Author Topic: Twilight 600km  (Read 20625 times)

Twilight 600km
« on: 06 May, 2008, 05:44:47 pm »
Rider's are invited to join ERC'S elite team on this 600km leisurely ride thru some fantastic scenry on the holiday weekend forthcoming.
Go on, go on , go on.
 :)

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Twilight 600km
« Reply #1 on: 06 May, 2008, 05:57:17 pm »
Rider's are invited to join ERC'S elite team on this 600km leisurely ride thru some fantastic scenry on the holiday weekend forthcoming.
Go on, go on , go on.

Will you be accompanied by the elusive Mr Islander, or is he still pedalling round the hills above Gifford?? Is a tandem involved? And remember that Mr YLG will need to be restrained in the early stages as you go past Glendevon Reservoir.  ;)

Are you doing it in the Angus Gentlemen's Stylee, with a nightcap and a bed at Inchree? Much to be recommended.  :thumbsup:
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #2 on: 06 May, 2008, 06:31:06 pm »
It looks like YLG and myself , not sure about the Islander chap think he's off racing or TT's I am told.
There will be a four or indeed maybe six hour stop over for shut eye, beer,
 sing song etc .
You are indeed most welcome to attend
I think the Ernst's are busy that weekend
Hope to see you on Sunday a mere 200km with a lump or two thrown in
 :thumbsup:

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #3 on: 06 May, 2008, 07:09:14 pm »
Hope to see you on Sunday a mere 200km with a lump or two thrown in

Aye, Noodley and I will be there.  ;D

When is this "holiday weekend" of which you speak? I could be tempted, but would worry about holding the ERC Time Trial Team up.  :-[
Perhaps we could organise the Gie's a Light DIY `Version from Angusland and meet up with youse guys at Aberfeldy for breakfast?  :-\

« Reply #4 on: 06 May, 2008, 07:36:09 pm »
I could be tempted depending on which date you're intending riding this.
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #5 on: 06 May, 2008, 07:41:09 pm »
...600km leisurely ride thru some fantastic scenry on the holiday weekend forthcoming.
Go on, go on , go on.

A 600 holiday sounds good.  When is it?  I still have unfinished business to take care of elsewhere which may clash...

« Reply #6 on: 06 May, 2008, 07:54:53 pm »
May 24/25
That might be an idea to hook up at Mrs Mc Dermott,s cafe as norm on route in Aberfeldy.
No team time trial untill 24TT looking at somwhere between 6and 8pm 25/5th

« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:03:10 pm »
May 24/25

...that does not clash with my "unfinished business", but it does clash with "something else", so I have made a narrow escape to offer my apologies.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #8 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:23:10 pm »
May 24/25
That might be an idea to hook up at Mrs Mc Dermott,s cafe as norm on route in Aberfeldy.
No team time trial untill 24TT looking at somwhere between 6and 8pm 25/5th

Aye, that might be on. Unless I'm involved with the "something else" that Noodley's on about?  ???

PM to Noodley: I'm not am I?  Please tell me I'm not.  ::-)

Shall I inform any of my, er, clubmates of this entertainment?  ;)

« Reply #9 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:28:07 pm »
Yes indeed the more rider's the better sing song and craic

« Reply #10 on: 06 May, 2008, 08:54:02 pm »

Nope, I seem to recall your words of a few weeks ago were along the lines of "michty me, I dinnae think I'll be gaein' ower the Lecht t'ither way on 24 May..."  ;D

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #11 on: 06 May, 2008, 09:00:07 pm »

Nope, I seem to recall your words of a few weeks ago were along the lines of "michty me, I dinnae think I'll be gaein' ower the Lecht t'ither way on 24 May..."  ;D

Jings, dae Ah really spake like that, min? An' me comin' fae Fife an'a'?  ::-)

Aye, Ah'll no be onyplace near yon Lecht.  :thumbsup:

The Bairn

« Reply #12 on: 08 May, 2008, 09:53:53 pm »
Hey, this is where yizuvaw been!  :thumbsup:

Just thawed out from the York Arrow and yes chaps I will be having this.  I had originally planned to travel south for the Midhurst 600 but I've decided to give up on travelling hours on end to audax events as I'm doing enough rattling about the country Mon-Fri.

I would hope that this will be a leisurely 600, steady pace for the majority with a nice view of the Hibernian Exile a couple of miles up the road. 

Inchree sounded like it worked last year so why not stop there for a nightcap.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #13 on: 08 May, 2008, 09:58:53 pm »
Inchree was indeed most pleasant a bloody lifesaver. Mr DF of Kirriemuir Vélo is also interested. Perhaps we should do a roll call with a view to booking in at the hostile fairly soon.

Failing Inchree, there is another good bunkhouse literally behind the pub at the Corran Ferry. We stayed there for our club piss-up cycling weekend last month.

