Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2487880 times)

Otto

• Biking Bad
Re: On the commute today
« Reply #17125 on: 30 June, 2015, 10:33:15 am »
What was it with Camberwell and Elephant & Castle this morning the traffic was so bad people were getting out of there cars and stretching their legs

« Reply #17126 on: 30 June, 2015, 11:32:01 am »
In addition to the existing works at E&C, there was a burst water main on Kennington Park Road yesterday, road is still shut.  Looked like a river.

« Reply #17127 on: 30 June, 2015, 02:32:19 pm »
A nice incedent free sunny cycle ride into work. The only hard bit was trying to keep the flow of sweat down after I was sat at my desk  :facepalm:

« Reply #17128 on: 01 July, 2015, 07:14:41 am »
Very sweaty run in today - 20 degrees at 5am. I saw a dead fox and a dead badger. Well, you can never tell with badgers as they're so hard they don't usually explode on impact. It wasn't moving though!

« Reply #17129 on: 01 July, 2015, 08:49:50 am »
Last night I rode home as I would be quicker than getting the train and was.

This morning the first train was delayed such that I would miss the connection and so I rode all the way in and arrived at normal time.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #17130 on: 01 July, 2015, 09:39:19 am »
75 deg F showing on the speedo at 7.45 on the run into Salford. Rode part of the way yesterday with someone commuting on a Sky brand Pinarello with disc brakes and deep rim carbon tubulars. Marginal gains for the commute?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #17131 on: 01 July, 2015, 09:59:48 am »
It all counts in SCR.

Very warm ride in this morning, and quite a stiff SE breeze which was a surprise. I've brought the fast bike and only a showerproof gilet so if the thunderstorms turn up this afternoon I'll get wet.

Lots of little birds and rabbits around this morning, and I think the seagulls are not keen on the heat, as a set of them were hunkered down in the long grass.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #17132 on: 01 July, 2015, 11:19:54 am »
Having battled with the OKR traffic yesterday, this morning I set off nice'n'early and went up to Greenwich, through the cool cool tunnel and them wiggled up through Stratford to Leytonstone.  Delivered a birthday card to my brother, had a puncture and then battled with the A11 traffic into town, but none of it detracted from the joy of 2 hours of riding in this sunshine.

« Reply #17133 on: 02 July, 2015, 03:48:27 pm »
I rode through a puddle of fresh rain water and it was GLORIOUS.

« Reply #17134 on: 02 July, 2015, 10:14:00 pm »
Exciting times on the commute this evening!

A car ahead of me had its exhaust hanging so low that it was bouncing off the speed bumps. I half-heartedly gave chase to let the driver know, as the style of driving suggested they hadn't a clue, but I gave up when it turned into Firth Moor.

Later, a cyclist came off down Polam Lane - his front wheel skidded on a can of Kestrel hidden in the leafmulch. I occasionally think it's a shame they tarmacced Polam Lane, but the nearly-unique milky blue Darlo cobbles can be murder in the wet. His Halfords road bike seemed to survive the impact fairly well, though he was a bit shaken. I straightened his bars (threaded headset, the top nut needs a fair bit of tightening) and bashed his brake lever back into place. Funnily enough, we work on the same site, but he was going to work and I was going home. He was alright, if a bit shaky, and as he had a mate nearby who'd give him a lift, he went off that way rather than towards work.

« Reply #17135 on: 02 July, 2015, 11:10:18 pm »
I took my fixie to work today, it is my preferred commuter, however my improved fitness and the gradients mean the gearing on the fixed is wrong, Sections where the tourer cruises as 20-25mph (steady gentle decent) are ~17-19mph and the climbs are still hard work, this resulted in 1h:15m home instead of the 1h:5m on the heavier tourer.  :-\

I can't decide if I need to gear up for the cruising speed and bite the bullet for the hills or just accept being slightly slower as my driven cadence runs out at lower speeds. Currently I run 48*19 on 32mm tyres and could go to either 17 or 18 by taking a link out of the chain.

« Reply #17136 on: 03 July, 2015, 12:58:17 am »
Work on your cadence?

I run a slightly lower gear than you (about 65": I make yours 68") and don't particularly find a problem with it. It's a bit spinny once I'm into the 40s (kph), but that's enough for most steady descents.

I found getting a computer with cadence sensor and trying hard (on a geared bike) to keep my cadence above 90, preferably up to 100rpm was helpful in teaching my legs to behave. IME if 90 or 100 is normal, then 120 isn't that hard - and that should be good for 25mph downhill ...

« Reply #17137 on: 03 July, 2015, 08:39:23 am »
Its gorgeous riding in these mornings.
Was on the brompton today for added slowness and enjoyment of the weather.

