Author Topic: Irish Mail roll call  (Read 17573 times)

Maladict

Re: Irish Mail roll call
« Reply #50 on: 29 May, 2008, 08:23:11 pm »
I probably won't be there either as I've been feeling a bit tired this week and probably need a rest.  :'(

JohnHamilton

« Reply #51 on: 29 May, 2008, 09:52:54 pm »
That's a shame. Weather forecast for SHrewsbury is 20C, sunny with a light north westerly.

frere yacker

« Reply #52 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:12:08 am »
It's looking unlikely that I'll be there.  I've picked up a bug; suspect due to doing to much riding in recent weeks.  Gutted, as I've been looking forward to the Irish Mail all year.

« Reply #53 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:28:17 am »
Uh oh.  Everyone seems to be dropping like flies at the moment.  Andy thinks he's got something so I'm not sure if he is going to ride either.  Not sure what I should do really.  I haven't ridden more than 30 miles solo for about 8 months.

Martin

« Reply #54 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:42:04 am »
Just packed the sleeping bag in the SQR and attached it to the bike; no room for bonk rations on the A5 now...

Out of interest how does the arrowy bit after Lake Bala compare to the Bedd- Pen y Pass road? (the only experience I have of hills in the area)

JohnHamilton

« Reply #55 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:48:16 am »
Uh oh.  Everyone seems to be dropping like flies at the moment.  Andy thinks he's got something so I'm not sure if he is going to ride either.  Not sure what I should do really.  I haven't ridden more than 30 miles solo for about 8 months.

I've always found it much harder going from solo to tandem than the other way round. So as long as you can remember to brake and steer I wouldn't worry. And at least you wouldn't be far away from home if you DNF.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #56 on: 30 May, 2008, 10:55:21 am »
Out of interest how does the arrowy bit after Lake Bala compare to the Bedd- Pen y Pass road? (the only experience I have of hills in the area)

Much harder. Beddgelert to Pen y Pass is a nice well graded climb on a smooth main road which only climbs 350m. Vyrnwy - Bala - Trawsfynydd takes you over lumpy little mountain roads to two 500m+ summits on a succession of 1:6 climbs. I reckon this leg and the following one to Llanberis is about the same as the middle 100k of The Elenith by comparison.

Martin

« Reply #57 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:04:31 am »
The only bits of The Elenith I found really hard were the Devil's Stair, the one just after and Ysbytw Ystwyth; and they are all more then 1/6 from memory.

« Reply #58 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:07:59 am »
The Pen-y-Pass road was easier than the bits that went before it IMO.

Maladict

« Reply #59 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:11:41 am »
Looks that way from the profile I got when plotting out the route on the GPS.

I am definitely not starting after spending a lot of time last night on the loo.

I am almost 4kg lighter right now than the day after the BCM.

Martin

« Reply #60 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:13:04 am »
The Pen-y-Pass road was easier than the bits that went before it IMO.

It was easier than most of the BCM that went before it too. I'm going to take it nice and easy to Coed y Brenin; but psychologically it looks like the Menai Bridge is where you've broken the back of the ride.

« Reply #61 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:17:13 am »
I wouldn't know I didn't get that far in 2007 !!!  I lost my jersey in Coed-y-Brenin visitor centre.

iakobski

« Reply #62 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:23:26 am »
I'll be there - hope I'm not the only one!

I won't be riding to the start, tho' - I've a fair bit of sleep debt this week, also if I take a whole w/e now I probably won't get another one for a long time...

Jasmine - the forecast looks near perfect for a ride in Wales, should be the easiest ride of the year!

JohnHamilton

« Reply #63 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:26:30 am »
... but psychologically it looks like the Menai Bridge is where you've broken the back of the ride.

Pen y Pass seemed to be the deciding point last year. Everyone who made it past Llanberis finished.

Martin

« Reply #64 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:29:29 am »
another milestone where I've not been for over 10 years is Llyn Ogwen on the A5 by Tryfan; can I expect to get there before dark?

JohnHamilton

« Reply #65 on: 30 May, 2008, 11:59:47 am »
another milestone where I've not been for over 10 years is Llyn Ogwen on the A5 by Tryfan; can I expect to get there before dark?

Should be reasonable. I made it almost to Bangor before dark when I checked the route and I didn't start until 7am and was somewhat slower through the controls than I would be normally.

« Reply #66 on: 30 May, 2008, 12:52:48 pm »
The hot and cold flushes of my nasty little bug seem to have passed now, but still feeling a tad weak.  Will head for Shrewsbury and see how I feel in the morrow...

