Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 131427 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/13/phone-north-sea-rebekah-vardy-coleen-rooney-libel-case

I read that purely because it was written by Marina Hyde, and I always read MH's stuff. But it's actually quite hard for me to comprehend what is going on as I don't know the back story. I think it's not the first time that Marina has written about it, but since I never find out anything else about WAGs and their dark underworld, I don't know what was said about whom by whom. And I don't care.

I suppose this doesn't really belong in the Sport board - although I suppose for slebs, fighting libel cases is a form of sport. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why I bothered to post. Maybe I'm after someone who does know the back story to give me a potted history of it so that I don't have to trawl through lots of pages of tabloid shite in order to find out what's going on.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Someone was leaking Stuffs about Mrs Rooney to The Sc*m from a private Instagram thingie.  Mrs C suspected Mrs Vardy so planted a couple of fake stories, to which only the two of them had access.  Said stories duly appeared in Don Rupino's shit-sheet.  “Gotcha!” cries Mrs C, for surely this was the smoking gnu gun she sought.  “I never!” replies Mrs V.  Legal proceedings ensued.

Also, “Wagnarok” made me done a roffle.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/61540417
With no Argentina defenders chasing him, he first slowed to a trot and then stood in the Argentina in-goal area holding the ball and looked to the England bench for advice on what to do.
He was advised to run down the clock and proceeded to stand there for more than two minutes, with no Argentina defender approaching him, despite encouragement - but not insistence - from the referee for either Homer to put the ball down or a defender to force him to do so.
Poor show.  You see this sort of thing in the 11 man game from time to time, but I would have thought the more gentlemanly game would treat this more seriously.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
I have just learned from my Dear Son that

(click to show/hide)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Canada is the spiritual home of ice hockey so beating them always means something. Like beating England at cricket or football, I suppose, except probably more so!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Canada is the spiritual home of ice hockey so beating them always means something. Like beating England at cricket or football, I suppose, except probably more so!

Except that everyone beats England at cricket and football.   All the time.
So it's probably a bit more special than that.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

However holding the Ice hockey world cup at the same time as the Stanley Cup playoffs means that the best of the NHL players from all countries are unavailable as they are still playing for their club sides. On the basis of the representation in the NHL I suspect that both the USA and Canada sides could have been much stronger, though equally the Sweedes, Finns and Czechs were probably missing some stars.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

Basil

• Help me!
Wales have won the Eurovision fupbol contest.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jun/05/wales-ukraine-world-cup-2022-playoff-final-match-report

I went to the pub to watch it.  I was a bit late, so I was worried that I might not get a decent seat.
When I got there there were only three people in and the TV wasn't even switched on.
Wrong shaped ball for this area it would seem.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
To Worcester last Friday to watch the Women's Premiership 15s final. Ms Marco was on the bench for Saracens vs Exeter (as 9, possibly 10 in extremis). No injuries meant she got a whole 3 minutes at the end as the bench was emptied, but managed to break a ring finger in her first defensive tackle (tendon tore off a piece of bone  :o), which is somewhat sub-optimal for a scrum-half. A convincing win for Saracens through aggressive defence and more effective attack than Exeter; good match.

A broken finger didn't seem to hinder a boozy celebratory night out (in sweaty and champagne-soaked game shirts)...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
Wales have won the Eurovision fupbol contest.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/jun/05/wales-ukraine-world-cup-2022-playoff-final-match-report

Arising out of the above, I have just had the following drawn to my attention - this from the semifinal v Austria. So perhaps Wales have won Eurovision.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLXtf1XFczk&ab_channel=FAWales

Cudzoziemiec

I like their reggae hats!(!)
I feel like I've heard that tune with Polish words, but I think it's just that kind of tune that sounds like other things.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
There was a rugby match at Twickenham. Crikey, England didn't do very well...

I don't think anyone was expecting anything else.  (Few Welshmen  - as in zero - in the Baa-Baas starting line-up)

Basil

• Help me!
Wales beat thrashed Wiltshire (Sir Wilt?) at Llandysul today.  First time we've had a proper Minor Counties match here.

Great fun.

Basil, is that near Newcastle Emlyn?  I had a brother who lived in or near Llandysul.  Then he moved to Wiltshire - then he died.  Has a sort of poetry to it, don't you think?  Like me he was a cricket fan (we both originated in Durham, then a minor county.  His schoolteacher opened the batting for them).  He'd be amused at Wales being considered as a minor county!  Scotland, which can also claim us as descendants is, of course a minor country...not nearly as poetic.

Basil

• Help me!
Basil, is that near Newcastle Emlyn?  I had a brother who lived in or near Llandysul.  Then he moved to Wiltshire - then he died.  Has a sort of poetry to it, don't you think?  Like me he was a cricket fan (we both originated in Durham, then a minor county.  His schoolteacher opened the batting for them).  He'd be amused at Wales being considered as a minor county!  Scotland, which can also claim us as descendants is, of course a minor country...not nearly as poetic.

Yes, that's us. Mrs B is also a County Durham girl.  And I am half Scottish.
Inherited my love of cricket from my mum.

:D  I love coincidences!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCd4yDg5kIc&ab_channel=CR%27sVideoVaults

I've just stumbled across this rather good hour or so of nostalgia.

Watching England in 1980: I have absolutely no recollection whatever of Clive Woodward as a player.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Nor have I, even after reading his autobiography.  He seems to make more of his career as a photocopier salesman.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Tour de France
Wimbledon
Eng v India Cricket

Just sayin'   :thumbsup:
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

I like the slices but can't get worked up about the filling!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Tour de France
Wimbledon
Eng v India Cricket

Just sayin'   :thumbsup:

And the BRITISH Grand Prix…
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

And some rugby too.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)