Author Topic: Trice Q try out....  (Read 6231 times)

Trice Q try out....
« on: 18 June, 2023, 06:04:46 pm »
Ok, dragging myself back out of the gutter,I've managed to qualify for PBP, but still haven't pulled the trigger quite yet. Indecision is hangin around....

But, if I do end up going, I've made a decision to retire my home build SWB...be nice to ride something else.

So...[and I'm under no illusion that this is not going to be easy, so I don't need to be reminded!!], but having always really liked tadpole trikes, but never ridden one, I'm borrowing a mates 15yr old [but with only about 2k miles on the clock] Trice Q to attempt the Flatlands 600 next weekend, as a potential trial for PBP. I'm fortunate that I don't need to get round in time, but I'll be making a concerted effort too.

The mesh seat was not comfortable at all, and the boom is fully extended, so I've spent the weekend making brackets and fitting one of my old homemade fibreglass seats. It feels much better, but boy, on account of taking it round a large car park today, I can see why they added suspension to these things! [this Trice Q is the pre-suspension, triple 406 wheel version] It's going to be a bone shaker alright!

I've taken the chain tubes off and made a chain retention bracket for the drive idler. The tyres are Kenda Quests. Not the best, but surprisingly I can see no evidence of sidewall deterioration at all, so I'll take my chances. I do have some [old] marathon racers here, so I'll take a couple as spares.

I've only a few days to finish all the fettling, but I was wondering how folk attach GPS devices to these things?
I'm used to having the navigation unit virtually under my nose on my SWB bikes, and they can be very difficult to see in strong sunlight.
I'll be using a bare bones track on an Etrex Legend HCX. I've seen nav units attached to the main frame, but that looks a fair distance away from what I'm used too. I'll sort something out.

Can't help thinking of dear Mr Larrington [and, I think, Silverback OTP] who found themselves in a pickle on account of the retaining bolt of the handlebars breaking causing detachment from the main frame. [If memory is working as it should?]. 

Relatively old as it is - these bikes are just so brilliant. I've always fancied having a go on one, so here we are.

And as for the ICE VTX......well...!
Garry Broad

Re: Trice Q try out....
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2023, 06:52:20 pm »
For GPS/Garmin, you either have a bar-end on the handle which you can mount it to, or you mount to the "stem" (potentially using an extender).
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2023, 07:10:58 pm »
For GPS/Garmin, you either have a bar-end on the handle which you can mount it to, or you mount to the "stem" (potentially using an extender).

Yeah thanks, this thing has got bar-end shifters, so some quick bodgy fabrication will be required before the weekend. I have loads of plastic pipe and zip ties!
I always have a route sheet [of course I do!], but it's quite important to have your Garmin easily accessible and convenient for 'messing about with'. At least it is in my experience!
Garry Broad

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2023, 07:11:15 pm »
Audax recumbents need fast tyres. Marathon Racers are not that. Small-wheel unsuspended trikes need fat tyres, minimum 40mm width, and low-ish pressures. If you do take the Trice to PBP, splash the cash for good tyres.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2023, 07:13:11 pm »
Audax recumbents need fast tyres. Marathon Racers are not that. Trikes need fat tyres, minimum 40mm width, and low-ish pressures. If you do take the Trice to PBP, splash the cash for good tyres.
That's good advice. What would you suggest LWB?

I'll have a read of this [probably can't get half these tyres now!]
and do some research
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=113399.0
Garry Broad

« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2023, 08:40:43 pm »
Topeak Bar extenders?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2023, 09:41:14 pm »
On my Streetmachine, I have the GPS mounted using a stem (which has some sort of extra accessory bar sticking out in what-would-normally-be-the-front of the handlebar clamp) clamped to the derailleur post so it points backward towards the rider.  It's just about readable, though I tend to use turn-by-turn navigation for extra visibility.

I reproduced this on barakta's ICE using an 'accessory bar' thing from SJS (had to spread the clamp a bit to make it fit) pointing upwards.  It's not great for reading the screen, but she doesn't use it for navigation (mostly just the e-bike console), and worked fairly well for battery lights back in the day.

