Author Topic: Thirsk info. for York Arrow  (Read 2942 times)

Thirsk info. for York Arrow
« on: 05 June, 2008, 10:49:20 pm »
We are planning to ride the summer arrow to York in a few weeks time

Rough route Edinburgh-Kendel-Northallerton-York
Probably using Thirsk as 22hour control

Does anyboby knows of anywhere open at 6am, sunday morning in Thirsk or near where we could get food and Coffee ::-)

We rode a similar route at easter in the blizzard and found nothing open between Killington Lake services and Bourghbridge (our chosen 22 hour control)

Any help or alternative route plan would be most appreciated

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
Re: Thirsk info. for York Arrow
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2008, 10:58:46 pm »
Enrst, a quick google came up with this. There may be lots more?
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Q_Jet_Q_Jet_Thirsk_Filling_Station__6553083

A route plan? Don't go up Sutton Bank.  :-X  :'(
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:05:30 pm »
No, no need to go up Sutton Bank to get to York. Follow the LEL route part way or since you are so early blast down the A19.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:08:07 pm »
No, no need to go up Sutton Bank to get to York.

Wish I'd known that before doing the "retreat from Moscow" re-enactment up there in the dark, in a blizzard, on our easter arrow this year.  ::-)

Eh, Mrs megajoules?  ;)

« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:32:46 pm »

...on our easter arrow this year.  ::-)

You didn't do the Easter Arrow to York did you?  You've never mentioned it.   ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2008, 11:34:49 pm »
No, no need to go up Sutton Bank to get to York.

Wish I'd known that before doing the "retreat from Moscow" re-enactment up there in the dark, in a blizzard, on our easter arrow this year.  ::-)

Eh, Mrs megajoules?  ;)

What was your distance on the Easter Arrow ?  The results that your team and a bevvy of VC167s were the only finishers. I know what my guys did.

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #6 on: 06 June, 2008, 06:53:28 am »

What was your distance on the Easter Arrow ?  The results that your team and a bevvy of VC167s were the only finishers. I know what my guys did.

We did about 380+k: I thought the other team, EH12, from Scotlandland did just over 400, but apparently not.  ???
Aye, the VC167 boys done good. Chapeau.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #7 on: 06 June, 2008, 08:45:29 am »

We did about 380+k: I thought the other team, EH12, from Scotlandland did just over 400, but apparently not.  ???

Ahh, it was probably they other boys result I saw in the Anywhere 400 list. I thought it was your team sorry. Do you know how far they logged ?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2008, 08:58:51 am »
6AM, SUNDAY? Thirsk? It'll be closed.....

You are more than welcome to stop at mine for coffee/toast/cake etc though on the Sunday morning (I live in Romanby, on the Thirsk side of Northallerton).
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #9 on: 06 June, 2008, 05:58:41 pm »

EH12 did do over 400, I think 407 and within the time limit :o but an admin. error only credited us with 300+ :P
However the mistake has now been corrected. Well done indead to the VC 167 team who got 427km on a very tough night.

6AM, SUNDAY? Thirsk? It'll be closed.....

You are more than welcome to stop at mine for coffee/toast/cake etc though on the Sunday morning (I live in Romanby, on the Thirsk side of Northallerton).

That is a very kind offer but it would be horribly early, could we get to York in 2 hours from your house??

Is there really nowhere open at that time near Thirsk??

tiermat

« Reply #10 on: 06 June, 2008, 06:52:36 pm »
York from here in 2 hours? easy there is a flat route.

Fraid not, it's not really changed since I grew up there (and I left home 20 years ago!)

Oh and don't worry about the time, I have a 4yr old so time is an abstract concept!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #11 on: 06 June, 2008, 10:13:04 pm »
York from here in 2 hours? easy there is a flat route.

Fraid not, it's not really changed since I grew up there (and I left home 20 years ago!)

Oh and don't worry about the time, I have a 4yr old so time is an abstract concept!

Thank you very much Tiermat this offer is just too good to refuse :D

Maybe we can discuss finer details by PM or Phone??

tiermat

« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2008, 04:35:18 pm »
No problem, you have PM (or will have shortly)

y lee g

« Reply #13 on: 08 June, 2008, 04:04:10 pm »
Thanks for the kind offer Tiermat.  Ernst - get that rendezvous sorted!

I'm looking forward to revisting the scene of Hibernian Exiles elegant "Frankie Dettori meets Riverdance" style dismount from his bike on a cattlegrid in Garsdale.