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

Martin

« Reply #67 on: 30 May, 2008, 02:52:11 pm »
Just leaving now; see anyone who's still left on the start list in the morning; Yellow Ribble with an SQR

« Reply #68 on: 30 May, 2008, 02:52:35 pm »
Really looking forward to this one tomorrow, even if it is the longest ride I will have done for many, many years.

Just a little apprehensive of the amount of climbing involved, but will take it very steady from Vyrnwy to Llanberis and hopefully shouldnt be too bad after there.

Weather looks good as well which will be a nice welcome change.

RR should follow on Monday.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #69 on: 30 May, 2008, 04:24:56 pm »

Shame we won't have the magnificent waterfalls which were a feature of last year's ride.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #70 on: 30 May, 2008, 04:44:26 pm »

Shame we won't have the magnificent waterfalls which were a feature of last year's ride.

They will be far from dry.  There were heavy thunder showers in this part of the world last night, so it should still be trickling out of the hills tomorrow.

AC

« Reply #71 on: 30 May, 2008, 04:46:10 pm »
It was the washes across the roads and rivers on the descents that was the problem last year.

« Reply #72 on: 01 June, 2008, 10:46:48 am »
Well, we went, despite my having been ill immediately before, we rode the route as far as Llanfair PG and at 180km we bailed.  It was a hot and beautiful day out there, and we had both really enjoyed the fast run from Shrewsbury to Vyrynwy.  The climb over Bwlch y Groes was steep in places, but we made steady time out to Llanuwchllyn and on up the 2nd of the big ascents towards Trawsfynydd via the road of a thousand gates (I think there were 5 actually).

We arrived at Coed-y-Brenin in a reasonable time and after a bite to eat were soon heading North past King Arthur's Castle (or the power station to you English tourists...).  A slightly different route down the valley to Maentwrog and we were soon on the valley floor taking the turning for Rhyd and what turned out to be a significant climb that kept on going up.  We plodded on and eventually found ourselves at the foot of the Pen-y-Pass climb familiar to us from the BCM two weeks earlier, but resplendent in rather more sunshine than when we were last acquainted with it.  We had a few niggling problems here.  Our map trap is a big mofo and kept getting in the way of Jasmine's legs preventing us from standing and honking.  We had both mis-managed our water and failed to fill at Coed-y-Brenin so were pretty dehydrated by the top.  We plodded on up the climb, managing to resist the roadside ice cream van and eventually took the left turn to take us to the summit.  The low point here was struggling to overtake a red sock who appeared to be hiking at around our speed up the main road.  We eventually passed him though and crested the pass to our mutual relief.

We descended with a little more care than on our last visit (we lost the back end for a couple of seconds on the BCM) and somewhat slowed by a strong headwind eventually made it to Pete's Eats in Llanberis for a little food and much liquid.

The road from Llanberis to Bangor ought to be down hill, but as we well know it isn't.  We pressed on though and eventually got to Y Felinheli and the one final climb before crossing the Menai.  In Llanfair PG, we took a comfort stop and took stock.  I had a really bad knee and was generally aching a lot more than I ought to be after only riding 180km, I think this is largely a function of my riding so soon after being unwell and my own stupid thought.  Application of deep heat gel did nothing to ease the discomfort, but I was prepared to press on a little further at least to get Jasmine to her solo bike on the other side of the island and to allow her to carry on.  Jasmine appeared to have a mild case of heatstroke, was exhausted and had a number of other aches and pains.  I also think that Jasmine had had a hard time trying to make up for my weakness relative to usual form.

Ultimately, we decided to bail.  It's only a bike ride, we weren't enjoying it anymore and we didn't want to do any lasting damage to our respective bodies.  We crawled back to Bangor, go hold of some carrier bags from Morrisons and decoupled the tandem before heading back to Shrewsbury via train (despite Jasmine living on Angelsey, we still had to retrieve the car).  Fully sectionned, we managed to fit the various bits of tandem into the trains luggage rack, which was just as well as the bike racks were all full.  We made it to Shrewsbury in the daylight, opted for a taxi out to Upton Magna as we'd both stiffened up and after a brief chat to John H and partner were soon on our way home.

Hope some of the others have slightly better stories to tell.  This was a well-planned, well-organised ride, and I hope to have another go some time.

AC

iakobski

« Reply #73 on: 01 June, 2008, 04:25:13 pm »
Bad luck Andy/Jasmine - when I saw you crossing the Menai Bridge towards me I thought you were making good time, I didn't twig you'd left Llanberis not much before us.

« Reply #74 on: 01 June, 2008, 06:05:18 pm »
Yes, if we were that fast, we'd have covered the 100 km to Holyhead and back in about 45 minutes.  I knew how bad we were when we climbed the small hill into Bangor from the bridge.  We went up that hill at about half the speed I would normally go up it, even slower than when I was recovering from a knee injury earlier in the year.