Author Topic: From 300Km to 600Km  (Read 13577 times)

LEE

Re: From 300Km to 600Km
« Reply #50 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:12:09 am »
I changed into dry shorts, base-layer, socks and jersey after about 450km and it was a real pick-me-up after wearing wet rags for hours.  For me it was worth carrying spares for that feeling alone.

Like Charlotte says, it's nice to know you have stuff if you need it.  Worrying about not having enough can waste more energy than carrying it in the first place.

« Reply #51 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:13:04 am »
I changed into dry shorts, base-layer, socks and jersey after about 450km and it was a real pick-me-up after wearing wet rags for hours.  For me it was worth carrying spares for that feeling alone.

Like Charlotte says, it's nice to know you have stuff if you need it.  Worrying about not having enough can waste more energy than carrying it in the first place.

and if the weather turns, as you say wearing wet rags is not much fun.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #52 on: 29 May, 2008, 03:57:12 pm »
I'd also go for a change of shorts. I also like having a flannel or two to wash/wipe various places.

Baby wipes. Flushable, so you don't have to carry round a flannel that's been used to wash/wipe various places ;)

Good idea, but can't always apply enough water to clean some areas to my satisfaction; my sweat is very salty and I hate being sticky. A wet flannel is very good for cooling a hot randonneur/se.
I think I like one for 'clean' areas and one for others.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #53 on: 29 May, 2008, 04:03:34 pm »
I'm a 'kitchen sink' type, who would suggest more kit than many for a 600.
It can get quite cold at night, even in mid-summer, and if you need to stop outdoors following a mishap, you can get very cold, especially if you're wet/sweaty. I'd recommend some warm kit...
and tooth-cleaners
and flannels
and food
and tools
and spares
and maps
etc

« Reply #54 on: 29 May, 2008, 04:17:31 pm »
Does anyone have any opinions on any of the above regarding bike/equipment?

Hi Dodge,

Just say that on top of the sage advice above, you may also like to read this thread:
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=585.0;topicseen

I travelled fairly light on both of my 600s, but took the kitchen sink approach to Paris-Brest, lugging 2x20ltr panniers the whole way around.  One was full of sleeping gear in the form of lwt bivvy, thermarest and folding pillow.  I did use these on the first night when the dozies got insufferable, but got dangerously cold (I had bedded down in a market square that was roofed but exposed); it was the closest I came to packing.  I think next time, I'd go for the space blanket option instead, even if you take 3-4 and throw them away after each sleep...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
  • Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow!!
    • Velo Club L'Escargot - Ultra Distance Cycling Club
« Reply #55 on: 29 May, 2008, 04:39:23 pm »
Thanks Andy, much appreciated, I'll have a look at that thread now...

Dodge
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

« Reply #56 on: 29 May, 2008, 06:01:06 pm »
I'd look at the Carradice SQR seat packs instead of a rack.  They look ideal

for example

SQR Tour

I haven't used one (I use a Barley) so you'd need reviews from others.  16 Litres seems a good size to me or you'll end up carrying too much (like me)

I have one, and I like it. I used it on last weekend's 600. However, I was surprised that the set up (empty) weighs more than a Blackburn rack and an Altura Skye rackpack.  ???

It is however more aerodynamic! Note: - I like mine

Julia ;D
Reine de la Fauche

bazzerp

• A new life in Cape Town.
« Reply #57 on: 29 May, 2008, 10:17:59 pm »
Inspirational - thank you all.

Not sure if I will ever get up these distances....  having recently got lost on a 200  ;D
Where have all the hedges gone ?

LEE

« Reply #58 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:56:46 pm »

Not sure if I will ever get up these distances

My exact sentiments last year.

Turns out that you will if you want to enough.

Dodge

• Monsieur Escargot
  • Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow!!
    • Velo Club L'Escargot - Ultra Distance Cycling Club
« Reply #59 on: 30 May, 2008, 09:47:59 am »

Not sure if I will ever get up these distances

My exact sentiments last year.

Turns out that you will if you want to enough.

Could not agree more, especially given 3 years ago I was a 40-a-day smoker, drinker, 19 stone and could not even ride 2 miles  :P

I can still remember the significant pain after a mountainous (well there was a couple of small hills!!) 2 mile ride from the bike shop to home on my new mountain bike! Ouch, I couldn't walk for the next 3 days!

It still amazes me just what the human body is capable of, and I think the point that keeps on coming across is that a huge amount of it is in the head...if you are bloody minded enough then nothing can ultimately stand in your way!
Velo Club L'Escargot - we're great at going slow - steady as she goes Captain :) - http://www.racingsnails.cc

LEE

« Reply #60 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:34:09 am »
I think that, for me, crossing the 100 mile ride 'barrier' a few years ago was quite significant.

Once your legs can keep pedalling for 100 miles then they will probably be able to keep pedalling for as long as your brain can hang in there.

I totally agree about it being a mental game on long rides.  I used AA Route planner to see how far 600km actually is.  As it happens it's the same as cycling from Havant, on the South coast near Portsmouth, to Lockerbie in South West Scotland.

There is NO WAY I would attempt such a thing. That would be crazy right?
However, by breaking it up into small sections (ie.  a route sheet) and treating it as several 60km rides to food controls, it turns out that I actually did ride that far in under 2 days.  You can always ride another 20km/1hour no matter how tired you feel but there's no way you can ride from Havant to Lockerbie.

When I'm in a bad patch I just tell myself that the next 20km is the same as my feeble little lunchtime ride and it doesn't seem so bad.

Just a mental game.

Edit.  I'm started to process of getting my shoulder/neck cramps fixed (Doctor then Physio).  If I can sort that pain out then Audax will be less of a mental game and more fun.  Most of my longer rides have been about dealing with a "knife shoved in my shoulder blade" rather than turning the pedals.  It must be nice to be able to concentrate on the scenery instead.  I'm certainly not doing PBP unless it's fixed.

« Reply #61 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:37:12 am »

When I'm in a bad patch I just tell myself that the next 20km is the same as my feeble little lunchtime ride and it doesn't seem so bad.

Just a mental game.

I and a few others I know consider the distance as the number of commutes, I know I can ride home no matter what state I am in. My commute is about 7 km each way, LEL was therefore 200 commutes !!!

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #62 on: 30 May, 2008, 06:07:04 pm »
  I'm certainly not doing PBP unless it's fixed.

Oh, I'm not sure I'd want to ride PBP fixed.  There's quite a few hills... :o

;)

« Reply #63 on: 01 June, 2008, 03:24:57 pm »
So, when we're talking about sleeping on 600's, do people carry sleeping bags with them on these rides and could you fit one of these in the Barley?

Very few people carry sleeping bags.  Teethgrinder sometimes does, I know.  But he's a fruityloop who'll happily ride 1000k in a weekend on a mountain bike with panniers.

I don't carry a sleeping bag, except for a few very rare occasions. If you really get things right and sleep well before the ride, you won't need to sleep. I sometimes carry a balaclava, which is a very lightweight way of keeping warmer for sleeping.
You could always book a hotel on the route and share it with other riders to cut the cost down.