« Reply #17138 on: 03 July, 2015, 09:52:10 am »
It was so hot on Wednesday evening. I thought I'd have to stop at one point, it was like a furnace on the English side of the bridge. A breeze off the estuary helped by the time I had got into Caldicot, but I could feel my skin burning despite the sun lotion and decent starter tan.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #17139 on: 03 July, 2015, 10:02:54 am »
Lovely ride in this morning. The sun was burning off the last of the morning cloud and I could feel the temperature rising rapidly from the cool 15oC I set off in.

Also the first time I've taken the singlespeed on my short route for a while. Rather happy I'm back to being able to crawl up the steep hill on that route that was defeating me a couple months back. Still get a little bit aprehensive riding over a certain bridge on that bike though and back right off for the turn, which isn't clever just before the hill on the other side.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #17140 on: 03 July, 2015, 10:04:22 am »
Work on your cadence?

I run a slightly lower gear than you (about 65": I make yours 68") and don't particularly find a problem with it. It's a bit spinny once I'm into the 40s (kph), but that's enough for most steady descents.

I found getting a computer with cadence sensor and trying hard (on a geared bike) to keep my cadence above 90, preferably up to 100rpm was helpful in teaching my legs to behave. IME if 90 or 100 is normal, then 120 isn't that hard - and that should be good for 25mph downhill ...
My decending cadence is happy up to 150rpm (30mph) when the hill is steep enough that I am following the pedals rather than driving them. The issue is this is a gentle decent where on gears I will drive a gear at 90-95 rpm and 22-25 mph but on the fixed I can only drive and sustain 100 rpm and 20mph.

I am back on gears this morning but trying not to gear down as far on the accents.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #17141 on: 03 July, 2015, 10:05:45 am »
Lovely ride in this morning. The sun was burning off the last of the morning cloud and I could feel the temperature rising rapidly from the cool 15oC I set off in.

Also the first time I've taken the singlespeed on my short route for a while. Rather happy I'm back to being able to crawl up the steep hill on that route that was defeating me a couple months back. Still get a little bit aprehensive riding over a certain bridge on that bike though and back right off for the turn, which isn't clever just before the hill on the other side.

But you're doing it!  Repetition will make it easier x
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #17142 on: 03 July, 2015, 10:20:59 am »
Really socialable ride this morning in the sun. The first half of the jiyrney was chatting to one of my fellow bike-train commuters.

I commented on  the loveliness of a 650b velo orange to its owner at Hyde park corner and then we chatted as we rode until  I turned off embankment for blackfriar''s bridge.

Put me in the mood for tonight's FNRthS  :)
not so much a gravel grinder.... more of a gravel groveller

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #17143 on: 03 July, 2015, 07:19:03 pm »
First ever bike-only commute to my new job yesterday - a 135km round-trip  8)
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #17144 on: 03 July, 2015, 08:49:08 pm »
!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #17145 on: 04 July, 2015, 09:10:25 pm »
Completely unsurprised.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Si_Co

« Reply #17146 on: 06 July, 2015, 09:35:21 am »
 I blew through a red light light on a pedestrian crossing this morning  :-[

Cruising down Urmston Lane drafting a Luton van at 40+ kph, pretty distracted thinking about STUFFS I saw the change late and realised I didn't have a scooby what was behind me, so ran it. Transpires I was being drafted in turn by a member of Greater Manchester's fire brigade, he was paying attention and stopped.

I have got to get my s*** together, I'm becoming a hazard at the moment.

spindrift

« Reply #17147 on: 06 July, 2015, 09:55:25 am »
Nice chat with an elderly party on a moped at the lights who asked what my spoke reflectors from Aldi were. I explained they're for sideways visibility and we had a chat then when he overtook he raised an arm in salute which I thought was going too far. Weirdo.

« Reply #17148 on: 06 July, 2015, 11:08:55 am »

Cruising down Urmston Lane drafting a Luton van at 40+ kph, pretty distracted thinking about STUFFS I saw the change late and realised I didn't have a scooby what was behind me, so ran it. Transpires I was being drafted in turn by a member of Greater Manchester's fire brigade, he was paying attention and stopped.

I know the feeling. When I find myself getting into this territory I fix it by slowing right back down again.

Si_Co

« Reply #17149 on: 06 July, 2015, 11:25:23 am »

I know the feeling. When I find myself getting into this territory I fix it by slowing right back down again.

Thanks, that was my conclusion too, but as you probably know in a city rush hour that has its own problems, maybe I'll leave a little earlier, its easier to go slower when the traffic is lighter.