The alternative would be either something clamped to the handlebars below the grip; maybe a stem cap bracket on a kingpost; or perhaps on the main tube between your legs (which probably isn't great for reading the screen without sitting forward?).

Basically a case of muck about to find the least-worst option that fits around your controls.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #7 on: 18 June, 2023, 09:47:06 pm »
Start with Schwalbe Big Apple 50-406 for English road surfaces. They might be overkill for French roads.

Continental Contact Urban 42-406 or 50-406 are reputedly a good combination of speed, durability and puncture resistance but I have not tried them.

Greenspeed Scorcher 40-406 are very quick but not particularly puncture resistant.

https://shop.ginkgo-veloteile.de/en/Wheel-Accessories/Tires-Tubes/Tires-406-mm/ might be useful to you.

Upright trikes are about 10-12% slower than upright bikes. Heavier + additional wind resistance. I don’t see why recumbent versions would be much different.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #8 on: 18 June, 2023, 10:40:16 pm »
The alternative would be either something clamped to the handlebars below the grip; maybe a stem cap bracket on a kingpost; or perhaps on the main tube between your legs (which probably isn't great for reading the screen without sitting forward?).

Basically a case of muck about to find the least-worst option that fits around your controls.

Yes, these would appear to be the two options.

It's a tight fit, but below the handlebar grip is probably where I'll go if I end up riding it further.

The main tube between the legs is going to be too low, but something extended from the main tube sticking up between the legs would work. But as you know, lifting yourself out of the bike is one of the ergonomic [not the right word] features on the these bikes. It would be a bit odd sticking something too high between your legs so as to make removing yourself some kind of gymnastic manoeuvre! Pardon my language, but there's probably a sweet spot there somewhere, as regards height so that when you lift yourself up [and down again], nothing gets too tangled up! It's probably the easiest thing to rig up in the time I have.

Thanks.
Garry Broad

« Reply #9 on: 19 June, 2023, 04:26:20 am »
Play around with your tyre pressure to try and find if there's a sweet spot between soft and slow vs hard and harsh.
I find it's around 60 psi on my trike.
The other thing is I run different tyres front/back on my tadpole trike.
Front punctures are easy to fix as you don't need to remove a wheel. So I run a nice light tyre on my  front wheel. The risk of a puncture is upped slightly due to tyre weight but it also absorbs more of the road buzz at the right pressure.
While rear punctures are just a PITA to fix. So I run something heavier that has slightly more puncture resistance than the light front tyres. It will not absorb as much road buzz as a lighter tyres but the improved puncture resistance more than makes up for this.

Luck .........

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #10 on: 21 June, 2023, 07:23:38 pm »

I've had those thoughts as well, as a (very) fast tourer, but don't have £5k tucked away down the side of the sofa

I'm also very unclear on their rack potential
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #11 on: 21 June, 2023, 09:07:44 pm »

I've had those thoughts as well, as a (very) fast tourer, but don't have £5k tucked away down the side of the sofa

ICE just sold an ex-demo VTX on Ebay for £1470. How old exactly, I'm not sure. It's been around for a while now, hasn't it?
I saw it late...too late really to give it any consideration. Bit silly buying something you've not ridden at all. Or is it? :-)

edit: I've rigged up a foldable Garmin holder that's attached to the main tube - it folds up between your legs to put the Garmin about 400mm from your face and then folds down when you want to get off the bike. It is rather cool, if I say so myself, but there is a big question around durability [as in even getting to the first control in one piece!]
It's made of 40mm and 32mm push fit waste pipe - which is basically saying it's made of cheese. Soft cheese at that!
Garry Broad

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #12 on: 21 June, 2023, 09:25:15 pm »

edit: I've rigged up a foldable Garmin holder that's attached to the main tube - it folds up between your legs to put the Garmin about 400mm from your face and then folds down when you want to get off the bike. It is rather cool, if I say so myself, but there is a big question around durability [as in even getting to the first control in one piece!]
It's made of 40mm and 32mm push fit waste pipe - which is basically saying it's made of cheese. Soft cheese at that!

