Author Topic: Recommend a beard trimmer revisited  (Read 5893 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Recommend a beard trimmer revisited
« on: 08 January, 2017, 08:19:16 pm »
Bloody choice = mega confusion ::-)

Decided to become yet another lazy old git (almost 63 years old) cos fed up with scratching/shaving me mush

Currently training a partial beard - see photo. Want to let the below chin part grow long and straggly - for that 'artisitc' look :D

Which battery operated gizmo will keep me happy? Any or all of them?

Should this post be in the Pub's First-World Problems?

Re: Reccommend a beard trimmer revisited
« Reply #1 on: 08 January, 2017, 10:13:37 pm »
After struggling for years with various Lidl/Aldi special hair trimmers, I got a "Philips BT7202/13 Series 7000 Beard and Stubble Trimmer with Integrated Vacuum System".

Delighted with it, well worth the £42.75 to Amazon.

First off cut everything at 2mm which was very nearly back to ground zero, now at 3.5mm once a week.  The dial length can be easily changed during a trim session.

« Reply #3 on: 09 January, 2017, 08:31:22 am »
scissors to keep rogue beard hairs in control and to trim the tash level.

Razor to keep the cheeks trimmed.

don't bother with a trimmer, especially as hair gets longer. It ruins the hair ends and can cause splitting. Sharp, good quality scissors!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 09 January, 2017, 08:42:00 am »
^^^largely agree but being lazy I use a trimmer all the same, a should-be-rechargeable Philips bought ~20 yrs ago. Should-be because Philips used NiMH cells which stopped holding a charge after about 5 minutes and the effort needed to open casing would more likely break it so I use it on mains.

Anyway, re hair ends: after a trim a lot of them have been transformed into little hooks that then catch in your collar and pull. Ouch.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 09 January, 2017, 09:47:13 am »
-1 for Phillips. Batteries fail to hold a proper charge after a year or so. That QT4090/32 Turbo Vacuum one was good while it lasted, though. Which wasn't long...

ian

« Reply #6 on: 09 January, 2017, 10:31:37 am »
I'm still using the Wahl head trimmer, which is good because it's the professional one and has power enough to shave a porcupine never mind a measly human beard (no faff with batteries, this beast is serious and requires a direct interlink into the national grid). The downside is that the number 3 comb is a bit a faff around my tiny little face and I'm not allowed scissors. Fortunately the gap between upper lip and nose is about the same as a number 3, so moustache taming seems mostly OK as I can just run the naked trimmer across the moustache-lip interface.

« Reply #7 on: 09 January, 2017, 10:58:31 am »
just grow it all, ignore any comments from boys who can't deliver the goods.

once a tash reaches a couple of inches, it's less faff than a short one. A simple side brush and it's sorted.
You will however have the Catweazel look without a full beard and a long tash :o
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #8 on: 10 January, 2017, 09:52:44 am »
scissors to keep rogue beard hairs in control and to trim the tash level.
Razor to keep the cheeks trimmed.
don't bother with a trimmer, especially as hair gets longer. It ruins the hair ends and can cause splitting. Sharp, good quality scissors!

I think you're right :thumbsup:

Why on earth does one default to acquiring yet more gadgetry to poke in the wall/suck up national grid connectivity, when the simple solution has been around a while ::-)

« Reply #9 on: 10 January, 2017, 10:25:39 am »
I hate seeing a barber 'cut' a beard with an electric trimmer.

oldskool rocks it :thumbsup:

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #10 on: 10 January, 2017, 10:33:58 am »
Philips for me.

I was so impressed with their hair-trimmer that I binned my crappy Remington beard trimmer for the Philips.

Reason... you just dial in the length, no messing with different thickness "combs".

Edit.  Why have you Photoshopped your head onto a Chicken?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 10 January, 2017, 10:39:36 am »
Scissors. Once every 3 months or so. If I remember.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #12 on: 10 January, 2017, 02:24:43 pm »
Philips for me.

I was so impressed with their hair-trimmer that I binned my crappy Remington beard trimmer and bought the company.

