Author Topic: Three New Permanents in Alba  (Read 4383 times)

Graeme Wyllie

Three New Permanents in Alba
« on: 16 October, 2009, 02:28:42 pm »
A shameless plug for my three new perms in Scotland.

1.  The Half Light 300k.   Figure of 8 : Ballachulish - Bridge of Orchy - Dunbeg - Ballachulish - Acharacle - Fort William - Ballachulish

2.  The Port Navigation 211k.  Oban/Craignure (ferry) - Pennyghael - Fishnish/Lochaline (ferry) - Kinlochleven - Oban.  Run as a calendar event in 2009.

3.  Sister event of 2. above, the Fort Navigation 212k.  Oban/Craignure (ferry) - Pennyghael - Fishnish/Lochaline (ferry) - Fort William - Oban.

G. 

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
Re: Three New Permanents in Alba
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2009, 04:59:02 pm »
Some good work there Mr Lee G.  Now we just need to organise a YACF outing up there some time next year :)

« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2009, 06:20:17 pm »
The Port Navigation 211k.  Oban/Craignure (ferry) - Pennyghael - Fishnish/Lochaline (ferry) - Kinlochleven - Oban.  Run as a calendar event in 2009.

The best ride of my 2009 AUK season, by far and the best 200K of my AUK career  :) When is the next time it will be run as a calendar event?

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #3 on: 21 October, 2009, 03:33:04 pm »
The Port Navigation 211k.  Oban/Craignure (ferry) - Pennyghael - Fishnish/Lochaline (ferry) - Kinlochleven - Oban.  Run as a calendar event in 2009.

The best ride of my 2009 AUK season, by far and the best 200K of my AUK career  :) When is the next time it will be run as a calendar event?

Definitely not 2010 and unlikely to run just the 200k in 2011 for various PBP related reasns. 

However, if theres a shortage of qualifying 300s in scotland in 2011 I'd put on a 300k in April/May 2011 which starts at Craignure (brevet cards dished out on the ferry from Oban) - Pennyghael - Fishnish/Lochaline (ferry) - Strontian - Lochailort - Kinlochleven - Oban. 

Depends on what other 300s are going to happen in Scotland in 2011.

G

« Reply #4 on: 21 October, 2009, 05:24:12 pm »
Mercury Kev has a good idea there  :thumbsup:-
Glen Coe Hostel perhaps! 

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #5 on: 21 October, 2009, 09:14:56 pm »
Glen Coe Hostel perhaps! 

I'd certainly be up for it.

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #6 on: 22 October, 2009, 09:43:53 am »
Snow Roads: 4 June 2011
Don't know how that relates to PBP qualifying dates, though.

G, are we allowed to do yours next year as a group perm (with added Magners)?  ;)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #7 on: 22 October, 2009, 11:46:48 am »

+1  ;D

Shameless plug of the photies (again) and the Quarter Light 150

for inspiration

« Reply #8 on: 23 October, 2009, 10:04:13 am »
ah - 200s!

something within my capabilities - only the family calendar to wrestle with, but perms at least offer hope of doing them one day!

thanks

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #9 on: 23 October, 2009, 04:39:20 pm »
Snow Roads: 4 June 2011
Don't know how that relates to PBP qualifying dates, though.

G, are we allowed to do yours next year as a group perm (with added Magners)?  ;)

Yes that would be an idea.  I might even have brevet cards by then.  ;)

Assuming its the Port Nav 200 you have in mind, Oban would be the most obvious base.  A Glencoe start would work best as a DIY with a control at Ballachulish, the birthplace of the magners/sing song combination.       

Maybe Easter weekend depending on how many (if any) are planning on an Easter Arrow in 2010.  Easter is such an odd one, no calendar events of course given arrows, but there aint very much for those who arent interested in ever doing a york arrow or those of us who have, but remain scarred from the experience.

BTW I rode the Fort William version of the 200 yesterday as a DIY and it didnt disappoint.  Amazing to think that I was sunbathing in Lochaline in October when there was such terrible weather over on the East of the country.  I can confirm that "Happy Harry" is still upholding the finest traditions of Highland hospitality at his cafe at Fishnish.

If a 200 is too much there is always the option of a more leisurely ride of about 140k by simply taking the direct route from Craignure to Fishnish.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #10 on: 23 October, 2009, 06:43:20 pm »
A Glencoe start would work best as a DIY with a control at Ballachulish, the birthplace of the magners/sing song combination.       

