Author Topic: [HAMR] Jan 26th  (Read 8482 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
Re: Jan 26th
« Reply #50 on: 27 January, 2015, 10:11:18 am »
I was trying to point out that a single day is of very limited value -- see jsabine points about keys, access etc etc , and I was  thinking in terms of someone around MK thinking   "" Well I can do a day"".

But clearly anyone able to do a 2 or 3  night stint in one go -- who also has a background understanding of what Steve actually needs when he gets home -- that is valuable -- in fact it has already been done twice.

So my original post was due to my thinking pattern looking at someone volunteering for just an odd day -- too complicated to sort out -- but do longer in a single chunk , or do longer with single days spread over 2 or 3 months  -

- YES PLEASE WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU

Roger
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #51 on: 27 January, 2015, 10:22:06 am »
A couple of interesting stats worked out in the middle of the night when the insomnia kicked in.
As of close of play yesterday, Both Steve and Kurt had much smaller standard deviations from their averages than Tommy (i.e. they are both much more consistant).
Tommy's St Dev to date is 34 miles (22.4%), Steve is 17.9 miles (9.82%) and Kurts is 13.1 miles (6.83%).
The fact that Kurt has mobile back up and can presumably stop at random explains why his is so low, but Steve's consistancy given that he needs to get to a "base" every night is remarkable.

I would assume Tommy would have had more problem with ice/untreated road surfaces that may have curtailed some days in winter.  A few of his days were quite low on miles, which would have increased his standard deviation.  Also, he didn't have the advantage of modern levels of weather forecasting, so was more likely to have caught a few headwind days.  It looks like Steve is heading to Dorset today because of impending bad weather further north.  That accuracy of forecasting would not have been available to Tommy.

I reckon you are spot on there CET  :thumbsup:

Cycling Daddy

• "We shall have an adventure by and by," said Don Q
« Reply #52 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:55:50 pm »
JAnuary 1939 was colder than normal and there were floods at the end of the month.  http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/media/pdf/a/7/Jan1939.pdf
Too much sanity may be madness. And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.”
― Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra, Don Quixote

« Reply #53 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:02:34 pm »
I was trying to point out that a single day is of very limited value -- see jsabine points about keys, access etc etc , and I was  thinking in terms of someone around MK thinking   "" Well I can do a day"".

But clearly anyone able to do a 2 or 3  night stint in one go -- who also has a background understanding of what Steve actually needs when he gets home -- that is valuable -- in fact it has already been done twice.

So my original post was due to my thinking pattern looking at someone volunteering for just an odd day -- too complicated to sort out -- but do longer in a single chunk , or do longer with single days spread over 2 or 3 months  -

- YES PLEASE WE WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU

Roger

I understand the volunteer commitment bit.   I do a similar job for a chap who did the Edinburgh Fringe last year and we're going back this year.   A month of babysitting the chap.

Would love to help but I'm busy until September at the earliest.   Perhaps put a reminder in your calendar and get in touch later in the year Roger?

« Reply #54 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:16:53 pm »
Perhaps put a reminder in your calendar and get in touch later in the year Roger?

Or perhaps you could put a reminder in your calendar to get in touch with FidgetBuzz later in the year, as he's probably frantically busy making sure no boozahol appears in the background of photos as it is!

TGS

« Reply #55 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:32:12 pm »
It's actually Mike Wallis you need to contact, via http://oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/team

Edit  -  or Lesley Sung for Home Helps

« Reply #56 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:45:33 pm »
Thanks for the very helpful response TGS.    :)

The links on the website are not working for me now but as I don't need them now I won't worry about that.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #57 on: 27 January, 2015, 03:07:51 pm »
Careful YACF members -- I am just the money man -- OK I post on here as I try to keep you as informed as I can -- most of the rest of the team are not YACF posters -- ( and they probably have jobs as well - which limits their time ) - but as TGS has pointed out Mike Wallis is hostmaster and Lesley Sung is home based supremo.  Roger
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #58 on: 27 January, 2015, 03:10:08 pm »
There are people interested in cycling who don't post to YACF? I had never realised this.

« Reply #59 on: 27 January, 2015, 03:33:22 pm »
Thanks Roger.