Author Topic: Salisbury - New Forest area?  (Read 1304 times)

Salisbury - New Forest area?
« on: 29 May, 2019, 11:35:33 am »
 I'm planning a circular ride from Winchester, via Salisbury & the New Forest.  I never been cycling in the NF and want to do a good dose of tracks (on 32mm tyres).   I'll probably take in Lyndhurst, though only really to find a cafe.   

Any recommendations re. routes / good bits / cafes?  This is what I have so far.  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30161208
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Salisbury - New Forest area?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May, 2019, 12:29:25 am »
I've not cycled that area much, but have driven bits of it a fair amount.

The tiny bit of the A3057 you've got coming out of King's Somborne includes a section which is uphill, and is likely to have accelerating motor traffic in combination with blind corners. If you're keen to hit up some rough surfaces, then it might be worth considering staying on the National Bridleway to turn North out of King's Somborne, then cutting across to join the old railway line trail to join back onto your proposed route at Horsebridge. The catch is Cow Drove Hill, but...

Other than that, the other main thing I notice is that your route already includes Carlo's Icecream in West Wellow  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 30 May, 2019, 07:42:43 am »
That short section on the A3057 coming south out of Kings Somborne before the turnoff to Horsebridge is fine as it is still in the 30mph restricted zone and the hill is short and not too steep. I use it quite a lot, in both directions.

Hugh

« Reply #3 on: 30 May, 2019, 09:09:09 am »
Thanks both.   I hadn't spotted Carlo's.   :)

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #4 on: 30 May, 2019, 09:14:39 am »
This audax DIY I did on the weekend had a nice route out of Salisbury which minimises riding on or next to the A36 https://ridewithgps.com/trips/35186038. Can't really comment on the rest of your route, I would love to ride the gravel tracks, I avoided most of them on Sunday, just don't have the right bike/tyres for it.

This is the New Forest perm that I rode a few years back that took in some lovely roads that might offer some ideas https://ridewithgps.com/trips/6509536.

We camped in the New Forest last summer and there was a cafe in Lyndhurst, I think it was Peggy May's, that did a lovely breakfast but it's on the high street and I'm not sure where you'd be able to park the bike.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5 on: 30 May, 2019, 09:20:48 am »
 There is a gravel track that runs from the 3057 to Horsebridge/Houghton but it’s been 30 years since I rode it  :jurek:   When are you planning the ride? I can check it next time I’m at my father’s.

« Reply #6 on: 30 May, 2019, 12:18:30 pm »
Thanks J & P.  I'll be on 'low' pressure 32mm tyres -  most of the NF tracks on streetview look pretty smooth.  Going to be this weekend.   :).   Testing out bike reservations  on Crosscountry rail, Oxf to Winchester. (£20 RTN seems pretty good).  Not going to do it as a DIY, as I may vary / shorten the route as I go.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #7 on: 30 May, 2019, 01:13:56 pm »
Won’t be down until after that I’m afraid

« Reply #8 on: 30 May, 2019, 03:14:18 pm »
No worries.  :)     The A36 approach to Salisbury wasnt the best, so have incorporated a JonB variation. 

« Reply #9 on: 02 June, 2019, 09:41:16 pm »