Author Topic: Grimpeurs du Sud  (Read 254857 times)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
Re: Grimpeurs du Sud
« Reply #75 on: 30 September, 2010, 10:03:12 am »
There are gpx files publicly available for many of the calendar GdS events; all of which would be GdS eligible as a DIY by GPS, I'm happy for mine to be used but not sure about the other orgs.
That's fantastic. I had no idea. This means I can have a go at them at short notice if I can wangle a day off work and the weather is good. All i need to do now is replace my old GPS I sold for £20 cos it was an old entry-level Etrex.  :smug:
Am thinking of the top range Etrex - any comments?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #76 on: 30 September, 2010, 10:27:58 am »
There are gpx files publicly available for many of the calendar GdS events; all of which would be GdS eligible as a DIY by GPS, I'm happy for mine to be used but not sure about the other orgs.
That's fantastic. I had no idea. This means I can have a go at them at short notice if I can wangle a day off work and the weather is good. All i need to do now is replace my old GPS I sold for £20 cos it was an old entry-level Etrex.  :smug:
Am thinking of the top range Etrex - any comments?

See the GPS section; I believe the new model Garmins are not so good for creating an Audax type route and following it. I have a Vista HcX which is perfect for the job.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #77 on: 30 September, 2010, 02:24:11 pm »
See the GPS section;
I have a Vista HcX which is perfect for the job.
great - done that, read the comments, will buy one - looks like they can be had for about £130. Very many thanks - a personal recommendation is worth more than a hundred online reviews.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #78 on: 13 November, 2010, 06:01:48 pm »
Just checked out Billy Weir's new perm the AAA Milne as a DIY by GPS (109km; 1900m climb, goes up Ashdown Forest 3 times- The Wall- Friars Gate then Duddleswell and it's in the shape of two Pooh balloons on a string)

I took my own suggestion of going via Eridge station to Langton Green; much nicer than the A26 (you have to go along it for a couple of 100m) but then it goes via the car park and a short cycle path to avoid the rest. Pooh's RH balloon looking a bit deflated now.

Bastard hard ride but fantastic views twice from the Forest, although no worse than Down to Downs. Speaking of which I rode from just after Gills Lap to Edenbridge with Mike Plumstead who was riding D2D from home just for the fun of it (D2D for no points; fun?). I went out via Underhill and back via the main road so I could use the jet wash at Marsefield (lots of skog around Mayfield Eridge and in Nursery lane but fine after that)

A couple of Japanese Kamikaze tourists in evidence walking from Hartfield up the main forest road to Gills Lap at dusk  :o (the Japs are Pooh bonkers)

Nice to kick off my 2011 GdS with this one, probably the earliest ever qualifying ride.

Billy Weir

« Reply #79 on: 13 November, 2010, 08:16:17 pm »
Good to read that the AAA Milne lives up to the name.  I will be pulling together the routesheet and submitting the ride to "the powers that be" in the next month or so.  Should be available generally from the New Year.

The 1,900m climb figure is slightly more than I would expect.  I'll do a contour count as part of the submission, as I don't personally trust the climb figures that come out of GPS units, which appear to overstate climbing in the South East by 10% or so.

Now that one is out of my system, I can turn to plotting my 200km and 300km permanents.  The outlines are there (respectively at least 3 and 4.5AAA, possibly more).  I've a choice of routes for each (variations on a theme) so now just need to decide whether to be twisted or evil.  I want the 300 to be the definitive grimpeur event in the South East, which to me means taking in half a dozen of the "classic" climbs of the area (White Lane, Leith Hill, Box Hill, Yorks Hill/Ide Hill, the Wall, White Down, Toys Hill).  I am so close to getting these into a nice route, albeit currently at 315km and goes down rather than up the Wall.  So, so, tantalisingly close.  I'm genuinely looking forward to making it happen.

Billy Weir

« Reply #80 on: 22 November, 2010, 06:24:41 pm »
I'm hoping to submit AAA Milne for approval later this week.

Together with another one that I've labelled "Up N Downs".

What else could the route do but go up the North Downs a handful of times to give noticably more than 2000m of climb in 135km.  Usual drill: Warlingham, Edenbridge, Green Street, Langton Green, Eynsford, Warlingham.  I plan to be the first to ride it this time *smirk*

The 200 will stitch Up N Downs and AAA Milne together.  The 300 will weave in the Surrey Hills.  And that, my grimp seeking fellow travellers, will exhaust the hills around my patch.

Thus will my "'Round Weald Permanent Series" be completed.

Martin

« Reply #81 on: 22 November, 2010, 07:15:30 pm »
Billy; you may have competition, I've had an enquiry from a rider wanting to make their own Surrey Hills perm, but it would involve multiple infos and loops.

