Author Topic: Bryan Chapman 2012  (Read 97211 times)

AndyH

Re: Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #25 on: 03 February, 2012, 08:53:09 pm »
My last one this year, all things pass.
That's a great shame, I have only ridden it once, but it goes down as one of my best Audax experiences, so many thanks for the great event you provided.

Do you consider yourself as a custodian or the owner of the event Mark? To put it another way are you hoping that someone else takes it over?

The ACP Brevet 5000 is one of this year's aims for me, which didn't need to include include a BRM SR. However seeing the thread about the ACP 10000 award made me think that it would be worth having a BRM SR + Mille Alba. I'd struggled to see how I could fit it in, but the BCM was always a possible. I think you've decided it for me, Entry will be in the post tomorrow

« Reply #26 on: 03 February, 2012, 09:50:34 pm »
Do you consider yourself as a custodian or the owner of the event Mark? To put it another way are you hoping that someone else takes it over?

All organisers are custodians - this is something I've always maintained. And any organiser worth their salt would agree.

History shows that anyone that dogmaticly holds onto something, ultimately kills that something.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

AndyH

« Reply #27 on: 03 February, 2012, 09:58:48 pm »

All organisers are custodians - this is something I've always maintained. And any organiser worth their salt would agree.

History shows that anyone that dogmaticly holds onto something, ultimately kills that something.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #28 on: 03 February, 2012, 10:08:08 pm »
My first so no personal experience, but there is certainly something legendary about this ride and I'm looking forward to it.

By the way, who was Bryan Chapman?

BC, I am told, was a legendary ride organiser in the 70s. His widow has been known to man controls on other Audax events such as the KSW.

If you're interested, my account of last year's ride - my second attempt and first finish is here (scroll past the intro and the Hailsham 400): http://www.justgiving.com/Rob-McIvor5

And I, too, apologise for the mis-spelling. I will correct that once I have remembered my password to the site!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #29 on: 03 February, 2012, 10:18:09 pm »

If you're interested, my account of last year's ride - my second attempt and first finish is here (scroll past the intro and the Hailsham 400): http://www.justgiving.com/Rob-McIvor5

:thumbsup:
Mojo is being awakened.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #30 on: 04 February, 2012, 07:12:31 pm »
After three years off the Bryan Chapman Memorial, will be back to do this one, have just printed off the entry form.   Sad to hear that it will be Mark's last; he's done a fantastic job.

2006 was the hardest edition I did; headwinds both ways and more types of rain that the Welsh language has words for.  2008, from memory, was sunny and gentle.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

Mike Conway

• Wheel builder and general bike rider
    • 23mm-wheels
« Reply #31 on: 04 February, 2012, 09:59:41 pm »
I knew I was forgetting something - entry printed - posting with cheque on Monday.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #32 on: 04 February, 2012, 10:02:38 pm »
jolly ol' crowd! :thumbsup:

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #33 on: 05 February, 2012, 12:55:11 pm »
I will miss this event as I am cycling on a training weekend based in Clun. Don't ask I know the BCM is good training but the people involved are not Audax types. I want to ride through the Elan Valley on the Saturday and may see some of you there. Now the reason for the post.

Where are the second controls? I am looking for food stops at the west end of the Elan Valley and I know that since the last time I road the cafe that was used has shut.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #34 on: 05 February, 2012, 01:09:07 pm »
Where are the second controls? I am looking for food stops at the west end of the Elan Valley and I know that since the last time I road the cafe that was used has shut.
BB

Clettwr Cafe at Tre'r Ddol now defunct  :'( .

There's the Nant-y-Arian Visitor centre, it on the A44 at it's watershed, visited on the Classic

And there's 'The Woodlands Tearoom, on the A4120 at Devil's Bridge, used on the Scenic.

where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #35 on: 19 February, 2012, 08:40:05 pm »
Entry form and cheque in the post today  :thumbsup:

I'm hoping the climbing on this ride is similar to the hills I'm used to in Norfolk.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #36 on: 19 February, 2012, 08:45:35 pm »

I'm hoping the climbing on this ride is similar to the hills I'm used to in Norfolk.