« Reply #14 on: 08 May, 2008, 10:15:40 pm »
We can't do this weekend :'(

However the next weekend is our planned DIY 600

400km loop (Mark's 400km ish) from Corstorphine followed by a 200km loop(Balloch and back). Both starting and finishing at our house so a chance for a good feed, some sleep and a change of clothes.   ;D
Anyone fancy joining us?

The Bairn

« Reply #15 on: 09 May, 2008, 02:10:16 pm »
OK - roll call

Definites -

Y Lee G
Hibernian Exile
Eck

Maybes

DF?
Cyclops?

Those doing the Twilight permanent will be starting from Tesco South Queensferry at circa 6am Saturday 24th May.   

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #16 on: 09 May, 2008, 03:57:13 pm »
OK - roll call

Definites -

Y Lee G
Hibernian Exile
Eck

Maybes

DF?
Cyclops?

Those doing the Twilight permanent will be starting from Tesco South Queensferry at circa 6am Saturday 24th May.   

..and those doing the (much more scenic) "Gie's a Light" version will be leaving Kirriemuir at about Seven o' the Knock, with a view to a breakfast rendezvous at Aberfeldy.

I'm probably definite, and DF is definitely probable. Perhaps those of us doing the Deeside Loop on Sunday can hoodwink others into joining us.  :demon:

y lee g

« Reply #17 on: 13 May, 2008, 02:02:27 pm »
Were any unsuspecting randonneurs hoodwinked into joining us? 

If theres only the three or of us we could kip at my in laws in Ft William, however its not ideal as its a few km shorter and is at the the top of a dirty big hill.  Oh aye and I havent asked them yet and they might have visitors.  Even if kipping there is a non starter, they could act as a bag drop if we are sufficiently organised.  If we are going to use Inchree, do we need to book in advance? 

I managed to negotiaite a pass for Sunday and managed a wonderfully warm 300 to Longtown and back.   Good practice for hanging around with Hibernian "Podium Finish" Exile.

ps - I have always wondered the significance of the large globe shaped item with the bicycle "mosaic" and the word "TOULOUSE" on it by the side of the road near Beattock.  Any ideas?  I've seen it many times so I dont think I'm hallucinating.       

« Reply #18 on: 13 May, 2008, 03:33:31 pm »
I'm afraid I can't make next weekend but I'm planning to ride the Twilight on the weekend of the 14th June instead.

ps - I have always wondered the significance of the large globe shaped item with the bicycle "mosaic" and the word "TOULOUSE" on it by the side of the road near Beattock.  Any ideas?  I've seen it many times so I dont think I'm hallucinating.       

Is it some memorial to the legendary Beattock - Toulouse one day race which was last won in 1924 by Alphonse Dugreut?
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #19 on: 13 May, 2008, 05:21:50 pm »
Were any unsuspecting randonneurs hoodwinked into joining us? 

Well, I think a couple were.  :thumbsup:

I'm fairly sure we will be at least four, maybe up to six. My clubmate DF is a likely starter.
neilmc's only dilemma seemed to be whether to opt for the SQ or Kirrie start. RJMcB appeared to be resigned to "getting into trouble" with Mrs McB in order to attend.

If there are  4- 5- 6 of us, I think we should definitely book Inchree. We had booked for 5 last year, only 4 of us made it that far, we had a 8 berth room to ourselves. I think it cost us abt £15 each, and that included a self-service continental breakfast,

Should we put out a "last call" for volunteers, before seeing about booking?

Sorry you won't make it Cyclops. I'd better keep my gilet on then.  :-[

« Reply #20 on: 13 May, 2008, 06:24:36 pm »
Tried calling the bunkhouse last night but no reply
Its the bank holiday weekend for some so I guess we better get in ahead of the Bongaleese
The corran ferry shelter is only designed for two
May I say Friday as final call
 8)

y lee g

« Reply #21 on: 13 May, 2008, 09:56:00 pm »
Friday as a "go / no go" is a good shout.  :thumbsup:

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #22 on: 13 May, 2008, 10:31:43 pm »
Indeed it is.
I've PMd neilmc and RJMcB.

Mr HE - ISTR having to try a few times to speak to Inchree. If they are full, the Onich bunkhouse is fine (but I think we need to provide our own supplies for breakfast.)

« Reply #23 on: 13 May, 2008, 10:51:51 pm »
Still thinking.....

But it's still a bit early in the year for a 600 for me  :-\

RJMcB

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #24 on: 13 May, 2008, 11:01:32 pm »
Still thinking.....

But it's still a bit early in the year for a 600 for me  :-\

RJMcB

But it's still more than a week away. You'll be fine. And think how fit you'll be for the Snow Roads. :thumbsup: