Author Topic: Need new sprockets; what's recommended now?  (Read 4108 times)

Need new sprockets; what's recommended now?
« on: 07 January, 2017, 08:36:01 pm »
I recently replaced chain, chainring & sprocket. The spares box is now distinctly short of replacement cogs. I use 3/32" chains & chainrings. Current cogs are 20t &22t. I have spare 19t & 21t from E.I.A. (Hubjub, back in the days of Will). 

I observe that E.I.A. seems to have disappeared. Hubjub have nothing that fits my requirements. I've naturally done a bit of googling & found some possibles. However I suspect that collective yacf wisdom might be a useful guide to quality (primarily concentricity - there are still Cyclo cogs out there) & durability.

What do folks suggest?

Re: Need new sprockets; what's recommended now?
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2017, 08:42:19 pm »
Hubjub still have EAI sprockets and they say the 20 and 22-tooth flavours are in stock.

I've found Surly to be pretty good too.

« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2017, 09:12:25 pm »
Thanks for that one. I'd thought that the absence of E.A.I. in the cogs & freewheels section, plus a total failure of a google search for "EAI sprocket" meant that E.A.I. had folded. The E.A.I. section of the Hubjub site explains quite a bit, though doesn't yet encourage me to expect sprockets of any size. Which bit of the website have I missed?

Edit: - google for "Euro Asia Imports cog" gets me to Hubjub ( ??? ). No 3/32" cogs though.

« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2017, 11:30:15 pm »
I like to think I've had good value from BLB's in-house Pista range but as I don't actually have anything else to compare it to this is only a guess.

On reflection, the above is about as much use as the proverbial chocolate cliché.
Your next 1200's your best 1200.

« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2017, 10:08:55 pm »
I presume that the BLB Pista range don't suffer from lack of concentricity, otherwise you'd have mentioned it. Having lived with the eccentrcity of Cyclo cogs for a few decades, that is my biggest concern.

Durability is more complex. One the one hand the 20t EIA cog I recently replaced had lasted for about 22 000 miles, which was one chain too many. OTOH for several years I had an SJS alloy cog (definitely not politically correct) as the bailout gear, which probably did a couple of thousand miles without much visible wear, in complete contrast to a 46t Stronglight chainring which only lasted as long as one chain.

So all contributions gratefully received, even though I had a bit of a culture shock when I reached the components page of the BLB website  ;) .

Chris N

« Reply #5 on: 17 January, 2017, 08:06:07 pm »
Surly/Andel seem ok to me, though not as nice as EAI.

« Reply #6 on: 25 January, 2017, 10:52:24 pm »
Thanks Chris. It's what I'd suspected; it seems the UK market for 3/32" cogs has shrunk to a point of very limited choice.
It could be worse. I doubt that either Surly or Andel cogs are normally eccentric, since that should be a function of production machining procedures (give or take a bit of quality control), as opposed to the old Cyclo cogs, whose teeth, I suspect, were stamped, with inaccurate reference to the hub threads.

« Reply #7 on: 26 January, 2017, 07:42:04 am »
Is it possible run a 1/ 8 " chain on a 3/32 " chainring ? Currently my whole set up is 3/32" singlespeed and judging from comments above I may find it difficult to source a good quality non bank breaking priced  3/ 32" when time comes to replace existing 19T one

ta
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #8 on: 26 January, 2017, 10:51:12 am »
Is it possible run a 1/ 8 " chain on a 3/32 " chainring ? Currently my whole set up is 3/32" singlespeed and judging from comments above I may find it difficult to source a good quality non bank breaking priced  3/ 32" when time comes to replace existing 19T one

ta

Yes, I've done that. May not be a smooth as matching, but mine didn't fall off.

I may have a couple of cogs somewhere. I'll have a look and add them to the shed list if I get chance later.

Mike

« Reply #9 on: 06 February, 2017, 10:33:44 pm »

ta

Yes it is.

For a long time I had always run 3/32" but I wanted a change of ratio and came across a 1/8" 19 tooth Andel sprocket for only a few pounds. I bought a a basic 1/8" chain and now I am completely converted.

The whole system seems more fluid, definitely quieter and also more even in tension. I think that the chain being wider than the 3/32" chainring allows it a little sideways movement which is what works so well. Certainly for me anyway on my old Ellis Briggs 1984 frame.

As an aside, I also prefer the teeth profile iof the Andel sprocket over the EAI ones.