Author Topic: Replacing an electric shower  (Read 10102 times)

Re: Replacing an electric shower
« Reply #50 on: 06 November, 2016, 10:14:19 pm »
But since we harmonised, changing wiring colours in 2004, we then introduced Part P in 2005...  it would be a fair assumption that if you find harmonised cabling in a house it should have a certificate.

Is that so?
I thought[he says tentatively] that cable replacement of an already existing circuit [because of damage etc] was non-notifiable as regards Part P?

The regs surprise you sometimes. I'd always assumed it's an absolute no-no to have 13amp socket outlets in a room with a bath. Now I see that the 17th edition permits such things, providing the socket is more than 3m horizontally away from the edge of zone 1. In my bathroom 3m would take you well into the bedroom and into the living room the other!
Garry Broad

« Reply #51 on: 03 December, 2016, 05:52:47 pm »
Finally got around to doing this.   Plumbing was no problem,  squeezing the Wagu connectors in was a pain but I got them in the main enclosure. 

Only issue was the curved trim piece that's supposed to cover the water pipe ingress.  The pipe came in right at the corner so I  had to cut that bit of. Looks a bit untidy  :(

It works & I've had a decently hot shower  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #52 on: 03 December, 2016, 07:29:00 pm »
Wagu connectors eh? Some expensive hand made Japanese iteration of Wago perchance ?  ;D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #53 on: 03 December, 2016, 07:43:34 pm »
Well marbled & beer fattened...... no that's me !
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #54 on: 19 December, 2016, 11:02:25 pm »
But since we harmonised, changing wiring colours in 2004, we then introduced Part P in 2005...  it would be a fair assumption that if you find harmonised cabling in a house it should have a certificate.

Is that so?
I thought[he says tentatively] that cable replacement of an already existing circuit [because of damage etc] was non-notifiable as regards Part P?

The regs surprise you sometimes. I'd always assumed it's an absolute no-no to have 13amp socket outlets in a room with a bath. Now I see that the 17th edition permits such things, providing the socket is more than 3m horizontally away from the edge of zone 1. In my bathroom 3m would take you well into the bedroom and into the living room the other!

With every revision of the regs the IET seem to tighten up on bathroom safety, while in the rest of Europe the world people seem to survive having mains sockets in the smallest of bathrooms. Be interesting to know if there's any stats to back up the UK's approach.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #55 on: 20 December, 2016, 12:16:57 am »
What's the ruling on a 16A Ceeform socket in a bathroom?  That would seem eminently sensible for a washing machine...