Yeah, it's similar.  There's just a little bit more enjoyment.  And there are less turkeys and more sheep

« Reply #37 on: 20 February, 2012, 12:31:14 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance Vorsprung!

For future reference, I have booked a family room at the Travelodge should anyone else want to share and help keep the cost down.

« Reply #38 on: 20 February, 2012, 01:00:50 pm »

I'm hoping the climbing on this ride is not similar to the hills I'm used to in Cambridgeshire, or I shall be seriously pissed.

More sensibly, I'm vaguely planning on driving from near Cambridge.  Anybody care to share petrol (or a lift)?

« Reply #39 on: 20 February, 2012, 07:25:19 pm »
I've sent in my entry now also. This could be the final ride of Simonp and my tandem SR!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #40 on: 20 February, 2012, 07:27:54 pm »
I have no intention of riding this, ever, but I like reading the ride reports.  It always sounds far worse than PBP.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #41 on: 20 February, 2012, 08:13:45 pm »
i'd say bryan chapman = 0.7pbp and without sleep deprivation. about right?..

« Reply #42 on: 20 February, 2012, 08:36:48 pm »
I have no intention of riding this, ever, but I like reading the ride reports.  It always sounds far worse than PBP.

You should do, it's really not that hard in itself and it is great fun.  It is the weather that can make it tough. If you can do your through the night FnttS things I'm sure you can do this.

simonp

« Reply #43 on: 21 February, 2012, 02:35:30 pm »
My SR series entries are all in too:

Dean 300, Easter Arrow (form sent to team captain anyway), Brevet Cymru, Bryan Chapman.  That lot should be just about enough to get a Brevet 25,000. :)

I'm also entered into the Up the Uts 200k as extra training before The Dean, but I'm not sure I'll be able to start.

« Reply #44 on: 21 February, 2012, 03:49:54 pm »
OH has mailed our entries.
Don't think either of us will get a 400 in before it, but should manage a 300, maybe two.

Definitely make or break on our first SR attempt because not that easy to organise childcare for a whole weekend. 

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
Re: Re: Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #45 on: 21 February, 2012, 07:10:34 pm »

Yeah, it's similar.  There's just a little bit more enjoyment.  And there are
fewer turkeys and more sheep.

Re: Re: Bryan Chapman 2012
« Reply #46 on: 21 February, 2012, 08:02:14 pm »

Yeah, it's similar.  There's just a little bit more enjoyment.  And there are
fewer turkeys and more sheep.
Deja vu? or have we been here before?

AndyH

« Reply #47 on: 21 February, 2012, 08:06:43 pm »
I can see I'm going to spend 619k turkey spotting. Which is probably better than counting sheep!

You should do, it's really not that hard in itself and it is great fun.  It is the weather that can make it tough. If you can do your through the night FnttS things I'm sure you can do this.
+1. Looking back on last year I'm not sure which felt better, the BCM or PBP. Probably the BCM.

LEE

« Reply #48 on: 21 February, 2012, 08:29:18 pm »

It's the weather that can make BCM tough and the sleep deprivation that can make PBP tough (in my limited experience) although I found the relentless rolling sections of PBP more energy sapping than anything on BCM.

Apart from the circus/support aspects of PBP nothing about it comes close to the first 300km of BCM, that first day, 2010 in particular, ranks as my best day's cycling ever.  Climbing Pen-Y-Pass in the setting sun will take some beating.  Certainly those long French roads don't ever come close.

To anyone doing it for the first time - As you are approaching Pen-Y-Pass in the dark then yes, those are bicycle rear-lights in the sky, it's not an aircraft, and yes, someone about an hour behind you will be wondering the same thing about your rear lights.

Simonb

« Reply #49 on: 21 February, 2012, 08:42:47 pm »
Entry in the post.

Sorry to hear it'll be your last one Mark -- you've made a smashing job of it!