Author Topic: Wireless domestic light switches?  (Read 4198 times)

Wireless domestic light switches?
« on: 09 February, 2017, 05:53:22 pm »
Anybody know about these?

In our kitchen, there is a light switch next to the door to the dining room, but not by the external door. I'm currently managing this with a PIR switch, but ideally I'd like to use two switches in a conventional manner...

I've seen switches which replace the existing wall switch and allow you to use a remote control much like a car's. I've also seen wall mounted transmitters that control receivers mounted at the light unit on the ceiling. I haven't seen a receiver mounted in a light switch and paired with a wall mounted transmitter. Does anyone know of such a product? It seems the most obvious and useful combination to me, so I'm surprised that I've not found one.
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Re: Wireless domestic light switches?
« Reply #1 on: 09 February, 2017, 08:54:52 pm »
Can you just have a ceiling mounted wireless receivers, and two wall mounted transmitters? There's no need to continue to use the existing wire from the switch to the light.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #2 on: 09 February, 2017, 09:55:18 pm »
ideally I'd like to use two switches in a conventional manner...

That sounds like the best idea.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #3 on: 09 February, 2017, 10:23:54 pm »
The colossally over engineered solution to this would be a Philips Hue bulb and two Hue dimmer switches, but you're looking at About fifty quid for all that.

The other solution would be a remote control switch by the inside door, and a basket and a bit of string by the outside door to stop the remote going walkabout.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 09 February, 2017, 10:26:33 pm »
If you're going to use string, then a proper Heath Robinson pulley system to operate the existing switch remotely is the way to go.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5 on: 09 February, 2017, 10:51:34 pm »
If you're going to use string, then a proper Heath Robinson pulley system to operate the existing switch remotely is the way to go.

;D

Yeah.  This one.  Switches your light on remotely and also makes pizza.  :thumbsup:

Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Feanor

« Reply #6 on: 09 February, 2017, 11:01:11 pm »
That drawing brings back memories.

When I was a kid, my Dad used to buy some dead-trees mashed up with ink on them.
On a Sunday, it was called 'The Observer'.

As a kid, I was not interested in most of the content, but I did like the Tim Hunkin "The Rudiments of Wisdom" cartoons of how stuffs worked.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 09 February, 2017, 11:48:17 pm »

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8 on: 09 February, 2017, 11:53:39 pm »

POTD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Feanor

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #10 on: 11 February, 2017, 06:59:34 pm »
You could try:
http://buyhomeeasy.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=125
The main downside seems to be the need to change batteries in the wall switch from time to time ...
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #11 on: 11 February, 2017, 08:17:35 pm »
You could try:
The main downside seems to be the need to change batteries in the wall switch from time to time ...
Batteries will last yonks in conditions like that. They only do anything when you are actually turning the lights on and off.

My car allegedly tells me when the battery in the remote goes low. I've only had it for 12 years and I haven't found out yet if that will happen, so it shows how little the battery is used.

If you want wireless, batteries are almost inevitable. I did see this http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/limit-switches/1234596/ recently, which uses the switch force to generate the electricity to run the transmitter, but I don't think that has ever made it to domestic switches.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...

« Reply #12 on: 12 February, 2017, 12:26:18 pm »
You could try:

Aye. I could. But that's a ceiling rose mounted receiver/switch, as I mentioned in the OP. I'd like a wall switch with a built-in receiver (something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crystal-Glass-1-Gang-1-Way-Panel-Touch-Remote-Control-Lamp-Switch-White-/191699651008) but with a wall mounted remote control, as per your link, rather than the little key-fob thing.

The nearest I've found so far is this: http://www.homewizard.co.uk/smartwares-inbouwschakelaar-400w-sh5-rbs-04a.html which appears to be hideable in the existing wall box, but lacks a local switch. So I could install that and two RC switches, I suppose. But a built in switch would be neater, if anybody knows of one!

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

I like the string and pulley arrangement, btw!  :thumbsup:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #13 on: 12 February, 2017, 01:45:33 pm »
That drawing brings back memories.

When I was a kid, my Dad used to buy some dead-trees mashed up with ink on them.
On a Sunday, it was called 'The Observer'.

As a kid, I was not interested in most of the content, but I did like the Tim Hunkin "The Rudiments of Wisdom" cartoons of how stuffs worked.
Tim Hunkin's 'other' book is a tome called 'Almost everything there is to know' of which I have a copy, and it is in a similar vein.
I worked for a while with Tim whilst at the Science Museum - re-furbing The Human Factor - an ergonomics exhibition of his.
We converted it from a permanent exhibition into a traveling one - and took it to Lisbon.
Unsurprisingly, he is a fun guy to work with.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #14 on: 12 February, 2017, 02:46:51 pm »
There was a TV Series - The Secret Life of Machines, where Tim and his dangerous friend Rex Garrod gave the impression that risk assessments were things that other people did.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 12 February, 2017, 04:08:27 pm »
There was a TV Series - The Secret Life of Machines, where Tim and his dangerous friend Rex Garrod gave the impression that risk assessments were things that other people did.

Barakta and I spent Christmas 2005 subtitling all three series of that for a couple of geeky Deaf friends.

I did send a copy to the site that was hosting the videos, but I don't think anything ever came of it.

(PM me if you'd like the SRT files)

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/SLOM/

« Reply #16 on: 12 February, 2017, 04:27:47 pm »
The Secret Life of Machines was, and may possibly still be (It's a while since I've been there), an exhibition in the basement of the Science Museum.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 12 February, 2017, 04:30:19 pm »
It was still there last year, though some of the exhibits were broken.

« Reply #18 on: 13 February, 2017, 11:50:55 am »
It was still there last year, though some of the exhibits were broken.

Funny that. Could have something to do with me and others like me, no longer having jobs there  :facepalm:

« Reply #19 on: 13 February, 2017, 09:30:05 pm »
I like the MK echo switches, the switch has a piezo inside to power the transmitter rather than batteries, so there is just a receiver to install in the light, then code up the switches

HTH