I suggested buy a GPS  :)

« Reply #82 on: 22 November, 2010, 07:43:42 pm »
Iquote author=Billy Weir link=topic=1254.msg772220#msg772220 date=1289679377]

The outlines are there (respectively at least 3 and 4.5AAA, possibly more).  I've a choice of routes for each (variations on a theme) so now just need to decide whether to be twisted or evil.  I want the 300 to be the definitive grimpeur event in the South East, which to me means taking in half a dozen of the "classic" climbs of the area (White Lane, Leith Hill, Box Hill, Yorks Hill/Ide Hill, the Wall, White Down, Toys Hill).  I am so close to getting these into a nice route, albeit currently at 315km and goes down rather than up the Wall.  So, so, tantalisingly close.  I'm genuinely looking forward to making it happen.

Great stuff, Make it a Calendar event, could be the South East answer to the Hard Boiled 300km..  :o

The Wall is not too hard, you can get into a rhythm as it goes up in three stages.- Hills and Mills.

Peter James Lane on Mad Jack's is a tough col, along with Doleham Halt- they get the blood pumping!!
 MJ
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

Martin

« Reply #83 on: 22 November, 2010, 07:56:08 pm »
Billy; can you put your 3 rides on the same page once they are up and running so I can do a link off my GdS page?  :)

MJ; shame you missed the ESCA RT yesterday, run by In Gear but presumably an old Chas Robson course out to Tidebrook Snape and then over Brightling, only missed AAA by 80m over the 86km. 169 riders too. And pretty tough at 23.1 kph average.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #84 on: 22 November, 2010, 07:56:54 pm »
 I want the 300 to be the definitive grimpeur event in the South East, which to me means taking in half a dozen of the "classic" climbs of the area (White Lane, Leith Hill, Box Hill, Yorks Hill/Ide Hill, the Wall, White Down, Toys Hill).  I am so close to getting these into a nice route, albeit currently at 315km and goes down rather than up the Wall.  So, so, tantalisingly close.  I'm genuinely looking forward to making it happen.
Box Hill? Perhaps Cycling Weekly would be interested?

Crikey, I seem to have run out of Single Malt ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #85 on: 22 November, 2010, 08:12:54 pm »
MJ; shame you missed the ESCA RT yesterday, run by In Gear but presumably an old Chas Robson course out to Tidebrook Snape and then over Brightling, only missed AAA by 80m over the 86km. 169 riders too.

Hi Zoom; Nearly entered it, missed the entry (avoided it) Not a fan of the A271.
Snap Lane was on the Robertsbridge Rollercoaster 200km I think, many moons ago!
Hills and Mills original route, went that way but made it 135km thus loosing AAA's.

Not sure how they stopped riders nailing it up the A22 avoiding Upper Ricker, Ripe etc? 

169 a great number for a Reliability trial, sort of Numbers we need for AUK events down here!

MJ

Martin

« Reply #86 on: 22 November, 2010, 08:19:45 pm »

Not sure how they stopped riders nailing it up the A22 avoiding Upper Ricker, Ripe etc?  

err they didn't; the last checkpoint was just off the A22 you could have gone R down Camberlot Rd and straight back (a few did but we saw most of the field on the official route)

yes of those 169 riders maybe 10 or 12 were AUK regulars from the Rovers; Wanderers and the Grinny :-\

« Reply #87 on: 22 November, 2010, 08:31:39 pm »
yes of those 169 riders maybe 10 or 12 were AUK regulars from the Rovers; Wanderers and the Grinny :-\

Did the Lewes bag the event.. any one get around in 3hr15!! - No room for error.

Noticed on the route sheet-Refreshments will NOT be provided at the Checkpoints!!  :-[

MJ

Martin

« Reply #88 on: 22 November, 2010, 08:40:02 pm »
yes of those 169 riders maybe 10 or 12 were AUK regulars from the Rovers; Wanderers and the Grinny :-\

Did the Lewes bag the event.. any one get around in 3hr15!! - No room for error.

Noticed on the route sheet-Refreshments will NOT be provided at the Checkpoints!!  :-[

yes Lewes won according to their forum; not sure who got round in 3.15; I got round in 3.43 (had selected 4.15 so killed time in the pub) but that was with no punctures

odd, when I organised it back in 2005 it was a dead heat with the Rovers (although I think LWCC were already the holders back then. In Gear managed a big field but not enough to unseat the champs; despite apparently signing up anyone who happened to walk into the shop over the last few weeks)

no no food anywhere; a cup of tea at the start that was it...

a far cry from 2009 2008 and 2006 when El S manned the half way and finish  :P

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #89 on: 22 November, 2010, 09:09:35 pm »
169 a great number for a Reliability trial, sort of Numbers we need for AUK events down here!

Are reliability trials becoming more popular?  Total entries for the 3 distances of the KCA one in October and last year were both over 300. (Boosted by 90+ from one club)

Billy Weir

« Reply #90 on: 22 November, 2010, 09:46:25 pm »
How do you find out about local reliability rides?  I fancy giving one a go.