I though you were going to type this ^^^

You are Victor Kiam IACMFP

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #13 on: 10 January, 2017, 04:07:49 pm »
Edit.  Why have you Photoshopped your head onto a Chicken?

And I thought it was an aged sacrificial fully honed CTC saddlebagged cyclists' body 8) ?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: Recommend a beard trimmer revisited
« Reply #14 on: 14 January, 2017, 04:58:11 pm »
After struggling for years with various Lidl/Aldi special hair trimmers, I got a "Philips BT7202/13 Series 7000 Beard and Stubble Trimmer with Integrated Vacuum System".

First off cut everything at 2mm which was very nearly back to ground zero, now at 3.5mm once a week.  The dial length can be easily changed during a trim session.

I have the same model and love it. And the vacuum feature does actually work which I was surprised by.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #15 on: 16 January, 2017, 08:25:03 am »

I have the same model and love it. And the vacuum feature does actually work which I was surprised by.
Not impressed, the vacuum bag is tiny, would take days to do a room. It's a con.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #16 on: 16 January, 2017, 10:15:05 am »
just grow it all, ignore any comments from boys who can't deliver the goods.

once a tash reaches a couple of inches, it's less faff than a short one. A simple side brush and it's sorted.
You will however have the Catweazel look without a full beard and a long tash :o

I've grown what my colleagues call a "hipster beard". I trained my tache, and used various waxes (clubman in chestnut was is my favourite). In the end, I got sick of getting food in it, and used this approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nc5FwkaqqDA

I'm using the new Philips oneblade thing 'cos it was cheap in waitrose one day I was finding my tache exceptionally annoying. It is great for shaving your legs.

http://www.philips.co.uk/c-m-pe/oneblade-face-style-and-shave?&&origin=|mckv|s11iLHPgD_dc&pcrid=172086823612|plid|&trackid=

« Reply #17 on: 16 January, 2017, 10:19:07 am »
You had hipster legs, too?

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #18 on: 24 January, 2017, 05:12:30 pm »
Many thanks for all the replies. I didn't realise I was opening myself up to such potential male groomy-ness. I do however live at the very end of a rough stony track protected by mountains (and no tele) rather than in a more populous world. Didn't know what a 'hipster' was until now ::-) Mind you in 1970 I used to wear low slung 'fashionable' waisted trousers, described thus 8)

This video however has inspired me

https://youtu.be/Oifjkzqyvjk

So are beards all about narcism? Or manly laziness when gone past a certain age?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #19 on: 25 January, 2017, 08:57:02 am »
So are beards all about narcism? Or mainly laziness when gone past a certain age?

My Wife said I was ugly without a beard*

*She actually said she liked me with a beard, but it amounts to the same thing if you read between the lines.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #20 on: 31 January, 2017, 08:26:25 pm »
Beards are about manliness and shouting hurrah!! Also quaffing, more shouting and the singing of certain songs. I am a member of a thing called Beard club on facebook. This happened in a pub after shouting with another chap who also had a beard. Also hats.
Stropping rocks

« Reply #21 on: 16 April, 2017, 03:40:05 pm »
Well I've found a good one. Braun BT5010. It hums instead of rattling, it has an adjustable lockable cut depth graduated from 1-10 in half steps, and the whole blade guard can easily be removed. Excellent.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #22 on: 16 April, 2017, 09:20:39 pm »
I’ve had quite a few, including the highest tech laser-guided, hydraulically activated, power this, hoover that jobs, finally ending up with what I was advised to get in the first place, a Wahl:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B013K0926E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The above is easily the best I have tried in terms of quality of cut. It’s like the ones you see at the barber, with a range of combs.

Battery life is excellent - weeks and weeks, if you can get away with one or two trims per week
Charging is remarkably fast (never needs more than an hour, I’d say).
The shaver attachment is not bad at all, though I rarely use it - as good as a dedicated electric shaver for the neck.
There’s also a mini trimmer attachment, a smaller version of the shaver, which is all I use now to tidy up the cheekbone / sideburn bits.