Author Topic: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers  (Read 80333 times)

Re: TdF 2011 general discussion thread - likely to contain spoilers
« Reply #125 on: 10 July, 2011, 04:01:15 pm »
They both fell very hard, particularly Hoogerland.

« Reply #126 on: 10 July, 2011, 04:02:26 pm »
Both now back up and riding! :thumbsup:

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #127 on: 10 July, 2011, 04:11:42 pm »
Holy fuck! Did you see that! FFS!
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

citoyen

« Reply #128 on: 10 July, 2011, 04:13:50 pm »
Hoogerland on his bike but suffering, and bleeding heavily. Would be surprised if he finishes the stage. :(

d.

« Reply #129 on: 10 July, 2011, 04:16:47 pm »
They both fell very hard, particularly Hoogerland.

That was unbelievable. The car was avoiding a tree, apparently, although I couldn't see any reason for such an abrupt change of course. Didn't stop either.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #130 on: 10 July, 2011, 04:39:05 pm »
Yeah, those trees that sprout up unexpectedly in the middle of the road are a real hazard.  ::-) That's the end of the Tour for that driver.

Both Hoogerland and Flecha have dropped off the peloton, but according to Harmon there's an autobus behind them anyway. Even if they missed the cut-off time by half an hour, there's no way they'd be eliminated after that.

citoyen

« Reply #131 on: 10 July, 2011, 05:18:16 pm »
Flecha and Hoogerland finished over 16mins behind the stage winner (still well ahead of the bus) and have been jointly awarded the combativity prize.  :thumbsup:

And Hoogerland is KoM - hope he gets the chance to wear it on the road.

d.

gonzo

« Reply #132 on: 10 July, 2011, 05:21:23 pm »
I note that Flecha ride hard to the intermediate sprint point then slowed significantly. As Sky haven't got any riders in for green, I wonder if they weren't doing it for future team mate Cav?

« Reply #133 on: 10 July, 2011, 05:23:54 pm »
Hoogerland tearful and dejected on the podium in KoM jersey.

« Reply #134 on: 10 July, 2011, 06:26:18 pm »
:o

The French TV car just took out the lead riders in the breakaway.

Looking at it again I can see that he had no option but to hit the tree or move over and hit the riders - it was just stupid piece of driving that left him with nowhere to go.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #135 on: 10 July, 2011, 06:34:01 pm »
Apart from the option of braking (which would have put the following motorcycles in the ditch but so what). 

I still think that tree wasn't anything like as in the way as it looked.  I think he got spooked by its shadow.

Either way: bloody asshat. :demon:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #136 on: 10 July, 2011, 06:40:01 pm »
How long before it's on YouTube?

gonzo

« Reply #137 on: 10 July, 2011, 06:43:29 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/f3nj3Om59nU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/f3nj3Om59nU&rel=1</a>

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #138 on: 10 July, 2011, 07:58:25 pm »
Looking back at it now on ITV4, Voeckler was damn lucky not to be taken out as well.

Unbelievably dignified and forgiving (brief) interview by Johnny Hoogerland as well. Respect to that man.

« Reply #139 on: 10 July, 2011, 08:11:58 pm »
Christian Prudomme looked very angry in an interview at the finish. He said two crashed caused by the media was completely unacceptable. They are looking into it and I expect there will be some kind of announcement tomorrow, Maybe it's time to ban the media cars. The motorbikes are fine for TV coverage and much less likely to get in the way.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #140 on: 10 July, 2011, 08:17:28 pm »
I'm astonished that Vino wasn't brought up out of the trees on a back board. They had no idea what he'd done at the time and it amazes me that riders are just picked up and carried up out of crashes that could have resulted in severe injuries!

Re: the Contador "incident", it looks so much like a push (from Gusev according to the You Tube comments) from one of the Radio Shack riders.

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #141 on: 10 July, 2011, 08:37:41 pm »
According to Riis, Bertie's handlebars got caught in Karpetts' saddle somehow.

If it was the other way round, you could have said "it's curtains for Karpetts".  :D

« Reply #142 on: 10 July, 2011, 08:44:37 pm »
Hoogerland has 33 stitches, 11 in his buttocks, 11 near his knee, and 11 in his calf.
The stitches in his knee are very close to a tendon. He hopes these stitches will not cause him to DNS in the next stage.
His pants were completely ripped off. Maybe that's the reason there was no TV coverage of him getting out of the barbed wire.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #143 on: 10 July, 2011, 08:54:10 pm »
Hoogerland has 33 stitches, 11 in his buttocks, 11 near his knee, and 11 in his calf.
The stitches in his knee are very close to a tendon. He hopes these stitches will not cause him to DNS in the next stage.
His pants were completely ripped off. Maybe that's the reason there was no TV coverage of him getting out of the barbed wire.

A not very nice picture, but shows his injuries. Ouch

Tour De France 2011: Johnny Hoogerland (Vacansoleil-DCM) Extracts Himself From..., Photos | Cyclingnews.com

« Reply #144 on: 10 July, 2011, 08:59:39 pm »
Omfg poor bastard  :o

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #145 on: 10 July, 2011, 09:03:56 pm »

I've had a low-level paranoid fear of this for a while... touch a wheel on a clubrun, hit the tarmac and have to ride 25 miles home with no shorts.  :-[

« Reply #146 on: 10 July, 2011, 09:19:36 pm »

A not very nice picture, but shows his injuries. Ouch

Tour De France 2011: Johnny Hoogerland (Vacansoleil-DCM) Extracts Himself From..., Photos | Cyclingnews.com

This is a scary one too Awful photograph of Johnny Hoogerland in the fence.  They hav... on Twitpic (nfsw-ish)
Nicely put his front wheel around the pole of the fence. Don't try this at home!
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #147 on: 10 July, 2011, 09:25:38 pm »
Why arnt they talking about prosecuting the driver ,never mind sending him home??

« Reply #148 on: 10 July, 2011, 09:35:04 pm »
OMG! The ITV4 commentator said he was lucky to have landed on the wire not a fencepost, but when they showed the replay it was obvious that he took a post down with him! And to add insult to serious injury, there are now photos of his pasty white arse all over the internet :o

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #149 on: 10 July, 2011, 10:09:43 pm »
He looks like a torture victim :o