Martin

Reliability Trials in the SE
« Reply #91 on: 22 November, 2010, 09:52:36 pm »
How do you find out about local reliability rides?  I fancy giving one a go.

club websites mostly; the ESCA is organised (usually) by the club that holds the presidency for the year; anyone can enter but only Sussex clubs can win;

Horsham's was last weekend (Kidds Hill for £1; what's not to like?) Lewes' is usually end of January. Then there's the Hindhead one about the same time; a joint Crawley Wheelers / Horsham one. And the Dave Boorsma beginning of March. Bexley used to do one too.

Grandad

• Once upon a time
« Reply #92 on: 23 November, 2010, 12:14:40 am »
There is usually a series of 5 in Kent in Jan/Feb. The Catford has developed into the Hell of the Ashdown but the others are a bit more traditional  -100k, moderately hilly. (The real old ones were 100 miles).

CC Bexley start at Horton Kirby, 34 Nomads and Sydenham Wheelers start Knockholt area and VTTA Kent start at Bethersden.

Check the websites in case there have been any recent changes.

« Reply #93 on: 23 November, 2010, 05:52:32 pm »
[[/quote]

Are reliability trials becoming more popular?  Total entries for the 3 distances of the KCA one in October and last year were both over 300. (Boosted by 90+ from one club)
[/quote]

All the TT Chaps ride them this way. Think you can find out about them in the back of Cycling Weekly (quick look in supermarket, then buy local rag!)  :P

Hell of the Ashdown (oh no a sportiff) get's 1500 riders, is that at £25.00 with an electronic tag that you hand back at the finish. Usually it's sold out a long way back.

MJ

Billy Weir

« Reply #94 on: 12 December, 2010, 06:23:12 pm »
Just a quick note for those thinking of doing my Down to Downs permanent over the winter.

In general, the route appears to shed its snow quite well, but not perfectly.  Whilst the roads today were largely clear (or at least limited to snow on the verges) the road from Brasted to Green Street Green crusted with snow and slush with icemelt.  So consider starting in Uckfield well after sunrise (I started from Edenbridge at 10:45am).

Also, be conscious that the road into Edenbridge is currently in relatively poor repair.  It didn't benefit from the improvements that recently took place around Hartfield (which was nice and smooth).

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #95 on: 12 December, 2010, 06:34:37 pm »
Is there a 2011 list of events to be found?

Billy Weir

« Reply #96 on: 12 December, 2010, 09:21:52 pm »

Martin will no doubt be along to say yes or no.

Bear in mind that if it is published now, it won't contain all of the likely routes.  For example, I still have an idea to run a 200km route in September but I am humming and hawwing.  In part because I can't decide which route to put on and where to start it from.

Martin

« Reply #97 on: 13 December, 2010, 11:26:43 am »

haven't got all the dates yet but it's any of the events shown here (in roughly chronological order; the South Downs 100 is also running Jan 30th; think I'm washing the cat that day)

Plus the Down to Downs calendar event on Easter weekend; that will make a nice change after my Dutch trip.

http://www.egcc.net/display-items.asp?intTypeID=90&intItemID=417

Billy Weir

« Reply #98 on: 13 December, 2010, 12:58:34 pm »
Plus AAA Milne perm (100km).  Edenbridge - Forest Row - Mayfield - Langton Green - Uckfield - Edenbridge

This has been accepted by John Ward and Steve Snook has awarded 1.75AAA.

I will be accepting entries from 1 January for ride dates later in that month (given I want to do a final test ride of the route sheet).

I still plan to submit a 200km perm but can't settle on which is better:

a) Godstone - Hildenborough - Uckfield - Green Street Green - Mayfield - Godstone
b) Edenbridge - Eynsford - Hildenborough - Warlingham - Forest Row - Mayfield - Battle - Wadhurst - Edenbridge

Currently erring towards (b) - it is hillier and offers more variety when put alongside the two 100km perms - but any comments welcome.

Martin

« Reply #99 on: 13 December, 2010, 01:49:51 pm »
definite calendar dates so far are;

100  15 Jan 11  Hailsham    Hills and Mills
AA1.75  [1850m]
  100  30 Jan 11  Hailsham, E Sussex    The South Downs National Park 100
AA2  [2040m]  
  120  19 Feb 11  Hailsham    Mad Jack's- John Seviour Memorial
AA2.5  [2450m]
  100  13 Mar 11  Otford, Sevenoaks    Kent Invicta Grimpeur 100
AA1.75  [1700m]  
 110  25 Apr 11  Edenbridge    Down to Downs
   09:00  Mon  AA1.75  [1750m] (that didn't come up when I narrowed it down to the SE)
  100 1 May IOW Randonnee (only eligible as a DIY by GPS)
  110  21 Aug 11  Shere, Guildford    Tour of the Hills
AA2.25  [2300m]  
  100  25 Sep 11  Bredgar, Nr Sittingbourne    Hengist's Hills
AA1.75  [1750m]
  100  15 Oct 11  Chailey, East Sussex    Mid Sussex Hillier  
AA1.75  [1800m]
  100  15 Oct 11  Chailey, East Sussex    Mid Sussex Hilly  
AA1.5  [1600m]