Author Topic: A random thread for sport things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 126469 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
One of my wife's running friends just finished a 500-km race across Tennessee, running over 50k / day.  She's 66.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

It's taken a long time but it's finally happened. Sort of.

East Fife 4 Forfar 5

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44916496
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
I find it incredible that Eric Morecambe has been dead for 34 years. I'd have said about 10, 15 at the most.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Ms Marco & her England Women's Open team-mates retained their European Touch title at the weekend, to much relief from watching supporters. BBC live streamed this championship, so getting more recognition. Some stunning touch played; Scotland's mixed open side was superb.

England-Wales in pool stages: 11-2
England-Wales in final: 3-2
England supporters' need for a large beer after that: great.  ;D

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I find it incredible that Eric Morecambe has been dead for 34 years. I'd have said about 10, 15 at the most.

I would have guessed at Eric Morecambe's death being much more recent than Tommy Cooper's but they actually popped off within a few weeks of each other.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I associate them both with my grandparents' generation.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer

I would have guessed at Eric Morecambe's death being much more recent than Tommy Cooper's but they actually popped off within a few weeks of each other.

IIRC both of them drew applause from the audience until they realized what was happening.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

Congratulations to Forest Green Rovers on becoming the world's first football club to be certified carbon neutral by the UN!

Last season they were pretty well points neutral, too.  Hoping for better things this time!

Edit:  Thus far they are that rare beast - a club that is relegation neutral!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.

It seems very much like 34 years to me.  He's a childhood/early teen memory for me.....and I haven't been either for some time.

He's also one of those memories I feel is best not revisited. I doubt the M&W Show will have dated well but the memory of it leaves a warm glow.

I find it incredible that I am older than Captain Mainwaring!!  Arthur Lowe was 53 when he first played the role.

Godfrey (Arnold Ridley) was 72...so anyone out there 72 and above is now older than Private Godfrey.

I am the same age as Sergeant Wilson (John le Mesurier) at 56.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Yesterday when I returned to my accommodation at Agnes Blackadder Hall there was a large number of extremely well-built athletic looking blokes coming the other way all dressed in identical shorts and tops - I reckon about 100 of them. It was some sort of rugby summer school from Edinburgh.

At breakfast this morning, there wasn't a great deal of the first helping left. One of the rugby players was nearby. "Harrumph!" I harrumphed. "It looks as though a rugby team as been getting at this lot!" He thought that was quite amusing.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
End of the cricket season  here.
Llandysul  1sts. 2 wins in the last two weeks saves them  from relegation, so a second year in South Wales Div 1
Llandysul  2nds.  Top their division and are promoted to South Wales Div 5 (West)

A good year.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Blimey Andrij the Browns are 1-1-1 having bcome back from 14-0 against the Jets.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Blimey Andrij the Browns are 1-1-1 having bcome back from 14-0 against the Jets.

I'm on that side of the pond, and was able to watch the game.  :)  The first half was forgettable, the second - incredible!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

I'm on that side of the pond, and was able to watch the game.  :)  The first half was forgettable, the second - incredible!

And so they reverted to type yesterday. Though I must say that leading during the fourth quarter and only loosing in over time is even more cruel in the added hope that is cast into the pit of despair.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
I watched to the bitter end.  I'm actually starting to develop a bit of hope they won't be utterly crappe this season.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ElyDave

Skateboarding, sport or not?

Apparently it will be in the next 'lympics,

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Like snowboarding but generally warmer. With more abrasion injuries...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

ElyDave

I can see the evolution skiing to snowboarding, but to skateboaring?

Cudzoziemiec

For skateboarding, start with roller skating not skiing! If there are rules and an element of competition, both of which should be pretty easy to organise for skateboarding, then it's a sport. If you want to get classical, then it satisfies the first of citius, altitus, fortius. The list of sports that have been introduced to the Olympics then dropped is quite long, I'm not going to speculate if or when skateboarding will join it.

ElyDave

For skateboarding, start with roller skating not skiing! If there are rules and an element of competition, both of which should be pretty easy to organise for skateboarding, then it's a sport. If you want to get classical, then it satisfies the first of citius, altitus, fortius. The list of sports that have been introduced to the Olympics then dropped is quite long, I'm not going to speculate if or when skateboarding will join it.
Tiddliwinks?
Darts?
Snooker?

sports?

Cudzoziemiec

I thought the classic one was chess?  ;D Okay, rules, competition and some sort of physical exertion.

Cudzoziemiec

Motor boat racing?
Since the first modern Olympic Games in 1896, as many as twelve sports have disappeared completely from the schedule. These are croquet, cricket, Jeu de Paume, pelota, polo, roque, rackets, tug-of-war, lacrosse, baseball, softball, and motor boating. The Winter Olympics also has a few sports and events that have been discontinued.
https://www.topendsports.com/events/discontinued/