Any photos :)

« Reply #13 on: 21 June, 2023, 09:29:22 pm »

See what I can do.....[have to sort a drop box account of something...hang on]

Not sure if this will work..
photos
Garry Broad

ElyDave

« Reply #14 on: 21 June, 2023, 10:06:40 pm »

ICE just sold an ex-demo VTX on Ebay for £1470. How old exactly, I'm not sure. It's been around for a while now, hasn't it?
I saw it late...too late really to give it any consideration. Bit silly buying something you've not ridden at all. Or is it? :-)

I did something like that on my M5 to hold a rear light - attached to the headrest, actually seemed to work OK.

My main problem this evening, putting away the Airnimal after using it for commuting duties, dyno light working great.  Thought I'd spin up the rear wheel on the S40 for fun - nothing.  Dunwich dynamo weekend after next, nephew's engagement next weekend, have I got time for electrical fault tracing?  I've barely got time to scratch my arse!

May be Plan B - ride the Faran, instead.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #15 on: 22 June, 2023, 12:51:29 am »

See what I can do.....[have to sort a drop box account of something...hang on]

Not sure if this will work..
photos

Not on my fondleslab it doesn’t chiz.  's like Bandcamp; insisting I need to update my browser even when it’s on the most recent version available.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #16 on: 22 June, 2023, 07:03:47 am »
Not on my fondleslab it doesn’t chiz.  's like Bandcamp; insisting I need to update my browser even when it’s on the most recent version available.
Seems hardly worth it for a bit of plastic pipe, but this might work

[edit: can't help thinking of you Dave and your audax endeavours since I borrowed this Trice.....did you get your XL sorted in the end? [sheered handlebar bolt?]]
Garry Broad

« Reply #17 on: 22 June, 2023, 07:27:33 am »
On my XL I mount the GPS on the right hand handlebar, on the bar sticking out under the grip (equivalent to where you have the bell on the left), with the little bar swung to be pointing outwards. Normal Garmin mount when outdoors, RAM mount and X-Grip for my phone when on the turbo indoors. The position isn't as good as your plastic pipe one, but it is pretty stable.

« Reply #18 on: 22 June, 2023, 07:34:12 am »
Seems hardly worth it for a bit of plastic pipe, but this might work

[edit: can't help thinking of you Dave and your audax endeavours since I borrowed this Trice.....did you get your XL sorted in the end? [sheered handlebar bolt?]]

It needs a urinal arrangement plumbing into it so that you can pee on the move to save time ;)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #19 on: 22 June, 2023, 07:40:26 am »
Have you actually tried it yet, might wobble to much to read it. Possibly some version of  the last photo, less tall, and braced against the derailleur post.

« Reply #20 on: 22 June, 2023, 07:58:31 am »
It needs a urinal arrangement plumbing into it so that you can pee on the move to save time ;)

Someone on this forum once called me a 'pikey'  ;)
Don't give me ideas!

Have you actually tried it yet, might wobble to much to read it.
Quite, was my thinking too.
There will be lots of vibration, but I'll be vibrating too, so should be synchronized!
And no, I haven't tried it yet, quick bodge, I'll try it on the day  :)

With the same pipe, I've also made a 'stand' [cough] to jack up the back wheel 100mm or so [with front brakes on] to facilitate dealing with visitations.
Haven't tried that either :-)
Garry Broad

« Reply #21 on: 22 June, 2023, 09:40:46 am »
My main problem this evening, putting away the Airnimal after using it for commuting duties, dyno light working great.  Thought I'd spin up the rear wheel on the S40 for fun - nothing.  Dunwich dynamo weekend after next, nephew's engagement next weekend, have I got time for electrical fault tracing?  I've barely got time to scratch my arse!
Well, as a first look would it make sense to plug the Airnimal lights into the dynohub on the S40 and see whether that works?  This would then tell you whether the hub is the issue (assuming you don't rock the multimeter electrickery thang).
If it does work then it's a wiring issue and you just need to trace that - most likely the run to the front light as (ass_U_ME_ing usual dyno wiring) the rear runs off the front - but you could check that in less than a minute by unplugging the back.
Again, I am ass_U_ME_ing that you have to run extra long dyno cable to connect the front light to the rear dynamo, so the likelihood is that you need to swap that out - but removing the front light and then plugging it directly into the rear hub is a 5 min job.

