Author Topic: Dehyrated cat  (Read 904 times)

Dehyrated cat
« on: 15 October, 2011, 06:57:19 pm »
Sorry for yet another cat thread but don't want to ring the vet again until it's urgent, already spoken to them this afternoon. I've searched on here for the dehydration threads and learnt a bit.

I forgot to ask how much water to try and give. Managed to get most of 3.5 ml down him and it's helped but I'm not sure how much is
too much?

After the water he had a bit of tuna, not much but some. I didn't drain it and served him it "wet" so don't want to overdo the rehydration.

I did find this in one of the threads which I'm hoping is the case but will get him to the vets on monday if he doesn't pick up by then.

Fingers crossed this will see him feeling better tomorrow.  Dehydration can make them feel quite awful.  Often you never get to know what is wrong.

border-rider

Re: Dehyrated cat
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2011, 07:02:22 pm »
If you think he's really dehydrated, call the vet's out-of-office number and ask *exactly* what to do.

« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2011, 07:21:03 pm »
Thanks MV, the answer is 10 - 20 mls tonight. Little and often. He was watching Strictly come dancing so didn't mind being disturbed.

I ought to shorten the three day rule to 2 days as they're getting a bit older.

« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2011, 09:45:14 am »
Despite the waterboarding, he's still speaking to me. Without saying much, but can tell he's feeling better.

border-rider

« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2011, 10:21:38 am »
That's very good news, L.

Hopefully he'll soon be up to full strength :)