaged to get the wife a bottle of wine, pick up a portable DVD player from a friend and then having seen lightning, felt the rain and the wind pick up and the humidity went to about 786% decided to race home. Was the right choice as was raining hard minutes after I got home.

« Reply #583 on: 07 August, 2019, 06:39:50 am »
Our car died the day before we were meant to drive it to Germany. Thankfully got lent a car for holiday and it's an easy fix once the part arrives but means we currently don't have a fully functioning car.

This meant last night a trip to brothers to help him carry a chest of drawers up stairs and then a cycle to one of t'wifes middle class friends to pick up some eco washing liquid.

Today will. Involve seeing how much of aldis finest can be fitted onto my bike, answer will be a fair bit but will again make me consider butterfly/touring bars on the tourer rathe then drops

Tomorrow will involve the kids cycling round to my mother's so the wife can have a few hours without them

Lots of utilitarianism

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #584 on: 13 September, 2019, 08:33:13 am »
Emergency trousers delivery yesterday  ;D

« Reply #585 on: 28 September, 2019, 03:35:45 pm »
Last night I lamented having my thorn club tour stripped off usual dynamo and pannier due to using for a charity ride next weekend. Had to refit a rear rack and charge bike lights.

Once that was done we cycled to our friends for dinner. Probably 1 1/2 miles on majority cycle paths and then obviously home after. They thought we were very adventurous for having the audacity not to drive.

Then today around 7 miles with the wife and kids to go scrumping. Got around 8kg of apples including one that was a pound on its own (yes I know mixing metric and imperial)

« Reply #586 on: 28 September, 2019, 07:06:08 pm »
 All had to be dragged out of the loft & carried down 8 flights of stairs.
You live in a castle?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #587 on: 29 September, 2019, 11:42:45 pm »
 All had to be dragged out of the loft & carried down 8 flights of stairs.
You live in a castle?

Or a top floor flat

« Reply #588 on: 16 November, 2019, 04:10:19 pm »
The wife and kids were out for afternoon and the wife is going out afterwards so a lovely 25km amble to get the girls and the car. Added in a visit to the local zero waste store to get our washing liquid refilled. I try to cycle there or make sure its included in a route someone else as the irony of burning diesel/petrol to save a bit of packing isn't lost on me.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #589 on: 16 November, 2019, 05:32:04 pm »
The wife and kids were out for afternoon and the wife is going out afterwards so a lovely 25km amble to get the girls and the car. Added in a visit to the local zero waste store to get our washing liquid refilled. I try to cycle there or make sure its included in a route someone else as the irony of burning diesel/petrol to save a bit of packing isn't lost on me.

Where is this "local zero waste store" of which you speak???

« Reply #590 on: 16 November, 2019, 05:51:34 pm »
The one I went to is at Tiptree. Google reco Tiptree. Apparently there is also one in Maldon

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #591 on: 16 November, 2019, 05:55:20 pm »
Where is this "local zero waste store" of which you speak???

Moseley, obviously...

Oscar's dad

« Reply #592 on: 16 November, 2019, 06:02:17 pm »
The one I went to is at Tiptree. Google reco Tiptree. Apparently there is also one in Maldon

:thumbsup:

« Reply #593 on: 02 December, 2019, 02:23:53 pm »
A short cycle to help fell some small trees at local cub/scout camp. They're planting a load of saplings to build a hedge so needed to clear access and thin so they will get light. Cold on way there and not warm enough and plenty dirty enough on the roads to give me no confidence descending on way home. I will admit someone picked up all the chainsaw gear I have I didn't have it on the bike but an had been for them to carry on after I had left but we had finished

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #594 on: 14 December, 2019, 01:34:36 pm »
Apparently a lot of this thread could be described as "quaxing". If you really felt the need to use a silly word for a sensible and normal everyday activity.
Quaxing
For those who don’t know, ‘to quax’ means to shop by means of walking, cycling or public transit.

The word comes from the spectacularly-named Dick Quax, who won a silver medal for New Zealand in the 5,000m at the 1976 Olympics and who later became a politician.

In January 2015, Quax tweeted his disbelief that anyone in the Western world would go shopping by means of "walking, cycling, or public transit."
https://road.cc/content/news/269499-live-blog-freeman-lawyer-loses-attempt-have-case-thrown-out-quaxing-work-starts
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #595 on: 14 December, 2019, 01:38:40 pm »
It was a hastag on the twitterwebs for a while.  Many pleasing photos of bikes carrying Stuff.

Cor, it's still going: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23quaxing

« Reply #596 on: 14 December, 2019, 03:22:30 pm »
So after I went quaxing today have I quaxed? And once I've told the story here have I quaxed lyrical

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #597 on: 14 December, 2019, 06:58:39 pm »
It was a hastag on the twitterwebs for a while.  Many pleasing photos of bikes carrying Stuff.

Cor, it's still going: https://twitter.com/search?q=%23quaxing
Oh wow. I haven't read this thread for ages, and I come back to find this:
https://twitter.com/colvilleandersn/status/1205226516700901378
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #598 on: 15 December, 2019, 09:59:23 am »
Cycled to and from a party last night. Bloody soaked on way home but the reactions from other people were great. Generally oh your the mad people cycling we saw mentioned on the group chat but one lady said my wife looked too glamerous for cycling. Proof you can cycle in normal or indeed party clothes although she did wear trainers and change into her heels there!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #599 on: 15 December, 2019, 12:21:04 pm »
 :thumbsup: