Author Topic: AAA altitude checks  (Read 4565 times)

AAA altitude checks
« on: 02 June, 2008, 08:23:48 pm »
The route's been checked by Steve Snook, so the scenery points are for real.

I was under the impression all routes would have to be checked before beign accepted as "real"...so, if not, what is the done thing?

Re: AAA altitude checks
« Reply #1 on: 02 June, 2008, 08:26:38 pm »
The route's been checked by Steve Snook, so the scenery points are for real.

I was under the impression all routes would have to be checked before beign accepted as "real"...so, if not, what is the done thing?

I think the point was that Steve Snook is the head of the AAA insanity, therefore it's bound to be legitimate.

As with everything else, there's a large element of trust and responsibility on the ride organiser.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 02 June, 2008, 08:39:43 pm »
I thought Steve would have to check any ride claiming AAA...as per his article in Arrivee a wee while ago there are some big differences depending on method used to measure.

DanialW

« Reply #3 on: 02 June, 2008, 08:41:18 pm »
Steve did a huge trawl of all routes attracting AAA points last year, so most of them are now faithful to audax regulations.

Steve does take routes on trust if there is no tracklog or the like to contour count. However if the route is over/understated, he'll amend it once he gets something he can check. The Coasts and Quantocks event got its AAA points reduced from 2 to 0.25, after the event had taken place.

« Reply #4 on: 02 June, 2008, 09:02:55 pm »
Thanks.

That makes sense.

« Reply #5 on: 03 June, 2008, 05:05:22 pm »
The last  audax we rode had 2000 m of climbing and 1 point. Two garmins  only reported 1200 m . Now a Garmin may not be perfect , but if they become popular  you could average out the metres climbed.

DanialW

« Reply #6 on: 03 June, 2008, 05:17:07 pm »
The last  audax we rode had 2000 m of climbing and 1 point. Two garmins  only reported 1200 m . Now a Garmin may not be perfect , but if they become popular  you could average out the metres climbed.

If you still have the tracklogs, send them to Steve Snook. Msg me if you'd like his details.

« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2008, 12:20:39 am »
What do I have to do to get a "Calendar Perm" with AAA points approved?

I do not have any computer programmes which show altitude, so can I submit routes to someone to check and verify?

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #8 on: 05 June, 2008, 06:32:15 am »
What do I have to do to get a "Calendar Perm" with AAA points approved?

I do not have any computer programmes which show altitude, so can I submit routes to someone to check and verify?

Pay attention at the back there, Mr Noodley.
Look here: http://www.aukweb.net/index2.htm
Lots of hints and tips for enterprising organisers. For example:

To organise your own permanent event, fine-tune your favourite route so that control points can be placed to ensure that the full distance is ridden. Then email or write to the Permanents Secretary for a pro forma and risk assessment form. Fill in the details and return with a copy of the route sheet and a map marked with the route and controls, or the Autoroute file.  The event details will be published in the Arrivée and on the AUK web site. When your permanent is announced in one of these it can be ridden as an ‘official’ AUK event. Brevet cards for your entrants, price 50p each, are ordered from John Ward 34 Avenue Road, Lymington, SO41 9GJ. These may be generic cards (for series of rides) or you might design a master from which inners can be printed. Organisers check and sign completed cards and send them to the Permanents Secretary, with the rider’s SAE, for validation and recording.

John Ward

If you have any queries about the AAA please email steve.snook@tiscali.co.uk, or write or phone. My address and phone number are in the Handbook.

Steve Snook

Now, If you'll excuse me, I've got a DIY to do, sans AAA points.

It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #9 on: 05 June, 2008, 02:36:44 pm »
What is the climb ratio for 1 point on a 200km . In m/km or is it a small hilly section in the middle of a plain. 

« Reply #10 on: 05 June, 2008, 03:52:17 pm »
What is the climb ratio for 1 point on a 200km . In m/km or is it a small hilly section in the middle of a plain. 

Audax UK AAA

1AAA in 200km is 3100m climbing.

If it were a 100km subsection worth 1 AAA it would have to have 1800m of climbing, and therefore the other 100km is pan-flat with only 200m climbing.

Doesn't sound very believable really.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 05 June, 2008, 05:08:14 pm »

Audax UK AAA

1AAA in 200km is 3100m climbing.

If it were a 100km subsection worth 1 AAA it would have to have 1800m of climbing, and therefore the other 100km is pan-flat with only 200m climbing.

Doesn't sound very believable really.
Maybe they only checked the "hilly" 100km bit properly, then guesstimated the total as nobody checks that (I think)?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2008, 09:58:41 pm »

...whatever was in this bit...just before the bit which said:

Now, If you'll excuse me, I've got a DIY to do, sans AAA points.

How could I not find that?   :-X
Thanks  :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2008, 10:23:04 pm »
The Coasts and Quantocks event got its AAA points reduced from 2 to 0.25, after the event had taken place.

Yeah.  Who snitched, Danial?

;)

DanialW

« Reply #14 on: 06 June, 2008, 06:58:36 am »
Ah, that'll be me.  :demon:

I like Steve Snook, he's a good bloke and he takes his AAA work very seriously. I couldn't let a discrepancy like that go unremarked.

Still, this can serve to cause organisers to strive towards 'better' things. I grassed up Ross Jeal as well, and now he's gone and produced a verified 5.25AAA 200km beast for you all to enjoy in 2009.