Author Topic: The Dean  (Read 100980 times)

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
Re: The Dean
« Reply #225 on: 16 March, 2018, 12:39:28 pm »
Hello folks
We will be there handing out brevets as advised up-thread.  I was planning on riding with club mates but we have also decided to DNS.  Our reliability check 2-years ago ended at about -2 and it was deadly.  Conditions this time are predicted to far worse.

As always, normal Audax rules apply about attempting this ride and if you do ride please consider the possibility of being stranded.

best,
Jonah X

« Reply #226 on: 16 March, 2018, 12:47:32 pm »
Yeah, this could turn out to be a heroic ride... or a zero finishers one... look forward to hearing the reports from the "survivors".
or zero starters :o
How much can a koala bear?

« Reply #227 on: 16 March, 2018, 01:34:44 pm »
Mmmmm.  :-\

Serious second thoughts, I suppose I could try on three wheels, but not sure if I’m ready for 300km on the trike.

John

« Reply #228 on: 16 March, 2018, 01:42:54 pm »
Hello folks
We will be there handing out brevets as advised up-thread.  I was planning on riding with club mates but we have also decided to DNS.  Our reliability check 2-years ago ended at about -2 and it was deadly.  Conditions this time are predicted to far worse.

As always, normal Audax rules apply about attempting this ride and if you do ride please consider the possibility of being stranded.

best,
Jonah X

I see that other events have announced that Audax Rules allow riders to ride the route as a Perm within 30 days when there is extreme weather, so long as riders pick up their Brevet Card at the start (Gently Bentley, Occasionally Hilly, Mad March Exeter Excursion for example). Is this option available for The Dean?

« Reply #229 on: 16 March, 2018, 06:59:47 pm »
Already at the Travelodge so will pick up the brevet card in the morning. As ever, I'll be assessing conditions on the ground as I go along. Remember that just because you started riding, you don't have to finish.

I've also scoped a lot of alternatives to the roads less likely to be treated. Mind you, many of those and its already a clear indication that its time to bail out and head for home.

If anyone else is about, we'll be in the Holiday Inn for dinner in a bit.

Jonah, there's a beer with your name on it if you're about.

« Reply #230 on: 16 March, 2018, 07:12:47 pm »
Decided to DNS.  :-\

I like cycling, I don't like pneumonia.

Seriously good luck to those hardier than I. Go safe.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #231 on: 16 March, 2018, 07:13:34 pm »
On previous form, I was expecting a rash of announcements regarding Travelodge rooms going spare by now! :D

j_a_m_e_s_

• Prisoner 17091
    • AUK results
« Reply #232 on: 16 March, 2018, 07:54:53 pm »
Yeah, this could turn out to be a heroic ride... or a zero finishers one... look forward to hearing the reports from the "survivors".

After my DNF after 195km ish on AWE on 27/02 in the snow, I must finish.

Can't start a DNFRTY now, can I?
Rule 77

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #233 on: 16 March, 2018, 07:59:10 pm »
On previous form, I was expecting a rash of announcements regarding Travelodge rooms going spare by now! :D
Perhaps they know how low the market value is now??

[but seriously, I feel for anyone booked onto this ride that has spent money. The forecast is particularly irritating - it's not *quiet* bad enough that i wouldn't consider riding, but I won't be at all surprised if the reality turns out very grim :( ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #234 on: 16 March, 2018, 08:04:08 pm »
There's worse places to be stuck unable to ride. At least this isn't Alfreton.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #235 on: 16 March, 2018, 08:08:57 pm »
The key thing is the wind... the forecast I looked at half an hour ago shows a mad strong easterly from 12-4pm Sat but it calms down after that to more normal levels. I generally get to Chepstow around 2-3pm, and its fairly sheltered up to the Monument, so hopefully I'll miss most of that. Crossing the Severn Bridge will be interesting though. #BraveFace

Can't start a DNFRTY now, can I?

Pack early, pack often! :D

« Reply #236 on: 16 March, 2018, 09:59:21 pm »
The 2013 snow on the Dean wasn’t too bad in the end.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #237 on: 16 March, 2018, 10:30:24 pm »
DNS from me, more fitness issues than weather.  good luck to any that choose to ride, stay safe out there :thumbsup:

« Reply #238 on: 16 March, 2018, 10:34:56 pm »
another DNS here.   Took a lot of thinking about and will probably regret it.  Good luck to all who give it a go.
How much can a koala bear?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #239 on: 17 March, 2018, 10:42:26 am »
doesn't look too bad snow wise... here in the midlands with a yellow warning we have seen a few flurries, nothing that sticks on the roads. Windchill is brutal though... wouldn't want to have that in the face

« Reply #240 on: 17 March, 2018, 10:46:03 am »
The 2013 snow on the Dean wasn’t too bad in the end.
I don't seem to recall you using those exact words in your ride report at the time ... ;D

« Reply #241 on: 17 March, 2018, 12:19:37 pm »
Well I tried, on the trike.

I was going to slow, beard was frozen and we hadn’t even got to any headwind bits. Aborted after about 70km. Taking the pretty way back. Currently thawing out in Letchford.

Good luck all who are fighting on!

John

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #242 on: 17 March, 2018, 12:41:22 pm »
So I started the Dean this morning with about 10-15 others. Bit of snow on the way the Stow and a pronounced tailwind. Temps around 1-2 degreess. Personally, I don't have the head to slog out that headwind on a flatbar single speed today. And given it will probably snow around dusk I'm now on the train home from Chepstow.  90 miles today is just fine. Know which fights to pick. This would have left me battered if I'd continued. All my best to those still out there.
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #243 on: 17 March, 2018, 01:15:38 pm »
Hello folks

Good effort to those 26 (out of 89) brave souls who left the Peatree services just as the snow started this morning.

We’re now down to 24 still going.  The wind chill outside the Travel Lodge Hotel was biting.  My hands went red and yellow from carrying the brevets to the start.

Great to meet a fair rew fixed-wheel riders too.

We at Castle ACH continue in our pride to be able to host such a cracking ride and I for one admire the True Spirit of Audax in each and every rider who crept out into this worsening winter maelstrom.

Jonah X

« Reply #244 on: 17 March, 2018, 01:33:40 pm »
Proper spirit of Audax!

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #245 on: 17 March, 2018, 02:02:07 pm »
Unfortunately, we have 2-more hero’s out of the game.
Keep pedlin’ the rest of you.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #246 on: 17 March, 2018, 03:21:24 pm »
Hello folks

Good effort to those 26 (out of 89) brave souls who left the Peatree services just as the snow started this morning.

We’re now down to 24 still going.  The wind chill outside the Travel Lodge Hotel was biting.  My hands went red and yellow from carrying the brevets to the start.

Great to meet a fair rew fixed-wheel riders too.

We at Castle ACH continue in our pride to be able to host such a cracking ride and I for one admire the True Spirit of Audax in each and every rider who crept out into this worsening winter maelstrom.

Jonah X

2 Friends Andy and Nick are battling on, riding hard to keep warm, at Wooton bassett right now. Tracking available so you can get the beers ready. https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=180475aab8c6c551cf

Jonah

• Audax Club Hackney
« Reply #247 on: 17 March, 2018, 04:11:02 pm »
Excellent!

(To confirm: this years event is X-Rated - postal finish only)

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #248 on: 17 March, 2018, 05:25:36 pm »
just been briefly outside - heroic effort anyone who dared to go out to spend the whole day on a bike - so cold!!!...

« Reply #249 on: 17 March, 2018, 05:52:49 pm »
DNS here. Think I made the right choice. Claps to those still cycling.
I dunno why anybody's doing this!