Author Topic: Can't find a ride on edge 705  (Read 1536 times)

Can't find a ride on edge 705
« on: 27 October, 2013, 06:51:58 pm »
Hi all.

Rode Dartmoor Devil today. Rained a lot but no issues. Saved ride at end. Went to upload to Strava, can't find the tcx file. It is showing on the history when I turn the device on, so it is somewhere.

Any ideas?

Re: Can't find a ride on edge 705
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2013, 08:42:12 am »
Since you haven't got anyone else offering possible ideas  :) I'd suggest it's got an index file but no real file.

Just why it would do that, no idea, but I've seen my 705 do some odd stuff over the years.

« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2013, 09:39:30 pm »
That will teach you to go riding with the Devil without paying homage to St Clare, patron saint of telecommunications and satellite broadcast.

« Reply #3 on: 13 November, 2013, 07:09:21 am »
Thanks for the replies.

I ended up registering on the Garmin forums, where a very helpful member managed to repair a royally corrupt file which managed to somehow (sub)merge itself into a historical ride in August.

So, I think it would be safe to say these devices aren't 100% waterproof...

« Reply #4 on: 13 November, 2013, 08:05:02 am »
The trick with a Garmin is to treat it like a small child. Only load onto it information for a ride on a ‘need to know’ basis.

Only the necessary maps for the route, as few Waypoints as possible and as few routes/Tracks as possible. Other than this, a completely clean memory.

Then it will have less opportunity to get confused.

When composing a suite of Routes or Tracks to ride an Audax or Sportive, build the Route or Track on a route planner and then get it on Mapsource or Basecamp as a .GDB or whatever Basecamp uses.
Clear the unit of all past Maps, Waypoints, Routes, Tracks and saved Data.

Load onto the unit the relevant Map tiles, Waypoints, Routes or Tracks necessary to complete the event.

Having the units memory full or unnecessary ‘Junk’ is inviting Calamity, which seemed to be Garmin’s riding partner.
Just like the feeble human brain, it is full of unnecessary ‘Junk’ ( Football, Pop music, Eastenders etc ) which leads to confusion.

« Reply #5 on: 13 November, 2013, 11:03:47 am »
I agree and have learnt my lesson.

I did hear a rumour the SD slot cover on the 705 does not provide water protection, which is bizarre.

« Reply #6 on: 13 November, 2013, 11:56:24 am »
I agree and have learnt my lesson.

I did hear a rumour the SD slot cover on the 705 does not provide water protection, which is bizarre.

It provides a suitable ammount of water sealing if smeared with Vaseline.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 14 November, 2013, 08:40:07 am »
The trick with a Garmin is to treat it like a small child. Only load onto it information for a ride on a ‘need to know’ basis.

That is remarkably good advice.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #8 on: 14 November, 2013, 10:29:58 am »
I grew up in the age when computer software was written by self and stored on punched 1 ¼” paper tape. One programme only at a time was loaded from tape reader with every switch on.

When I bought my first Garmin and switched it on to see a very basic map with no sideroads at all, I went hunting in the carton for a big roll of paper tape  ;)

From that moment, my mindset was “This is a very simple system which requires the due care of the Olivetti I had in the seventies.”

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #9 on: 15 November, 2013, 11:40:42 pm »
Well when I grew up 'computer' and 'software' weren't dictionary words.  ;)

I don't think it's entirely fair to call it a 'very simple system' though.  The Chad Valley device on the handlebars is just that, yes, but - a system which compensates for two completely separate errors caused by the effects of relativity, and also compensates for the unpredictable errors caused by solar winds, and those caused by earthquakes, and which uses several synchronised atomic clocks and the speed of light to determine which side of the road you're riding on - er, no.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll