Author Topic: wireless computers + Recumbent trikes  (Read 4313 times)

wireless computers + Recumbent trikes
« on: 22 May, 2013, 02:21:30 pm »
I am lusting after the VDO MC 2.0 wl, my LBS says it will work if I mount the sensor as usual on my ICE trike and the computer head on the ICE bottle cage mount computer bracket, has anyone any experience concerning wireless on trikes ?
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Re: wireless computers + Recumbent trikes
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2013, 08:27:26 pm »
I run Cateye Strada on the ice without any problems :thumbsup:
Head unit is mounted on RH handlebar.

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2013, 10:05:42 am »
i have used a wireless computer on my trikes before although i am using a wired one at present  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2013, 12:43:14 pm »
I've only got a bike rather than a trike (what do I mean ONLY!!) and the biggest problem I have with my cycle computer is the sensor as its a combined unit for cadence and wheel speed. As it's a GPS unit (Garmin 705) I use the sensor for cadence and let GPS take care of my speed. I'd still like to have the wheel sensor employed as well though :(
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2013, 12:57:19 pm »
Don't know if it's still the case but on Cateye wired computers with cadence (e.g. the Astrale) it was possible to separate the two wires.  I've done this on a Speedmachine, a Baron, a Kingcycle and a Trice.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2013, 01:05:02 pm »
Don't know if it's still the case but on Cateye wired computers with cadence (e.g. the Astrale) it was possible to separate the two wires.  I've done this on a Speedmachine, a Baron, a Kingcycle and a Trice.

Given a can-do attitude, asbestos fingers, a soldering iron and some hot glue, it's always possible to separate the two wires.  :)

I have Specialized Speedzone computers (which have a nice big display, ideal for dérailleur post mounting) modified to put the cadence sensor on a short wire direct from the bracket on the Streetmachine and ICE trike.  The un-modified speed sensor wire, which is designed to reach the rear wheel on a DF is long enough to reach the front wheel on both.  I appreciate that wireless is significantly less faffy, though.  As long as the signal's strong enough...

FWIW, the ICE sensor mount is only necessary if you aren't going to keep the mudguards attached, otherwise the horizontal bit of the mudguard stay does the job just fine.

« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2013, 01:42:08 pm »
I run Cateye Strada on the ice without any problems :thumbsup:
Head unit is mounted on RH handlebar.

Ah, but what I want to do is 1. sensor in usual (?) place right front wheel. 2. computer head on special ICE bottle cage/computer mount at the centre of the trike and 3. cadence sensor on front mech post.
               According to one of the people in Bike Zone Oxford it will work, (thinks as signal is coded so not to intefere with other bikes surely that means signal is not just a narrow beam).
               With me not speaking German and the lady at VDO not speaking English the conversation was (as you can imagine) a little inconclusive what with me trying not to adopt the "ve haff ze computah" style of speech.
               Mind, if it doesn't work that way I shall fettle a nice bracket and place it on the mudguard bracket between steering head and mudguard bracket proper, be a shame though as would look nice and tidy the way I want it.   :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 23 May, 2013, 01:46:59 pm »
According to one of the people in Bike Zone Oxford it will work, (thinks as signal is coded so not to intefere with other bikes surely that means signal is not just a narrow beam).

It's nearfield induction.  Not particularly directional, but *extremely* sensitive to range.

« Reply #8 on: 23 May, 2013, 01:50:05 pm »
I've only got experience of wireless computer on my recumbent bike. It's only an Aldi computer. The signal range is about 18" so handlebar mounting was out of range.

