Author Topic: Is this a mount point for Pannier rack?  (Read 1928 times)

Is this a mount point for Pannier rack?
« on: 04 April, 2019, 02:25:19 pm »
This is my friends 27.5 MTB... Is the spot marked in pic a pannier mounting point? ...or just for mud guards.
Just wondering as I thought pannier mounts were nearer axle

it has the other mounts near top of seat stay

Thanks for any help!

Sent from my Lenovo TAB S8-50F using Tapatalk

Re: Is this a mount point for Pannier rack?
« Reply #1 on: 04 April, 2019, 04:45:55 pm »
Pannier mounts these days tend to end up in odd places on account of the disk brake mounting*. If you have corresponding mounts at the top of the seat stays then I would suggest it will happily take a rack. You could check the load rating with the manufacturer.

* and therefore not all panniers are an easy fit.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #2 on: 04 April, 2019, 05:00:31 pm »
And ensure the bolt isn’t so long it fowls the rotor.

Don’t ask.

« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2019, 05:12:15 pm »

A poultry excuse for carelessness?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #4 on: 04 April, 2019, 05:14:05 pm »

A poultry excuse for carelessness?
Seen written on the sides of a Nandos delivery van:  "Poultry in motion".

« Reply #5 on: 04 April, 2019, 08:19:42 pm »
Thanks all.... The bike shop said to check if bolt goes through to other side of frame, if it does it should be okay for panniers

« Reply #6 on: 04 April, 2019, 08:56:23 pm »
Thanks all.... The bike shop said to check if bolt goes through to other side of frame, if it does it should be okay for panniers

That sounds like bollocks to me - I wouldn't expect eyelets of that kind to go all the way through.

If you search the exact model (especially if you know the year) you can probably find the spec listing in the Saracen catagogue and it'll say explicitly.

« Reply #7 on: 04 April, 2019, 09:31:40 pm »

That sounds like bollocks to me - I wouldn't expect eyelets of that kind to go all the way through.

If you search the exact model (especially if you know the year) you can probably find the spec listing in the Saracen catagogue and it'll say explicitly.
Ok thanks, I'll do that

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

« Reply #8 on: 05 April, 2019, 12:00:11 am »

Really? I’ve never ever seen pannier bolt holes (by the rear axle) that haven’t gone all of the way through.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #9 on: 05 April, 2019, 12:05:30 am »
I trawled thru Saracen catalog (not really obviously listed) and these bikes do have rack mounts.... Happy days

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 05 April, 2019, 12:08:24 am »

Really? I’ve never ever seen pannier bolt holes (by the rear axle) that haven’t gone all of the way through.

Surely going all the way through only matters when you strip the threads and need to rescue it with a longer bolt (or pan-head screw) and a nylock?  What's actually going to make a difference is how deep the hole is, ie. how much thread it gets to engage with...

OTOH "does it go all the way through?" sounds like a reasonable bike shop heuristic to stop people damaging their frames.

« Reply #11 on: 05 April, 2019, 12:26:55 am »
With this bike the rack mounts are on actual frame tube rather than dropout where axle sits.... That's where query about whether or not bolt goes right thru comes in. .... going thru frame tubewould be longer than going thru dropout

KIM... yes bike shop was concerned about possible damage to frame

Thanks all!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2019, 12:29:39 am »
With this bike the rack mounts are on actual frame tube rather than dropout where axle sits.... That's where query about whether or not bolt goes right thru comes in. .... going thru frame tubewould be longer than going thru dropout

Ah, hadn't clocked that.  Of course!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 05 April, 2019, 09:15:27 pm »
I've never seen a bolt hole that goes all the way through a tube or one that doesn't go all the way through a dropout. But that probably just means I should look at more frames.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.