I reckon you could get it done in 10 mins, it's the "sourcing new rear dynamo cable + ends + soldering" which would be the faff - were it needed.
(click to show/hide)

ElyDave

« Reply #22 on: 22 June, 2023, 10:46:17 pm »
see my post in teh knolidge, I reckon it's something to do with the USB Werk, which I fully intend to remove as an example of a never fully functioning waste of money

« Reply #23 on: 26 June, 2023, 05:46:09 pm »
short update....

I managed [with no sleep and 4 mins to spare at the finish] to get round the Flatlands 600 on the Trice over the weekend.
SWB recumbents are not news to me, but trikes are so it was still quite an adventure riding a recumbent trike for the first time.
I really enjoyed trying something different [and professionally built lol]

Hardly news to all you seasoned trike riders, but a couple of observations....

Firstly, I was initally concerned about how I was going to keep all three tyres and tubes from yielding big holes and tears due to fights with pot holes, but Judith Swallow [HK otp] gave me some very useful and welcomes advice before we set off - 'steer with the boom, keep your rear wheel out of trouble and don't worry quite so much what the front wheels are doing'. This proved to be invaluable right from the outset in having some kind of guidance to work with. I spent the whole weekend quite fascinated how the front wheels, due to a lack of direct heavy weight pressing down on them were able to bounce out of mischief when it came their way.
[Does anybody know what the model number is for these Sturmey Archer single-sided brake hubs? I can't see anything visible on the casing. I think I'll need to service the hubs, the bearings have got some play.             

Balance and stability.  This has gradually become a bit of a big deal for me over the years. I can only think it down to exhaustion and fatigue, but after about 300km on the longer a general sense of balance, especially when climbing and moving off from a stationary position can become a bit problematic - as in literally falling off. This is not good and it gets very stressful. It reached a nadir last year on the FF600 with me ending up in a hedge with the bike on top of me. So what a joy it was to have this removed from the ride. A lot of brevets can occasionally cross busy A roads so being comfortable with a general sense of control over your bike is so important. 

3. The bodgy waste pipe GPS unit holder, worked a treat, and although veering slightly over to one side by the time Sunday came around, I was surprisd how little vibration there was troubling the unit over the weekend, there was some but not half of what i had anticipated. I follow a basic   track, so clear vision is everything. It was never a problem to read the line of navigation. Was there some vibration? Yes, of course, but it was never a problem. Reading the screen in bright sunlight presents many more restricting factors for me. Given a bit more thought, I would say there is definite mileage in a design like this.

And the downside, and it's a big downside as regards riding brevets - and that's how they climb - slowly and steadily with lots of close incremental gearing. They are what they are. I knew that anyway. Mind you, some rides are better than others for recumbents. Give me long gradual climbs and swooping long descents any day of the week as opposed to short sharp ups and downs. But I'm no fast cyclist anyway regardless of what I ride, so what does it really matter? Certainly at the moment stability and balance are much more important.

And I don't need to talk about descending.

As for PBP - the final curtain for payment in the UK is Saturday. I'm still procrastinating, but I might give the Trice a go on PBP. If that happens - I'm building a [luggage] tailbox, for sure.
Garry Broad

« Reply #24 on: 26 June, 2023, 06:14:08 pm »

[Does anybody know what the model number is for these Sturmey Archer single-sided brake hubs? I can't see anything visible on the casing. I think I'll need to service the hubs, the bearings have got some play.             

The single sided hubs are Sturmey X-SD though I would imagine they share most of their internals with the regular X-FD brake hubs.