It shows a speed of 44mph when propped up near the back door because it picks up the signal from our cat-flap.  :facepalm:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #9 on: 23 May, 2013, 02:14:32 pm »
Fast cat flap   :o

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #10 on: 23 May, 2013, 03:17:27 pm »

Given a can-do attitude, asbestos fingers, a soldering iron and some hot glue, it's always possible to separate the two wires.  :)

I have Specialized Speedzone computers (which have a nice big display, ideal for dérailleur post mounting) modified to put the cadence sensor on a short wire direct from the bracket on the Streetmachine and ICE trike.  The un-modified speed sensor wire, which is designed to reach the rear wheel on a DF is long enough to reach the front wheel on both.  I appreciate that wireless is significantly less faffy, though.  As long as the signal's strong enough...

FWIW, the ICE sensor mount is only necessary if you aren't going to keep the mudguards attached, otherwise the horizontal bit of the mudguard stay does the job just fine.
The Garmin sensor is a block with a sensor for the cadence in it and a hinged are with a sensor for the wheel magnet. I've taken the wheel sensor arm off the sensor unit and there are two separate wires within with very little slack.

Now I have the pre-requisite soldering iron, asbestos fingers and hot glue as well a stock of pcb and magnet core threading wires and have visited the problem already. The plan was to split open the sensor arm and cut then extend the wires, tape up and fettle a mounting for the wheel sensor. However, my attempts at non-destructive dismantling were thwarted by the glue used to stick the dame thing together. This meant it was a one way process and given I'm not sure what physics are used by the sensor (current generation or switched) I was unsure if there would be a length of wire limit so bottled out of breaking my expensive new cycle computer.

I admit I haven't revisited it since, but it's probably old enough for me to accept the destructive dismantling (with the thought of a shiny new computer in the back of my mind  ;D :-[) so I might have a go this weekend :)
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 23 May, 2013, 03:42:59 pm »
If there's a (barely audible) click when you bring the magnet close to the switch, that confirms that it's a reed switch - which is a simple switch, shouldn't be fussy about cable length to within the few metres you're likely to want on a bike.  In which case you could graft a spare sensor (from a sacrificial Aldi computer maybe?) onto the existing wiring, solving the mounting problem.

Glue and snappy plastic are the really hard bit of fettling electronics these days  >:(

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #12 on: 23 May, 2013, 04:22:00 pm »
For the Garmin Edge, you can use separate ANT+ sensors for speed and cadence. See this thread: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=64668.0
Though I think its pretty pointless to use a speed sensor, using GPS for speed will be good enough (unless you are cycling through a tunnel).

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #13 on: 23 May, 2013, 05:57:02 pm »
If there's a (barely audible) click when you bring the magnet close to the switch, that confirms that it's a reed switch - which is a simple switch, shouldn't be fussy about cable length to within the few metres you're likely to want on a bike.  In which case you could graft a spare sensor (from a sacrificial Aldi computer maybe?) onto the existing wiring, solving the mounting problem.

Glue and snappy plastic are the really hard bit of fettling electronics these days  >:(
Ah, a common sense approach. I was trying to think how I could test it electronically  :facepalm: It also makes sense (see what I did there  O:-)) that it would be a reed as a coil would be just too finicky in a real world setting

Looking at the Ant+ compatability table, it seems that the Edge705 will only work with the combined sensors, not the separate ones  >:(

But looking at that and alternatives, I think my new approach is bodge my existing sensor as planned, perhaps with the use of a sacrificial Aldi unit as suggested by Kim) and if I really bugger it up, get something sensors to work with my iPhone and sell the 705 on

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 23 May, 2013, 06:09:55 pm »
A Hall sensor would be the alternative option, but given the power requirement and how well reed switches work in practice I can't imagine anyone actually using one.

I'm mildly surprised that nobody's thought to make a computer (perhaps integrated with a front light) that measures the frequency of your hub dynamo, though.  If only because there'd be plenty of power available for a backlight...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #15 on: 23 May, 2013, 06:49:37 pm »
You can get ANT+ combined sensors, which have a wire in between the speed and cadence parts. So it shouldn't be too hard to extend this wire.
eg this one from Decathlon is fairly cheap: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/ant-speed-rate-sensor-id_8181211.html