Author Topic: Recommend some flat bars and grips  (Read 1793 times)

Recommend some flat bars and grips
« on: 29 October, 2016, 06:32:08 pm »
My daughter wants to try some flat bars on her Dawes.  I've already replaced the shifters (with Shimano EF-51)  since these pics were taken.

Any ideas for bars, and some good grips?

P1260678 by ao, on Flickr

P1260673 by ao, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Recommend some flat bars and grips
« Reply #1 on: 29 October, 2016, 06:38:43 pm »
Ergon grips (various flavours, depending on how much bar-end you need) are generally lovely for flat bars, but not particularly cheap.  Consider bars and bar-ends at the same time - a very swept-back bar can put bar-ends at a useless angle.

What's wrong with the butterfly bars?  Too wide?

« Reply #2 on: 29 October, 2016, 08:57:02 pm »
Flat bars with little or no riser are the ones that I have always favoured and having changed from standard grips to the Ergo grips I would never use any other type on flat-bars.
My personal choice has been Easton 5* but have always cut them down to 500mm as this is the optimum width to accommodate the Shimano flat-bar brake/gear levers and the lockable Ergo Grips.
I used the 'Lockable Type and avoided paying stupid money by buying them on E'bay from both UK importers and directly from the likes of :-- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HERRMANS-PRIM-ERGO-COMFORT-HANDLEBAR-GRIPS-120mm-RUBBER-GREY-BLACK-/401211756890?hash=item5d6a15915a:g:sfMAAOSwEK9UEXQu 
albeit these are not the lockable ones.

These are :-- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radial-Cycles-Ergo-Lock-on-Grips-BNWT-Ergonomic-comfort-easy-fit-/322192339680?var=&hash=item4b0428f2e0:m:maWC-PfooHwUvB8Dorc3uzA

The considered correct width of bars of any pattern is crucial to comfortable riding and it is generally accepted as being the width of ones shoulders. That is itself debatable as to whether it is shoulder bone to shoulder bone or flesh to flesh.
The reach of the stem is also an important factor for comfortable riding without undue stress on the shoulder joints and the back -especially in the lower back area.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #3 on: 29 October, 2016, 10:00:04 pm »
Ergon grips (various flavours, depending on how much bar-end you need) are generally lovely for flat bars, but not particularly cheap.  Consider bars and bar-ends at the same time - a very swept-back bar can put bar-ends at a useless angle.

What's wrong with the butterfly bars?  Too wide?
Another vote for the ergon bar ends. They really are very good.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #4 on: 30 October, 2016, 01:31:11 pm »
Thanks all.  Looks like Ergon grips then.  I suspect that most new flat bars are a wider diameter, than the clamp/stem on the Dawes will allow (26mm?), so choice is limited.  m'fraid to say mini ao can't quite get to grips with the butterfly bar's 'weirdness' factor...  Will keep them for as an option.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #5 on: 30 October, 2016, 01:59:44 pm »
Thanks all.  Looks like Ergon grips then.  I suspect that most new flat bars are a wider diameter, than the clamp/stem on the Dawes will allow (26mm?), so choice is limited.  m'fraid to say mini ao can't quite get to grips with the butterfly bar's 'weirdness' factor...  Will keep them for as an option.

Hi again Andy. Something that I overlooked mentioning when it comes to the 'Lockable' grips - it might be prudent to spray the inside of the grips with a squirt or two of hair lacquer as I found out the first time that I ever used them - they sometimes have a tendency to try to rotate and if one is a bit heavy handed with the Allen Key it can easily strip the somewhat fine thread of the two components.

I often wondered why ordinary grips did not move once fitted and left overnight - the answer was that they were eased on with a lubricant  that was often 'freely' available - the other halves hair lacquer.
Removal of the now tight fixed grips was carried out with a very fine longish screwdriver pushed under the grip and a squirt of WD40 -allowing it time to work its way around under the grip.
Once carried-out,the bars would be cleaned with a degreasing agent and would be ready for refitting again.
Your ears are your rear-end defenders,keep them free of clutter and possibly live longer.

« Reply #6 on: 30 October, 2016, 02:04:40 pm »
Renthal Fatbar