Author Topic: [HAMR] What does Steve eat during the day?  (Read 3309 times)

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
[HAMR] What does Steve eat during the day?
« on: 28 October, 2015, 08:29:34 am »
I have just looked at Steve's track on Starva yesterday and he only stopped for about 30 minutes where there is an Esso garage and a Little Chef. I have to eat on the bike every 20 minutes when riding. I just wonder what does Steve eat all day? Does he have super sized rear pockets to get all that food in? Or does he go hungry until a multi-pie food binge that lasts him until the end of the day?

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

hillbilly

Re: What does Steve eat during the day?
« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2015, 09:19:24 am »
I imagine Steve will go bankrupt if the Liberatti introduce a sugar and fat tax.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2015, 10:10:16 am »
I have just looked at Steve's track on Starva yesterday and he only stopped for about 30 minutes where there is an Esso garage and a Little Chef. I have to eat on the bike every 20 minutes when riding. I just wonder what does Steve eat all day?

::-) ::-)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2015, 10:37:31 am »
I have just looked at Steve's track on Starva yesterday and he only stopped for about 30 minutes where there is an Esso garage and a Little Chef. I have to eat on the bike every 20 minutes when riding. I just wonder what does Steve eat all day?

::-) ::-)
I didn't spot that  ;D

@BB
Steve doesn't eat constantly, like you do (and most pros). I've ridden a couple of 600s with him as a witness.

I believe he's changed his lunch-stop strategy in the last month-ish to reduce time off the bike, but before that he was mainly having massive breakfast, then a massive lunch. Negligible snacking in-between. Very much "proper food", not sports products.

He's veeeeery fat-adapted, so doesn't need to shovel in calories every few minutes, especially at the low intensity he rides at.
Have you watched the recent interview he did with Idai?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2015, 11:09:03 am »
He's veeeeery fat-adapted, so doesn't need to shovel in calories every few minutes, especially at the low intensity he rides at.
Have you watched the recent interview he did with Idai?
I know he is fat adapted I have sat with him when I had a pasty and a pint of milk and he had a block of cheese. If you look at the Strava page it was about 7 hours before the food stop. That is amazing.

Am the only one wondering where the vitamins and minerals are coming from? A typical high fat diet is typically low in these, and his consumption of these should be very high as he needs them for recovery and repair.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2015, 11:31:40 am »
I'm nowhere near as 'trained' as Steve and for my most recent long ride, on Sunday (Suffolk to Herts) over Steve-esque terrain, I stopped to eat at Saffron Walden after 4hr 43 minutes (103km).
Seven hours before a food stop isn't that amazing- I often go more than seven hours between meals, and Steve is working at a pretty low heart rate.
There's an awful lot of research showing that there's absolutely no need for constant feeding of carbs while riding-especially if you're not at high intensity.
I don't wonder where the vitamins and minerals are coming from. He's drinking protein shakes which are fortified, and he's eating real food.
A 'typical' high fat diet is full of processed foods. My diet's full fat (60% of calories from fat) but it doesn't feature doughnuts- that fat is from meat & dairy & nuts where it's bundled with minerals and proteins, and it's accompanied by plenty of vegetables.
Steve's not stupid, and he's got advice. I think he's doing alright.

« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2015, 11:32:45 am »
I think he must snack as he's riding. 

In Idai's video, Steve's cupboard was stacked with packets of 9Bars, which are very tasty and good nutritionally.  Whatever he's doing it's keeping him going at the mo' and there was recently a call out on his Facebook page for anyone that knows a good sports nutritionalist to give some advice going forward.
DJR (Dave Russell) now retired. Carbon Beone parts bin special retired to turbo trainer, Brompton broken, as was I, Whyte Suffolk dismantled and sold. Now have Mason Definition and Orbea M20i.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #7 on: 28 October, 2015, 11:53:16 am »
I don't wonder where the vitamins and minerals are coming from. He's drinking protein shakes which are fortified, and he's eating real food.
A 'typical' high fat diet is full of processed foods. My diet's full fat (60% of calories from fat) but it doesn't feature doughnuts- that fat is from meat & dairy & nuts where it's bundled with minerals and proteins, and it's accompanied by plenty of vegetables.
Steve's not stupid, and he's got advice. I think he's doing alright.
I do wonder about the real food bit. Just worrying about nothing  ??? I have been to the Little Chef and many garage forecourts before and there was little sign of real food. Also protein shakes while having added vitamins have nowhere near the variety found in real food. On one recent video he had a food shake and a microwave meal. Neither of these count as real food IMHO. In the videos and when I met Steve in the summer it is fast food all the time. Big Mac and fried chicken, both not noted for the vitamins and minerals, also if he is stopping for only 30 minutes that is not enough time to order, get served and eat proper food. It takes more time, unless he has a support car that does a line in roast dinners  :thumbsup:

BB

« Reply #8 on: 28 October, 2015, 12:12:16 pm »
I have to eat on the bike every 20 minutes when riding.

