Author Topic: Women’s gel saddles recommendations please  (Read 1277 times)

Women’s gel saddles recommendations please
« on: 15 March, 2019, 10:24:23 am »
Need some recommendations my current saddle is no longer made and is wearing out after years of service. It is a Fizik Vitesse cp technogel saddle https://www.mtbr.com/product/controls/saddle/fizik/vitesse-cp-womens.html I have not got on with super firm saddles i.e. non gel, or ones with cut outs in the past. Any recommendations would be appreciated i don’t race any longer the saddle is used for cycle touring and audax so comfort and support is key. Before this saddle i rode Selle Italia gel saddles but they only make them with a massive cut out now :'(

Any links to possible options welcomed many thanks all. :)

Re: Women’s gel saddles recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2019, 11:56:52 am »
My wife likes a Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow ,  which she's had for almost 10 years. Hers has a cutout, but it's not "massive" - don't think it's any larger than the current model:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/selle-italia-diva-gelflow-racing-saddle/

She uses it on a drop-handlebar touring bike. She's not a fast cyclist, but does cycle long-ish distances (e.g. 60 miles) and she says she still finds it comfortable and it's not in bad shape considering it's almost 10 years old.
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #2 on: 15 March, 2019, 12:30:58 pm »
I have the non Diva version of the Selle Italia on my touring/audax bike and I have always found it very comfortable (although my solo audax experience is limited to 200km)

I have worn it out (after around 22,000 miles) and replaced it with a slightly newer version which I had on a very under utilised bike - so it's all good again.

It is this one https://www.evanscycles.com/selle-italia-lady-gel-flow-00120436 - which looks to be an absolute bargain although only in white (assuming it's the leather version not the synthetic one, but from the originl price I think it is).

« Reply #3 on: 15 March, 2019, 01:18:07 pm »
Any suggestions for women’s gel saddles without cut out really find these uncomfortable.  My current saddle is 310g, 260cm long and 147cm wide.

« Reply #4 on: 04 April, 2019, 08:17:20 am »
Have you had your hips measured? I'd suggest going to a bike shop which does fitting. You sit on a special pad thing and then it indicates the width you need.

I've had:

Selle Italia Gel Flow
Selle Italia woman's SLR x2
Fizik Donna Arione x2
BBB echelon 155mm x2
Specialized Expert 155 x2

The only one I really didn't like was the Gel Flow. I'm much more comfortable on a harder saddle which supports my sit bones. I've gone wider after a bike fit which I did because I was getting lower back pain and needed more support for my pelvis (among other things).

I really want to try the SMP saddles but I've spent quite a lot on bike fit over the past six months and I haven't got the appetite at the moment. If there is a SMP test shop near you I'd be heading there. Also, I now buy these saddles second hand to save cost.

« Reply #5 on: 04 April, 2019, 12:20:29 pm »
I would second getting a saddle fitting in preference to necessarily staying with a gel saddle - but that is from a male perspective.

I'm now running Prologo saddles (two with holes, one with a relief channel), bought as a local bike shop supplied them and had their fitting system. Plus the saddles are all on a "try before you buy" - you pay up front but can return them for a full refund after a month if you're unhappy.

ETA, they do do one saddle without cut-outs as well, though foam not get padded.

https://www.prologotouch.com/prologoTouch/products/kappa-evo-dea-t2-0/

But again, if you go for a fit you'll talk about your riding and get one or more recommended to try.

We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6 on: 04 April, 2019, 12:24:58 pm »
Any suggestions for women’s gel saddles without cut out really find these uncomfortable.  My current saddle is 310g, 260cm long and 147cm wide.

Woah, that's bigger than my bike! :o ;)

IMHO saddles are too personal for recommendations to be much use. E.g. loads of people seem to like the Selle Italia Diva, whereas I hated it.

Personally I'm pretty much settled on Specialized Oura saddles and have them on all my bikes, but they have a cutout. I've heard good things about the new Specialized Power Mimic, which doesn't have a cutout, but I haven't tried one.

« Reply #7 on: 04 April, 2019, 04:11:27 pm »

IMHO saddles are too personal for recommendations to be much use. E.g. loads of people seem to like the Selle Italia Diva, whereas I hated it.
What she said.
I like a Cambium. Excellent resale value if you don't like it. Being rubber it has give like a gel saddle.
On the tandem I have to have a Brooks B17 so we match.
On the Livs (Avail, Invite, Shopper) I've been happy enough with the stock saddles - groove rather than cutout. One of them is a bit worn out and I'll replace like with like.