Glen Coe Hostel perhaps! 
I suspect otherdave will favour a Glencoe départ in hopes of a repeat encounter with the two Dutch lady time trial riders we met in the summer.  :-X

Maybe Easter weekend depending on how many (if any) are planning on an Easter Arrow in 2010.  Easter is such an odd one, no calendar events of course given arrows, but there aint very much for those who arent interested in ever doing a york arrow or those of us who have, but remain scarred from the experience.
My plans for a 2010 Easter Arrrow are as follows:  :hand: (You probably don't know this, but I once had to borrow a spare jersey on an Easter Arrow). So, aye maybe round that time would be good. And, never having had the pleasure, I can't wait to enjoy the fine dining experience at Fishnish.

« Reply #11 on: 23 October, 2009, 11:40:38 pm »
The Fishnish Pish Dish as Gary Biggar famously named it ! ;D

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #12 on: 24 October, 2009, 01:14:14 am »
So, aye maybe round that time would be good. And, never having had the pleasure, I can't wait to enjoy the fine dining experience at Fishnish.

On the Port Navigation Light I never got to experience the fine dining either, as someone had the great idea to go for a 3 course sit down meal in Salen!  When we had a ferry to catch!  Nevertheless, what is audax if you don't do it in style.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #13 on: 24 October, 2009, 11:08:44 am »
Glen Coe Hostel perhaps! 
I suspect otherdave will favour a Glencoe départ in hopes of a repeat encounter with the two Dutch lady time trial riders we met in the summer.  :-X

And maybe a diversion to a secret control in Glenfinnan?

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #14 on: 24 October, 2009, 11:11:29 am »
Glen Coe Hostel perhaps! 

And maybe a diversion to a secret control in Glenfinnan?
Yes please!  ;D

recumbentim

• Only 6 SR,s No hyper yet
« Reply #15 on: 24 October, 2009, 08:53:24 pm »
Need to do these next year as I was not there this year. According to  my points thingy.
Must have been somebody else drinking Stella outside the Coop In Kinlochleven .
Thanks to the organiser for trying to get my card verified.Good effort .

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #16 on: 24 October, 2009, 09:29:40 pm »
I was not there this year. According to  my points thingy.

Dont worry, that will be sorted by the end of October.  :)

« Reply #17 on: 24 October, 2009, 10:20:12 pm »
On the Port Navigation Light I never got to experience the fine dining either, as someone had the great idea to go for a 3 course sit down meal in Salen!  When we had a ferry to catch!

You would have had plenty time for a cuppie at Fishnish, as the ferry clearly wasn't going to leave before I got there  :)
Also would be up for a Glencoe Hostel Weekend in 2010  :thumbsup:

Graeme Wyllie

« Reply #18 on: 25 October, 2009, 09:32:25 pm »
OK.  Je propose -

Easter 2010, for those of us sufficiently lily livered not to be heading Yorkwards. 

Saturday (3 April?) - The Glencoe Gourmet.  200k losely based on the Port Navigation 200k starting from Ballachulish / Glencoe Village.

Followed by dinner, mirth and merriment at a location in the same area.   

Sunday - The Heathens Hurl.  An informal event based on the 24 hour time trial : as many times round Loch Leven as your young and healthy body can manage.  Binary results only are valid.   

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #19 on: 25 October, 2009, 09:39:28 pm »
Genius, min, genius.  :thumbsup:

"Heathens Hurl", eh? Will that be "hurl" as in "speaking tae Hughie on the big white telephone"?  :sick:

« Reply #20 on: 26 October, 2009, 08:00:54 pm »
Are The English allowed to head North for this?

alanmc's photos make this ride look Gorgeous irresistable.

Presumably sunshine is guaranteed?

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #21 on: 26 October, 2009, 09:25:42 pm »
OK.  Je propose -

Easter 2010, for those of us sufficiently lily livered not to be heading Yorkwards. 

Saturday (3 April?) - The Glencoe Gourmet.  200k losely based on the Port Navigation 200k starting from Ballachulish / Glencoe Village.

Followed by dinner, mirth and merriment at a location in the same area.   

Sunday - The Heathens Hurl.  An informal event based on the 24 hour time trial : as many times round Loch Leven as your young and healthy body can manage.  Binary results only are valid.   

I'd certainly be up for it.

Are The English allowed to head North for this?

alanmc's photos make this ride look Gorgeous irresistable.

Presumably sunshine is guaranteed?

We're a welcoming bunch up here although April on the West coast isn't known for its sunny properties.  On the plus side no midgies.

« Reply #22 on: 26 October, 2009, 09:34:48 pm »
although April on the West coast isn't known for its sunny properties.  On the plus side no midgies.

I have just remembered teenaged camping somewhere near Glencoe at Eastertime... waking up to the snow...

Although the sun did shine...   :)