Srsly? Is that racing or just riding? It sounds like an awful lot.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 28 October, 2015, 01:11:21 pm »
I seem to recall that Steve likes V8 vegetable juice. That's pretty rich in minerals and might contain some vitamins.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #10 on: 28 October, 2015, 01:27:33 pm »
Is Steve still heavily into sausages as food for breakfast and the back pocket? If so, has his team made him aware of the dietary advice re avoiding too much processed meat in the WHO report in the news this week?
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 28 October, 2015, 01:55:06 pm »
Is Steve still heavily into sausages as food for breakfast and the back pocket? If so, has his team made him aware of the dietary advice re avoiding too much processed meat in the WHO report in the news this week?

http://newsthump.com/2015/10/26/joy-of-bacon-sandwich-overrides-cancer-risk-says-everyone/

(my view would be that 1 Year of eating something that slightly raises a small risk is not worth worrying about in the Grand Scheme. Just MHO of course!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #12 on: 28 October, 2015, 02:34:09 pm »

http://newsthump.com/2015/10/26/joy-of-bacon-sandwich-overrides-cancer-risk-says-everyone/

(my view would be that 1 Year of eating something that slightly raises a small risk is not worth worrying about in the Grand Scheme. Just MHO of course!)

Especially if you spend that year doing very little except exercise,
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #13 on: 28 October, 2015, 03:30:28 pm »
I have to eat on the bike every 20 minutes when riding.

Srsly? Is that racing or just riding? It sounds like an awful lot.
careful when I say eat - it means about 200 calories in an hour on Audax. That is three goes at a bar. I tend not to use energy drinks.

So sort of nibbling a lot never large amounts on the bike.

BB

« Reply #14 on: 28 October, 2015, 03:39:17 pm »
also if he is stopping for only 30 minutes that is not enough time to order, get served and eat proper food.

quite easy to demolish a carvery in that amount of time, at a Toby or such as its always cooked and ready to go

hillbilly

« Reply #15 on: 28 October, 2015, 03:41:27 pm »
The correct answer is, of course,

Steve eats miles during the day.

And sometimes chews through them at night as well.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #16 on: 28 October, 2015, 04:24:33 pm »
The correct answer is, of course,

Steve eats miles during the day.

And sometimes chews through them at night as well.

^ ^ ^ Where's the "Like" button
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

« Reply #17 on: 28 October, 2015, 06:16:11 pm »
It's surprising how many Muller Rice a hungry adult can swallow in half an hour.
Available at all good gas stations.
 :thumbsup:

He'll need one of these.
https://www.alpkit.com/products/snapwire-spoon?gclid=CIDE5q_j5cgCFcHGGwodpeoMFg

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 28 October, 2015, 08:54:09 pm »
Müller rice are easy to open but rather pricy for the content.
Drinking Ambrosia might be more heavenly.

« Reply #19 on: 28 October, 2015, 09:29:23 pm »
Müller rice are easy to open but rather pricy for the content.
Drinking Ambrosia might be more heavenly.

Food of the gods.  :thumbsup:

Tepid Heinz 'chunky' vegetable soup. Felt 'second hand' to me  :sick:

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #20 on: 29 October, 2015, 07:10:17 am »
Hi,

Does what we are doing count as stalking?

Just looked at Steve's track for yesterday. Two stops both at garages. Pies, Scotch Eggs, sandwiches and crisps?

Mind you there a bloke at work who only ever eats meat, chips and some times fish. He has been known to eat cake and baked beans (but not on the same plate) he is still going strong, just as Steve is. So maybe all the diet stuff is just nonsense and I have been eating salad and vegetables for nothing ???

BB

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #21 on: 29 October, 2015, 07:54:00 am »

Just looked at Steve's track for yesterday. Two stops both at garages. Pies, Scotch Eggs, sandwiches and crisps?

Mind you there a bloke at work who only ever eats meat, chips and some times fish. He has been known to eat cake and baked beans (but not on the same plate) he is still going strong, just as Steve is. So maybe all the diet stuff is just nonsense and I have been eating salad and vegetables for nothing ???

BB

I suppose it is one thing asking the question, but another saying 'why is he doing that, because I do this'. He's doing a challenge that in this country only he is doing.
It is simpler than it looks.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #22 on: 29 October, 2015, 10:23:30 am »
Hi,

BB
He does eat at home as well - usually food cooked by someone less knackered than him!
Don't underestimate the food available at "garages". (Little Chefs certainly sell proper meals with veg-n-stuff). They do posh salads in pots, pies/sandwiches can be mostly salad; get one with a M&S or Co-op franchise in and there will be pretty decent ready meals, fresh fruit, yada yada.

Or he may just be eating sausages. We just don't know!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------